Unknown computer on network

John

Unknown computer on network
I have three pc's on my wireless network. I looked at my network places
tojight and noticed a fourth. I clicked on it and it said windows cannot
access it. What do I do?
Nonny

Re: Unknown computer on network
John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have three pc's on my wireless network. I looked at my network places
>tojight and noticed a fourth. I clicked on it and it said windows cannot
>access it. What do I do?

Change your router's password.

Nonny <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote:

>John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have three pc's on my wireless network. I looked at my network places
>>tojight and noticed a fourth. I clicked on it and it said windows cannot
>>access it. What do I do?

>Change your router's password.

And then change the password needed to access the network.
Barb Bowman

Re: Unknown computer on network
first, change the SSID to something non personal but different than
what it was configured for at the factory.

then, setup WPA2 as security or at least WPA

then change the router password

I hate to suggest this, but you may already have had data theft,
malware or more.

was there a name for this 4th computer?

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 00:10:00 -0700, John

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
John

Re: Unknown computer on network
The other pc was named user-E3FE7BEC8A. After i saw, I turned off all the
network pc's and rebooted the router, the 4th pc was not there after reboot.
I changed the SSId and passwords this morning.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> first, change the SSID to something non personal but different than
> what it was configured for at the factory.
>
> then, setup WPA2 as security or at least WPA
>
> then change the router password
>
> I hate to suggest this, but you may already have had data theft,
> malware or more.
>
> was there a name for this 4th computer?
>
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 00:10:00 -0700, John
> <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have three pc's on my wireless network. I looked at my network places
> >tojight and noticed a fourth. I clicked on it and it said windows cannot
> >access it. What do I do?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Unknown computer on network
be sure to scan for malware, etc.

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:03:00 -0700, John
<John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The other pc was named user-E3FE7BEC8A. After i saw, I turned off all the
>network pc's and rebooted the router, the 4th pc was not there after reboot.
>I changed the SSId and passwords this morning.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> first, change the SSID to something non personal but different than
>> what it was configured for at the factory.
>>
>> then, setup WPA2 as security or at least WPA
>>
>> then change the router password
>>
>> I hate to suggest this, but you may already have had data theft,
>> malware or more.
>>
>> was there a name for this 4th computer?
>>
>> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 00:10:00 -0700, John
>> <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have three pc's on my wireless network. I looked at my network places
>> >tojight and noticed a fourth. I clicked on it and it said windows cannot
>> >access it. What do I do?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
flayofish

Re: Unknown computer on network
Dont forget to hide your SSID.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> be sure to scan for malware, etc.
>
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:03:00 -0700, John
> <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The other pc was named user-E3FE7BEC8A. After i saw, I turned off all the
> >network pc's and rebooted the router, the 4th pc was not there after reboot.
> >I changed the SSId and passwords this morning.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> first, change the SSID to something non personal but different than
> >> what it was configured for at the factory.
> >>
> >> then, setup WPA2 as security or at least WPA
> >>
> >> then change the router password
> >>
> >> I hate to suggest this, but you may already have had data theft,
> >> malware or more.
> >>
> >> was there a name for this 4th computer?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Malke

flayofish wrote:

> Dont forget to hide your SSID.

No, this is a common misconception. Not broadcasting the SSID provides no
security benefits and causes connectivity issues. The SSID should be
changed to something non-personal but recognizable - as MS. Bowman says -
and should be broadcast. The encryption should be the highest level
supported by all devices on the network and that is where the security
comes from.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Kerry Brown

Re: Unknown computer on network
Hiding the SSID does nothing for security. It is easily discovered.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/