Re: IE 7 Slow Connect Time

[Crossposted to Vista Networking newsgroup]

Just a question, not a recommendation or suggestion: Is Vista SP1 installed?

Have you checked with Dell Support to see if any hardware (e.g., modem;
network adapters) or BIOS updates are available for your PC?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jerry wrote:
> I use Vista on a Dell PC. I have my power options set for my PC to go to
> sleep mode after 20 minutes. When I wake my PC, my Internet Explorer
> connection does not connect for about 3 or 4 minutes. Resetting my modem
> and/or shutting down my PC does not help.
>
> Is there a solution to avoid this delay?
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

Jerry

Re: IE 7 Slow Connect Time
PA Bear -

SP 1 is installed. Just talked to Dell and my modem, Bios, and Network
Adapters are up to date. They had me do two things. One was to remove some
Start Up items and the other was to remove one of the wake-up options in Wake
on LAN for my network adapter. Unfortunately, my problem usually shows up
after my PC has been in the sleep mode for awhile. I say this because, as of
now, it is working. So, I am going to check it tomorrow morning to see if it
still is OK.

Jerry

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Vista Networking newsgroup]
>
> Just a question, not a recommendation or suggestion: Is Vista SP1 installed?
>
> Have you checked with Dell Support to see if any hardware (e.g., modem;
> network adapters) or BIOS updates are available for your PC?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Jerry wrote:
> > I use Vista on a Dell PC. I have my power options set for my PC to go to
> > sleep mode after 20 minutes. When I wake my PC, my Internet Explorer
> > connection does not connect for about 3 or 4 minutes. Resetting my modem
> > and/or shutting down my PC does not help.
> >
> > Is there a solution to avoid this delay?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jerry

Re: IE 7 Slow Connect Time
Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?

If the machine's still under Warranty or Service Contract, let Dell figure
it out.

Jerry wrote:
> SP 1 is installed. Just talked to Dell and my modem, Bios, and Network
> Adapters are up to date. They had me do two things. One was to remove
> some
> Start Up items and the other was to remove one of the wake-up options in
> Wake on LAN for my network adapter. Unfortunately, my problem usually
> shows up after my PC has been in the sleep mode for awhile. I say this
> because, as of now, it is working. So, I am going to check it tomorrow
> morning to see if it still is OK.
>
> Jerry
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crossposted to Vista Networking newsgroup]
>>
>> Just a question, not a recommendation or suggestion: Is Vista SP1
>> installed?
>>
>> Have you checked with Dell Support to see if any hardware (e.g., modem;
>> network adapters) or BIOS updates are available for your PC?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Jerry wrote:
>>> I use Vista on a Dell PC. I have my power options set for my PC to go
>>> sleep mode after 20 minutes. When I wake my PC, my Internet Explorer
>>> connection does not connect for about 3 or 4 minutes. Resetting my
>>> modem
>>> and/or shutting down my PC does not help.
>>>
>>> Is there a solution to avoid this delay?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jerry

Jerry

Re: IE 7 Slow Connect Time

PA Bear –
I installed SP 1 via Windows update. Here is the latest. The next morning
when I woke my PC, the problem was there (no Int. Exp. Connection for 3
minutes). I put the PC to sleep for 3 hours and when I woke it up, it worked
fine. I have talked to Dell a number of times with no solution. I think
they will eventually give up and have me reinstall Vista, which I am not
anxious to do. But, I will call them again.

