Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?

Doc

Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?
Just starting a thread on people's opinions on which firewall they are
using with Vista. I using Vista's firewall, with "Vista Firewall Control".
Any other comments or suggestions on a third party firewall or control,
for Vista?
TIA for your time.
Malke

Re: Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?
Doc wrote:

> Just starting a thread on people's opinions on which firewall they are
> using with Vista. I using Vista's firewall, with "Vista Firewall Control".
> Any other comments or suggestions on a third party firewall or control,
> for Vista?
> TIA for your time.

The built-in firewall that comes with Vista is adequate for most people. I
don't recommend ZoneAlarm in any case.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?
Vista's own firewall works fine for me.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Doc" <darrell_s_kelly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just starting a thread on people's opinions on which firewall they are
> using with Vista. I using Vista's firewall, with "Vista Firewall Control".
> Any other comments or suggestions on a third party firewall or control,
> for Vista?
> TIA for your time.

Ian Samson

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> Vista's own firewall works fine for me.

And just to get a spoke in the wheel, I switched off Windows Firewall in
preference for ZoneAlarm. Why? I don't trust it. ZoneAlarm works fine on
my Windows 2000 Pro machine as well as on my XP Home machine, so why
should it not work fine on my two Vista laptops too? I am also a tad
suspicious of the Windows Firewall for very personal reasons.
Doc

Ian Samson wrote:
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> Vista's own firewall works fine for me.
>>

> And just to get a spoke in the wheel, I switched off Windows Firewall in
> preference for ZoneAlarm. Why? I don't trust it. ZoneAlarm works fine on
> my Windows 2000 Pro machine as well as on my XP Home machine, so why
> should it not work fine on my two Vista laptops too? I am also a tad
> suspicious of the Windows Firewall for very personal reasons.

Thanks to all for your timely response. Any more comments from others??
John Amendall

Re: Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:31:25 +0200, Ian Samson <iansamson3@gmail.com>
wrote:

>John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> Vista's own firewall works fine for me.
>>

>And just to get a spoke in the wheel, I switched off Windows Firewall in
>preference for ZoneAlarm. Why? I don't trust it. ZoneAlarm works fine on
>my Windows 2000 Pro machine as well as on my XP Home machine, so why
>should it not work fine on my two Vista laptops too? I am also a tad
>suspicious of the Windows Firewall for very personal reasons.

Get a router and you won't even need a firewall.
John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?
I have nothing against Zone Alarm, in fact it is installed on my laptop
running Windows XP. Initially, during the early beta tests, like so many
other things, Zone Alarm wouldn't even look at Vista; in that respect I
always had problems. Because of the problems with third party firewalls
during the beta stages, I used the windows firewall and have never bothered
to install any other firewall onto my machine. Obviously the internet
connection goes through my router firewall and then through the windows
firewall and, 'touch wood' I haven't had any problems so far.

"Ian Samson" <iansamson3@gmail.com> wrote in message
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> Vista's own firewall works fine for me.
>>

> And just to get a spoke in the wheel, I switched off Windows Firewall in
> preference for ZoneAlarm. Why? I don't trust it. ZoneAlarm works fine on
> my Windows 2000 Pro machine as well as on my XP Home machine, so why
> should it not work fine on my two Vista laptops too? I am also a tad
> suspicious of the Windows Firewall for very personal reasons.

John Amendall

Re: Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:41:01 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
<freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Obviously the internet
>connection goes through my router firewall and then through the windows
>firewall and, 'touch wood' I haven't had any problems so far.

Why do you even use the Windows firewall when you have the router
firewall between the Internet and your machine?
Andrew Rossmann

Re: Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?
In article <uPY56v34IHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, iansamson3@gmail.com
says...
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
> > Vista's own firewall works fine for me.
> >

> And just to get a spoke in the wheel, I switched off Windows Firewall in
> preference for ZoneAlarm. Why? I don't trust it. ZoneAlarm works fine on
> my Windows 2000 Pro machine as well as on my XP Home machine, so why
> should it not work fine on my two Vista laptops too? I am also a tad
> suspicious of the Windows Firewall for very personal reasons.

Just ask those whose Internet got blocked because ZA didn't like a new
file updated by Microsoft.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Andrew Rossmann

Re: Vista Firewall or Free Zone Alarm?
In article <q5af74h84v1pmn6v45dn0mjpmogd40ipd5@4ax.com>,
jamend@spaceout.com says...
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:31:25 +0200, Ian Samson <iansamson3@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >John Barnett MVP wrote:
> >> Vista's own firewall works fine for me.
> >>

> >And just to get a spoke in the wheel, I switched off Windows Firewall in
> >preference for ZoneAlarm. Why? I don't trust it. ZoneAlarm works fine on
> >my Windows 2000 Pro machine as well as on my XP Home machine, so why
> >should it not work fine on my two Vista laptops too? I am also a tad
> >suspicious of the Windows Firewall for very personal reasons.

> Get a router and you won't even need a firewall.

But do routers firewall between computers, or only between the WAN and
LAN?

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross