Vista Network Map

seniorshot

Vista Network Map
I have a vista machine (Home premium)and 2 XP machines (1 Home and 1
proffessional) networked.
Firstly can I say that File and printer sharing is working perfectly on all
machines.

My problem (minor as it might be) is that I cannot see either of the XP
machines on the Vista network map in "Network and Sharing Centre".
Microsoft solution to this problem is to install SP3 on the xp machines.
This is what I have done but it has NOT solved the problem.
I have installed SP3 KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe on both XP machines. The LLTP
responder files are not included in this SP3 version. The LLTP discovery
responder box is not shown in the LAN connection properties. I believe that
the 3 files required are rspndr.sys, rspndr.exe and rspndr.inf. None of these
files are present on either of the XP machines. I was told that an earlier
version of XP SP3 (KB922120-v5-x86-enu.exe) included these 3 files, but since
I have installed the later version of SP3 I cannot install this earlier
version.

My question is how do I obtain manually the files to make the LLTP Responder
work and how and where do I install them ? Microsoft information on this
subject definately appears to be incorrect.
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Network Map
In vista Nerwork and Sharing do you have Network Discovery:ON
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"seniorshot" wrote:

> I have a vista machine (Home premium)and 2 XP machines (1 Home and 1
> proffessional) networked.
> Firstly can I say that File and printer sharing is working perfectly on all
> machines.
>
> My problem (minor as it might be) is that I cannot see either of the XP
> machines on the Vista network map in "Network and Sharing Centre".
> Microsoft solution to this problem is to install SP3 on the xp machines.
> This is what I have done but it has NOT solved the problem.
> I have installed SP3 KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe on both XP machines. The LLTP
> responder files are not included in this SP3 version. The LLTP discovery
> responder box is not shown in the LAN connection properties. I believe that
> the 3 files required are rspndr.sys, rspndr.exe and rspndr.inf. None of these
> files are present on either of the XP machines. I was told that an earlier
> version of XP SP3 (KB922120-v5-x86-enu.exe) included these 3 files, but since
> I have installed the later version of SP3 I cannot install this earlier
> version.
>
> My question is how do I obtain manually the files to make the LLTP Responder
> work and how and where do I install them ? Microsoft information on this
> subject definately appears to be incorrect.

seniorshot

RE: Vista Network Map
In answer to your question Mick the answer is YES. The problem is definately
that the LLTP responder files are not present. The question is how do I
obtain and install them.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> In vista Nerwork and Sharing do you have Network Discovery:ON
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "seniorshot" wrote:
>
> > I have a vista machine (Home premium)and 2 XP machines (1 Home and 1
> > proffessional) networked.
> > Firstly can I say that File and printer sharing is working perfectly on all
> > machines.
> >
> > My problem (minor as it might be) is that I cannot see either of the XP
> > machines on the Vista network map in "Network and Sharing Centre".
> > Microsoft solution to this problem is to install SP3 on the xp machines.
> > This is what I have done but it has NOT solved the problem.
> > I have installed SP3 KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe on both XP machines. The LLTP
> > responder files are not included in this SP3 version. The LLTP discovery
> > responder box is not shown in the LAN connection properties. I believe that
> > the 3 files required are rspndr.sys, rspndr.exe and rspndr.inf. None of these
> > files are present on either of the XP machines. I was told that an earlier
> > version of XP SP3 (KB922120-v5-x86-enu.exe) included these 3 files, but since
> > I have installed the later version of SP3 I cannot install this earlier
> > version.
> >
> > My question is how do I obtain manually the files to make the LLTP Responder
> > work and how and where do I install them ? Microsoft information on this
> > subject definately appears to be incorrect.

Gordon

Re: Vista Network Map
"seniorshot" <seniorshot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In answer to your question Mick the answer is YES. The problem is
> definately
> that the LLTP responder files are not present. The question is how do I
> obtain and install them.