What do you think if I do the following?
1. Hit F8 and choose Configure to the last known good configuration.
2. Or, hit F8 and choose Repair my computer.
Jerry

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
>
> If the machine's still under Warranty or Service Contract, let Dell figure
> it out.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Jerry wrote:
> > SP 1 is installed. Just talked to Dell and my modem, Bios, and Network
> > Adapters are up to date. They had me do two things. One was to remove
> > some
> > Start Up items and the other was to remove one of the wake-up options in
> > Wake on LAN for my network adapter. Unfortunately, my problem usually
> > shows up after my PC has been in the sleep mode for awhile. I say this
> > because, as of now, it is working. So, I am going to check it tomorrow
> > morning to see if it still is OK.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Crossposted to Vista Networking newsgroup]
> >>
> >> Just a question, not a recommendation or suggestion: Is Vista SP1
> >> installed?
> >>
> >> Have you checked with Dell Support to see if any hardware (e.g., modem;
> >> network adapters) or BIOS updates are available for your PC?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE 7 Slow Connect Time
Don't go messing around with those reboot (F8) options or you might end up
making matters worse. Contact either Dell or MS and follow their
instructions, Jerry.

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Jerry wrote:
> PA Bear –
> I installed SP 1 via Windows update. Here is the latest. The next
> morning
> when I woke my PC, the problem was there (no Int. Exp. Connection for 3
> minutes). I put the PC to sleep for 3 hours and when I woke it up, it
> worked fine. I have talked to Dell a number of times with no solution. I
> think they will eventually give up and have me reinstall Vista, which I am
> not anxious to do. But, I will call them again.
>
> What do you think if I do the following?
> 1. Hit F8 and choose Configure to the last known good configuration.
> 2. Or, hit F8 and choose Repair my computer.
> Jerry
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
>>
>> If the machine's still under Warranty or Service Contract, let Dell
>> figure
>> it out.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Jerry wrote:
>>> SP 1 is installed. Just talked to Dell and my modem, Bios, and Network
>>> Adapters are up to date. They had me do two things. One was to remove
>>> some
>>> Start Up items and the other was to remove one of the wake-up options in
>>> Wake on LAN for my network adapter. Unfortunately, my problem usually
>>> shows up after my PC has been in the sleep mode for awhile. I say this
>>> because, as of now, it is working. So, I am going to check it tomorrow
>>> morning to see if it still is OK.
>>>
>>> Jerry

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 7 Slow Connect Time
"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> PA Bear –
> I installed SP 1 via Windows update. Here is the latest. The next morning
> when I woke my PC, the problem was there

> (no Int. Exp. Connection for 3 minutes).

It may help if you elaborated on your symptom.
E.g. are you saying that it is only IE that exhibits this symptom?
What about Help and Support (e.g. press Win-F1) Support (Alt-u)
[Get help from Microsoft])? (That's XP's path; may be different in Vista?)
Or Windows Mail? Etc.

Otherwise what changes after 3 minutes? Monitor with all of:
ipconfig /all
nslookup www.microsoft.com
tracert www.microsoft.com
netstat -a
netsh diag gui

Again, those are XP diagnostics which may be different in Vista.
They would all be started from a cmd window, which I guess
in Vista's case might have to be Run As... Administrator?

(I don't have Vista and I'm not a networking spe******t;
that's why this thread was cross-posted to Vista Networking
but it looks like you haven't aroused any interest there yet. <w>)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> I put the PC to sleep for 3 hours and when I woke it up, it worked
> fine. I have talked to Dell a number of times with no solution. I think
> they will eventually give up and have me reinstall Vista, which I am not
> anxious to do. But, I will call them again.
>
> What do you think if I do the following?
> 1. Hit F8 and choose Configure to the last known good configuration.
> 2. Or, hit F8 and choose Repair my computer.
> Jerry
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
>>
>> If the machine's still under Warranty or Service Contract, let Dell figure
>> it out.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Jerry wrote:
>> > SP 1 is installed. Just talked to Dell and my modem, Bios, and Network
>> > Adapters are up to date. They had me do two things. One was to remove
>> > some
>> > Start Up items and the other was to remove one of the wake-up options in
>> > Wake on LAN for my network adapter. Unfortunately, my problem usually
>> > shows up after my PC has been in the sleep mode for awhile. I say this
>> > because, as of now, it is working. So, I am going to check it tomorrow
>> > morning to see if it still is OK.
>> >
>> > Jerry

Corbism

Re: IE 7 Slow Connect Time
Any latest info on this issue? I just received a new Dell M1530 laptop and
am experiencing the same exact symptoms. I was glad I found someone else
with a similar issue.

