Constantly Losing Wireless Connection

Bosconian is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Constantly Losing Wireless Connection
I have an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi laptop which I installed Vista on yesterday. I am constantly losing the wireless connection. The little icon in the bottom right goes from 2 screens with a earth symbol in front of it to 2 screens with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark.

There is nothing wrong with my router as my other PC is staying connected just fine.

I end up rebooting the laptop and the wireless is back for 10-15 minutes before disconnecting again.

Any help would be much appreciated as it's driving me mad.
Mick Murphy

RE: Constantly Losing Wireless Connection
1 Go to Acer's website and update the Network Adaptor Driver.
2. Update Firmware in router to make it Vista compatible.
3. Right-click your Network connection>Properties> unbind TCP/IPv6> see if
that makes an improvement.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bosconian" wrote:

> I have an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi laptop which I installed Vista on
> yesterday. I am constantly losing the wireless connection. The little
> icon in the bottom right goes from 2 screens with a earth symbol in
> front of it to 2 screens with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark.
>
> There is nothing wrong with my router as my other PC is staying
> connected just fine.
>
> I end up rebooting the laptop and the wireless is back for 10-15
> minutes before disconnecting again.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated as it's driving me mad.
>

> --
> Bosconian

Bosconian is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

The acer site doesn't have a driver for the wireless card for some reason. Drivers for most other things but not for that.

My router already has the latest firmware - I updated it last week. It is a Netgear DG834N. Works perfectly with Ubuntu on the same laptop.

Bosconian is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I've downloaded the latest wireless drivers from the Intel website and I have disabled the ipv6 but no difference. This is driving me mad having to reboot my laptop every 10 minutes.

I'm ready to forget it, reformat the drive and put a dodgy copy of XP on here. Sorry Microsoft but if you are completely incompetent at producing a stable OS, then I don't see why I cannot use my Vista license on a copy of XP.

Any last suggestions before I do?

Bosconian is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also tried turning off power management for the wireless adaptor as suggested elsewhere but it is still happening.

I would really like to get this fixed because I need my laptop for more important things than messing around with this but with a constantly dropping connection, that is impossible.

Is my only option to go back to XP or use Ubuntu?
Nonny

Re: Constantly Losing Wireless Connection
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:56:50 +0100, Bosconian
<Bosconian.3c9twe@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>I've also tried turning off power management for the wireless adaptor as
>suggested elsewhere but it is still happening.
>
>I would really like to get this fixed because I need my laptop for more
>important things than messing around with this but with a constantly
>dropping connection, that is impossible.
>
>Is my only option to go back to XP or use Ubuntu?

Most likely.

You should have checked to see if there were Vista drivers for your
equipment before you installed Vista.

It's not Microsoft's fault that you're having this problem, it's
yours.

Bosconian is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonny View Post
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:56:50 +0100, Bosconian
<Bosconian.3c9twe@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>I've also tried turning off power management for the wireless adaptor as
>suggested elsewhere but it is still happening.
>
>I would really like to get this fixed because I need my laptop for more
>important things than messing around with this but with a constantly
>dropping connection, that is impossible.
>
>Is my only option to go back to XP or use Ubuntu?

Most likely.

You should have checked to see if there were Vista drivers for your
equipment before you installed Vista.

It's not Microsoft's fault that you're having this problem, it's
yours.

There were Vista drivers for my equipment. I found the driver CD which cames with my laptop (my laptop also originally shipped with Vista installed). Still made no difference.

I removed it once because it was rubbish. I've just reformatted and removed it again because it is still rubbish. Ubuntu is my savour. Installed and working like a charm and a lot faster and more stable too.