Have a look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120/en-us

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Vista Network Map
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 03:57:02 -0700, seniorshot
<seniorshot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>In answer to your question Mick the answer is YES. The problem is definately
>that the LLTP responder files are not present. The question is how do I
>obtain and install them.
>
>"Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> In vista Nerwork and Sharing do you have Network Discovery:ON
>> --
>> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>>

>> "seniorshot" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a vista machine (Home premium)and 2 XP machines (1 Home and 1
>> > proffessional) networked.
>> > Firstly can I say that File and printer sharing is working perfectly on all
>> > machines.
>> >
>> > My problem (minor as it might be) is that I cannot see either of the XP
>> > machines on the Vista network map in "Network and Sharing Centre".
>> > Microsoft solution to this problem is to install SP3 on the xp machines.
>> > This is what I have done but it has NOT solved the problem.
>> > I have installed SP3 KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe on both XP machines. The LLTP
>> > responder files are not included in this SP3 version. The LLTP discovery
>> > responder box is not shown in the LAN connection properties. I believe that
>> > the 3 files required are rspndr.sys, rspndr.exe and rspndr.inf. None of these
>> > files are present on either of the XP machines. I was told that an earlier
>> > version of XP SP3 (KB922120-v5-x86-enu.exe) included these 3 files, but since
>> > I have installed the later version of SP3 I cannot install this earlier
>> > version.
>> >
>> > My question is how do I obtain manually the files to make the LLTP Responder
>> > work and how and where do I install them ? Microsoft information on this
>> > subject definately appears to be incorrect.

You must also ask yourself an additional question:
"Is my Network 'Private' (i.e., 'my machines are all connected to the
same router and assigned a network address via DHCP something like
this: [10.x.x.x], thus not being directly accessible from the
Internet'), or 'Public' (i.e., 'each of my machines are directly
accessible from the Internet')?"

I do apologize for any grammatical errors, but I don't know how to
properly format three contigious punctuation marks within quotes. If
you know where the question mark should properly be placed in the
above sentence, please let me know.

If the answer is "Public", you will not be able to see all devices on
the Network until you set your Network to be "Private".

Donald L McDaniel
PaulB

RE: Vista Network Map
HI,

I had this same problem and am still trying to get Microsoft support to
determine why it does not seem to be in SP3 like they say.
However, I found two ways to deal with it.
1. If you install the LLTD before you install SP3, it works fine.

2. After SP3 or when you do a fresh install of XP SP3, even though the
protocol won't self install you can install it youself by first

Download the LLTD hotfix KB922120

and extract the required files.

Here's how to do it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828030

In the folder where you extract to you will find a folder SP2QFE.
Open this and you will find the required files.

Then copy the rspndr.sys to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder,
rspndr.exe to C:\Windows\System32 folder.
rspndr.inf (inside ip folder) to C:\Windows\Inf folder
Then open a Command prompt as administrator and navigate to the
C:\Windows\System32 folder and type rspndr.exe -i
This will install the LLTD responder.

--
Paul

"seniorshot" wrote:

> I have a vista machine (Home premium)and 2 XP machines (1 Home and 1
> proffessional) networked.
> Firstly can I say that File and printer sharing is working perfectly on all
> machines.
>
> My problem (minor as it might be) is that I cannot see either of the XP
> machines on the Vista network map in "Network and Sharing Centre".
> Microsoft solution to this problem is to install SP3 on the xp machines.
> This is what I have done but it has NOT solved the problem.
> I have installed SP3 KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe on both XP machines. The LLTP
> responder files are not included in this SP3 version. The LLTP discovery
> responder box is not shown in the LAN connection properties. I believe that
> the 3 files required are rspndr.sys, rspndr.exe and rspndr.inf. None of these
> files are present on either of the XP machines. I was told that an earlier
> version of XP SP3 (KB922120-v5-x86-enu.exe) included these 3 files, but since
> I have installed the later version of SP3 I cannot install this earlier
> version.
>
> My question is how do I obtain manually the files to make the LLTP Responder
> work and how and where do I install them ? Microsoft information on this
> subject definately appears to be incorrect.

seniorshot

RE: Vista Network Map
Paul thank you for that information. I am having difficulty following
KB828030 in order to extract the 3 relevant LLTP responder files.