I use Vista Home Premium on a Dell M1530 laptop. When I wake the laptop up
from sleep mode, Internet Explorer 7 opens but, does not make a successful
connection to any website from anywhere from 15 seconds upwards to a minute.
Once I connect to a website, additional sites will take about 5-15 seconds to
connect. The problem will continue to exhibit itself until I restart the
laptop. After a restart, Internet Explorer 7 will immediately make a
connection to any website without delay.

Now, I went ahead and installed Firefox 3 and the problem does NOT exhibit
itself in Firefox 3. After I come out of sleep mode, I can open up Firefox 3
and get an immediate connection to any website. So, I believe I have
narrowed it down to an issue with Internet Explorer, Vista and sleep mode.

I haven't called Dell yet, as I really don't think they will have a clue.
Thought I would check here first. Any ideas?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Vista Networking newsgroup]
>
> Just a question, not a recommendation or suggestion: Is Vista SP1 installed?
>
> Have you checked with Dell Support to see if any hardware (e.g., modem;
> network adapters) or BIOS updates are available for your PC?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Jerry wrote:
> > I use Vista on a Dell PC. I have my power options set for my PC to go to
> > sleep mode after 20 minutes. When I wake my PC, my Internet Explorer
> > connection does not connect for about 3 or 4 minutes. Resetting my modem
> > and/or shutting down my PC does not help.
> >
> > Is there a solution to avoid this delay?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jerry

Re: IE 7 Slow Connect Time
Always begin a new thread about /your/ problems, Corbism.

That being said...

>> Just a question, not a recommendation or suggestion: Is Vista SP1
>> installed?
>>
>> Have you checked with Dell Support to see if any hardware (e.g., modem;
>> network adapters) or BIOS updates are available for your PC?

[I'm quite sure Dell may have a clue. Your machine's under warranty and
probably Service Contract.]

Corbism wrote:
> Any latest info on this issue? I just received a new Dell M1530 laptop
> and
> am experiencing the same exact symptoms. I was glad I found someone else
> with a similar issue.
>
> I use Vista Home Premium on a Dell M1530 laptop. When I wake the laptop
> up
> from sleep mode, Internet Explorer 7 opens but, does not make a successful
> connection to any website from anywhere from 15 seconds upwards to a
> minute.
> Once I connect to a website, additional sites will take about 5-15 seconds
> to connect. The problem will continue to exhibit itself until I restart
> the
> laptop. After a restart, Internet Explorer 7 will immediately make a
> connection to any website without delay.
>
> Now, I went ahead and installed Firefox 3 and the problem does NOT exhibit
> itself in Firefox 3. After I come out of sleep mode, I can open up
> Firefox
> 3 and get an immediate connection to any website. So, I believe I have
> narrowed it down to an issue with Internet Explorer, Vista and sleep mode.
>
> I haven't called Dell yet, as I really don't think they will have a clue.
> Thought I would check here first. Any ideas?
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crossposted to Vista Networking newsgroup]
>>
>> Just a question, not a recommendation or suggestion: Is Vista SP1
>> installed?
>>
>> Have you checked with Dell Support to see if any hardware (e.g., modem;
>> network adapters) or BIOS updates are available for your PC?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Jerry wrote:
>>> I use Vista on a Dell PC. I have my power options set for my PC to go
>>> sleep mode after 20 minutes. When I wake my PC, my Internet Explorer
>>> connection does not connect for about 3 or 4 minutes. Resetting my
>>> modem
>>> and/or shutting down my PC does not help.
>>>
>>> Is there a solution to avoid this delay?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jerry