Strange ICS problem lately

Sandeep Lohchab

Strange ICS problem lately
Hello everybody,

I have come across this serios problem lately. Hope some genius person can
assist in figuring out the problem for me.I have DSL broadband internet at
home. I have 3 PCs and all have Windows XP installed on it. Main computer
has XP SP3 and other two has XP SP2 installed. DSL modem is connected to
main PC. I use Network hub to connect other 2 PCs to main computer. I have
set Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on main PC properly. I did this by
following Network setup wizard correctly (i.e. selecing "This computer
connects directly to the internet." in "Select a connection method" for main
PC and for other PCs I selected "Other option and then next option through a
network hub).

Everything works fine, other PCs can access internet but my problem is each
time when I switch off any PC, then again I have to follow Network setup
procedure on my main PC. Everyday I have to do this same thing. Please let
me know what could be wrong here.

Thanks in advance.

Sandeep

Gordon

Re: Strange ICS problem lately
"Sandeep Lohchab" <sandeeplohchab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have come across this serios problem lately. Hope some genius person can
> assist in figuring out the problem for me.I have DSL broadband internet at
> home. I have 3 PCs and all have Windows XP installed on it. Main computer
> has XP SP3 and other two has XP SP2 installed. DSL modem is connected to
> main PC. I use Network hub to connect other 2 PCs to main computer. I have
> set Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on main PC properly. I did this by
> following Network setup wizard correctly (i.e. selecing "This computer
> connects directly to the internet." in "Select a connection method" for
> main
> PC and for other PCs I selected "Other option and then next option through
> network hub).
>
> Everything works fine, other PCs can access internet but my problem is
> each
> time when I switch off any PC, then again I have to follow Network setup
> procedure on my main PC. Everyday I have to do this same thing. Please let
> me know what could be wrong here.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sandeep

Not an answer per se, but wouldn't it solve all these problems if you'd
bought a router and plugged it directly into the hub?

Dave

Re: Strange ICS problem lately
This is a Vista group, not XP.

However, I'd forget about using ICS, and get a router instead of the hub.

DSL modem -> router -> 3 PCs

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
> This is a Vista group, not XP.
>
> However, I'd forget about using ICS, and get a router instead of the hub.
>
> DSL modem -> router -> 3 PCs

The router would then need three Ethernet ports......as he's already got a
hub, just buy a cheaper router with one ethernet port....