Networking simpleton: DNS help needed

GeezerButler

Networking simpleton: DNS help needed
My networking skills are non-existant, so beware of stupidity.

I am writing software which needs to read users from Active Directory.
I have written some code and I need to test it. I am running a Vista
Home machine.

I need to add some test values into Active Directory users but it
needs to connect to a domain/domain controller. When I try to add a
DNS server using my own computer, it says DNS server is not running.
When I try to add a DNS server using my ISP, it says DNS server is not
a Windows 2003 Server.. etc.

So basically, is there anyting I can do to setup some sort of a local
DNS server to just get my code tested?

Malke

Re: Networking simpleton: DNS help needed
GeezerButler wrote:

> My networking skills are non-existant, so beware of stupidity.
>
> I am writing software which needs to read users from Active Directory.
> I have written some code and I need to test it. I am running a Vista
> Home machine.
>
> I need to add some test values into Active Directory users but it
> needs to connect to a domain/domain controller. When I try to add a
> DNS server using my own computer, it says DNS server is not running.
> When I try to add a DNS server using my ISP, it says DNS server is not
> a Windows 2003 Server.. etc.
>
> So basically, is there anyting I can do to setup some sort of a local
> DNS server to just get my code tested?

You might consider posting this in a developer's newsgroup with possibly a
crosspost to one of the server groups. Here's a list of all the MS public
newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

As an aside, if you often write code for other operating systems, you should
set up a computer running that OS. Many people do this by using virtual
computing - either MS Virtual PC or VMware (my preference). You will need a
licensed copy of the OS that is going to run in a virtual machine, of
course.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Kerry Brown

> GeezerButler wrote:
>
>> My networking skills are non-existant, so beware of stupidity.
>>
>> I am writing software which needs to read users from Active Directory.
>> I have written some code and I need to test it. I am running a Vista
>> Home machine.
>>
>> I need to add some test values into Active Directory users but it
>> needs to connect to a domain/domain controller. When I try to add a
>> DNS server using my own computer, it says DNS server is not running.
>> When I try to add a DNS server using my ISP, it says DNS server is not
>> a Windows 2003 Server.. etc.
>>
>> So basically, is there anyting I can do to setup some sort of a local
>> DNS server to just get my code tested?

> You might consider posting this in a developer's newsgroup with possibly a
> crosspost to one of the server groups. Here's a list of all the MS public
> newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
>
> As an aside, if you often write code for other operating systems, you
> should
> set up a computer running that OS. Many people do this by using virtual
> computing - either MS Virtual PC or VMware (my preference). You will need
> licensed copy of the OS that is going to run in a virtual machine, of
> course.

I agree with Malke except I prefer VPC on a Windows computer. You can use an
evaluation copy of Windows Server in a virtual machine.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb430831.aspx

I don't know of any way to fake Active Directory. You need the real thing.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/