Network Share Vista/XP

Clayton

Network Share Vista/XP
For months I was able to drop a XP machine onto the network and access a
shared drive on my Vista machine without having to log the XP machines in
with my username and password, now I am unable to do it, keeps saying
\\Server\D is not accessible
I have formatted the computers and tried everything but still no go.

Any idea's?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Share Vista/XP
In the XP command, run this command: net share. Then ipconfig command to
find XP ip address. In Vista command, run this command: net view
\\xpipaddress. Post all results here.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Clayton" <claytonNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> For months I was able to drop a XP machine onto the network and access a
> shared drive on my Vista machine without having to log the XP machines in
> with my username and password, now I am unable to do it, keeps saying
> \\Server\D is not accessible
> I have formatted the computers and tried everything but still no go.
>
> Any idea's?

Clayton

Re: Network Share Vista/XP
ok this info is from the XP machine

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>net share

Share name Resource Remark

ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
C$ C:\ Default share
IPC$ Remote IPC
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

C:\Documents and Settings\user>

Not sure what command you want me to run from the Vista machine would it be
net view\\192.168.1.39 ?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> In the XP command, run this command: net share. Then ipconfig command to
> find XP ip address. In Vista command, run this command: net view
> \\xpipaddress. Post all results here.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Clayton" <claytonNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> For months I was able to drop a XP machine onto the network and access a
>> shared drive on my Vista machine without having to log the XP machines in
>> with my username and password, now I am unable to do it, keeps saying
>> \\Server\D is not accessible
>> I have formatted the computers and tried everything but still no go.
>>
>> Any idea's?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Share Vista/XP
From the net share command, we can see the D drive doesn't enable sharing so
that you receive "\\Server\D is not accessible".

--
"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> ok this info is from the XP machine
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\user>net share
>
> Share name Resource Remark

> ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
> C$ C:\ Default share
> IPC$ Remote IPC
> The command completed successfully.
>

> C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>

> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\user>
>
> Not sure what command you want me to run from the Vista machine would it
> be net view\\192.168.1.39 ?
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> In the XP command, run this command: net share. Then ipconfig command to
>> find XP ip address. In Vista command, run this command: net view
>> \\xpipaddress. Post all results here.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Clayton" <claytonNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> For months I was able to drop a XP machine onto the network and access a
>>> shared drive on my Vista machine without having to log the XP machines
>>> in with my username and password, now I am unable to do it, keeps saying
>>> \\Server\D is not accessible
>>> I have formatted the computers and tried everything but still no go.
>>>
>>> Any idea's?

Clayton

Re: Network Share Vista/XP
I can access the D drive on the Vista pc if I create an account on the XP
machine that is the same on the vista machine then logon, but I never had to
do that before and I am beginning to think it is either a Vista SP-1 problem
or a microsoft update after SP-1.
I guess I could turn back on the password protected sharing on the vista
machine and enter a username and password everytime I access the D drive but
now that doesn't work, I'm still getting \\Server\D is not accessible
I do alot of computer repairs and drop the customers xp pc on the network
then access \\Server\D for files etc to install, so I don't want to start
creating user accounts on their machines so I can access \\Server\D