Vista's complicated wireless printing capability

surfmavk

Vista's complicated wireless printing capability
Problem:

1. XP Home computer wired to HP printer
2. Had a previous XP Professional laptop connected wirelessly to this
shared printer and printed out easily using the wizard.
3. New Vista laptop connects to wireless network but can not print with
this shared printer.
4. Updated HP driver for Vista so I could print when WIRED to printer.
5. Could not update driver for Vista on computer with XP Home version,
thinking that is what I needed for the Vista laptop to wirelessly connect and
print to the HP printer.

What is the problem? Vista is maddening! I have spent weeks on this
problem. If I could get another step-by-step tutorial, I will try it,
although I think I have exhausted almost every scenario.

Advice is warmly welcomed please, especially if it can't be done because the
two OS's are incompatible, i.e., XP Home vs Vista, I would like to know that
as well since my head hurts.
surfmavk

RE: Vista's complicated wireless printing capability
One thing left out. This is the Vista Ultimate OS.

"surfmavk" wrote:

> Problem:
>
> 1. XP Home computer wired to HP printer
> 2. Had a previous XP Professional laptop connected wirelessly to this
> shared printer and printed out easily using the wizard.
> 3. New Vista laptop connects to wireless network but can not print with
> this shared printer.
> 4. Updated HP driver for Vista so I could print when WIRED to printer.
> 5. Could not update driver for Vista on computer with XP Home version,
> thinking that is what I needed for the Vista laptop to wirelessly connect and
> print to the HP printer.
>
> What is the problem? Vista is maddening! I have spent weeks on this
> problem. If I could get another step-by-step tutorial, I will try it,
> although I think I have exhausted almost every scenario.
>
> Advice is warmly welcomed please, especially if it can't be done because the
> two OS's are incompatible, i.e., XP Home vs Vista, I would like to know that
> as well since my head hurts.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista's complicated wireless printing capability
Below is how to Network XP and Vista
1. You don't use a vista printer Driver in an XP computer?
2. You don;t say whether you have Networked them(workgroup name the same,
etc( for file and printer sharing!
3. read down the bottom about XP's file and Printer Sharing Wizard.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"surfmavk" wrote:

> One thing left out. This is the Vista Ultimate OS.
>
> "surfmavk" wrote:
>
> > Problem:
> >
> > 1. XP Home computer wired to HP printer
> > 2. Had a previous XP Professional laptop connected wirelessly to this
> > shared printer and printed out easily using the wizard.
> > 3. New Vista laptop connects to wireless network but can not print with
> > this shared printer.
> > 4. Updated HP driver for Vista so I could print when WIRED to printer.
> > 5. Could not update driver for Vista on computer with XP Home version,
> > thinking that is what I needed for the Vista laptop to wirelessly connect and
> > print to the HP printer.
> >
> > What is the problem? Vista is maddening! I have spent weeks on this
> > problem. If I could get another step-by-step tutorial, I will try it,
> > although I think I have exhausted almost every scenario.
> >
> > Advice is warmly welcomed please, especially if it can't be done because the
> > two OS's are incompatible, i.e., XP Home vs Vista, I would like to know that
> > as well since my head hurts.

surfmavk

RE: Vista's complicated wireless printing capability
Mick,
All of these things were set. What I did not have was the SP3 patch,
"Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running
Windows XP" that was released July 1st. This is a critical patch for anyone
whose Vista computer does not see their XP computer.

Hopefully, this will help. We'll see.
Thanks for your effort.