Do I enter the string " windowsxp-kb922120-v5-x86-enu.exe -x:c\922120 "
into a command prompt or into the run box ?, I have tried both and neither
seem to work.

I do think if I can obtain the 3 relevant files I will solve the problem.

"PaulB" wrote:

> HI,
>
> I had this same problem and am still trying to get Microsoft support to
> determine why it does not seem to be in SP3 like they say.
> However, I found two ways to deal with it.
> 1. If you install the LLTD before you install SP3, it works fine.
>
> 2. After SP3 or when you do a fresh install of XP SP3, even though the
> protocol won't self install you can install it youself by first
>
> Download the LLTD hotfix KB922120

> and extract the required files.
>
> Here's how to do it.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828030
>
> In the folder where you extract to you will find a folder SP2QFE.
> Open this and you will find the required files.
>

> Then copy the rspndr.sys to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder,
> rspndr.exe to C:\Windows\System32 folder.
> rspndr.inf (inside ip folder) to C:\Windows\Inf folder
> Then open a Command prompt as administrator and navigate to the
> C:\Windows\System32 folder and type rspndr.exe -i
> This will install the LLTD responder.
>

> --
> Paul
>

> "seniorshot" wrote:
>
> > I have a vista machine (Home premium)and 2 XP machines (1 Home and 1
> > proffessional) networked.
> > Firstly can I say that File and printer sharing is working perfectly on all
> > machines.
> >
> > My problem (minor as it might be) is that I cannot see either of the XP
> > machines on the Vista network map in "Network and Sharing Centre".
> > Microsoft solution to this problem is to install SP3 on the xp machines.
> > This is what I have done but it has NOT solved the problem.
> > I have installed SP3 KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe on both XP machines. The LLTP
> > responder files are not included in this SP3 version. The LLTP discovery
> > responder box is not shown in the LAN connection properties. I believe that
> > the 3 files required are rspndr.sys, rspndr.exe and rspndr.inf. None of these
> > files are present on either of the XP machines. I was told that an earlier
> > version of XP SP3 (KB922120-v5-x86-enu.exe) included these 3 files, but since
> > I have installed the later version of SP3 I cannot install this earlier
> > version.
> >
> > My question is how do I obtain manually the files to make the LLTP Responder
> > work and how and where do I install them ? Microsoft information on this
> > subject definately appears to be incorrect.

PaulB

RE: Vista Network Map
Hi,
Enter the string into the coomand prompt that is open at an elevated level
(right click on the command prompt icon and select "Run as administrator")

WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe -x:c:\922120

You will then find the files in C:\922120

--
Paul

"seniorshot" wrote:

> Paul thank you for that information. I am having difficulty following
> KB828030 in order to extract the 3 relevant LLTP responder files.
>
> Do I enter the string " windowsxp-kb922120-v5-x86-enu.exe -x:c\922120 "
> into a command prompt or into the run box ?, I have tried both and neither
> seem to work.
>
> I do think if I can obtain the 3 relevant files I will solve the problem.
>
> "PaulB" wrote:
>
> > HI,
> >
> > I had this same problem and am still trying to get Microsoft support to
> > determine why it does not seem to be in SP3 like they say.
> > However, I found two ways to deal with it.
> > 1. If you install the LLTD before you install SP3, it works fine.
> >
> > 2. After SP3 or when you do a fresh install of XP SP3, even though the
> > protocol won't self install you can install it youself by first
> >
> > Download the LLTD hotfix KB922120
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >
> > and extract the required files.
> >
> > Here's how to do it.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828030
> >
> > In the folder where you extract to you will find a folder SP2QFE.
> > Open this and you will find the required files.
> >

> > Then copy the rspndr.sys to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder,
> > rspndr.exe to C:\Windows\System32 folder.
> > rspndr.inf (inside ip folder) to C:\Windows\Inf folder
> > Then open a Command prompt as administrator and navigate to the
> > C:\Windows\System32 folder and type rspndr.exe -i
> > This will install the LLTD responder.
> >

> > --
> > Paul
> >

> > "seniorshot" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a vista machine (Home premium)and 2 XP machines (1 Home and 1
> > > proffessional) networked.
> > > Firstly can I say that File and printer sharing is working perfectly on all
> > > machines.
> > >
> > > My problem (minor as it might be) is that I cannot see either of the XP
> > > machines on the Vista network map in "Network and Sharing Centre".
> > > Microsoft solution to this problem is to install SP3 on the xp machines.
> > > This is what I have done but it has NOT solved the problem.
> > > I have installed SP3 KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe on both XP machines. The LLTP
> > > responder files are not included in this SP3 version. The LLTP discovery
> > > responder box is not shown in the LAN connection properties. I believe that
> > > the 3 files required are rspndr.sys, rspndr.exe and rspndr.inf. None of these
> > > files are present on either of the XP machines. I was told that an earlier
> > > version of XP SP3 (KB922120-v5-x86-enu.exe) included these 3 files, but since
> > > I have installed the later version of SP3 I cannot install this earlier
> > > version.
> > >
> > > My question is how do I obtain manually the files to make the LLTP Responder
> > > work and how and where do I install them ? Microsoft information on this
> > > subject definately appears to be incorrect.

seniorshot

RE: Vista Network Map
Hi Paul. Thanks for your assistance.

I have entered the string as you explained into the Adminisrator Command
prompt.
the directory is c:\windows\system32> Unfortunately I get the following
error message : "windowsxp-kb922120-v5-x86-enu.exe -x:c:\922120 is not
recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file."

"PaulB" wrote:

> Hi,
> Enter the string into the coomand prompt that is open at an elevated level
> (right click on the command prompt icon and select "Run as administrator")
>
> WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe -x:c:\922120
>
> You will then find the files in C:\922120
>

> --
> Paul
>

> "seniorshot" wrote:
>
> > Paul thank you for that information. I am having difficulty following
> > KB828030 in order to extract the 3 relevant LLTP responder files.
> >
> > Do I enter the string " windowsxp-kb922120-v5-x86-enu.exe -x:c\922120 "
> > into a command prompt or into the run box ?, I have tried both and neither
> > seem to work.
> >
> > I do think if I can obtain the 3 relevant files I will solve the problem.
> >
> > "PaulB" wrote:
> >
> > > HI,
> > >
> > > I had this same problem and am still trying to get Microsoft support to
> > > determine why it does not seem to be in SP3 like they say.
> > > However, I found two ways to deal with it.
> > > 1. If you install the LLTD before you install SP3, it works fine.
> > >
> > > 2. After SP3 or when you do a fresh install of XP SP3, even though the
> > > protocol won't self install you can install it youself by first
> > >
> > > Download the LLTD hotfix KB922120
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> > >
> > > and extract the required files.
> > >
> > > Here's how to do it.
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828030
> > >
> > > In the folder where you extract to you will find a folder SP2QFE.
> > > Open this and you will find the required files.
> > >

> > > Then copy the rspndr.sys to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder,
> > > rspndr.exe to C:\Windows\System32 folder.
> > > rspndr.inf (inside ip folder) to C:\Windows\Inf folder
> > > Then open a Command prompt as administrator and navigate to the
> > > C:\Windows\System32 folder and type rspndr.exe -i
> > > This will install the LLTD responder.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Paul

PaulB

RE: Vista Network Map
The string must contain the full path to the downloaded file.
to make it easy copy the downloaded file to your User file.
Then open the command prompt without elevated privileges.

The prompt should then be c:\Users\your user name
Then enter the command

WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe -x:c:\922120

or you can type

C:\Users\your user name\WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe -x:c:\922120

--
Paul