Strange XP-Vista network problem

Gordon

Strange XP-Vista network problem
I have a desktop running XP Pro SP3 and a laptop running Vista Home Premium.
I have the same User account set up on both machines with the same password,
the only difference is that on the Vista machine this user is a Standard
User while on the XP machine, the User is an administrator. I also have
another User set up on the Vista machine, again passworded, but a different
password to the other two user accounts, which is an Administrator. (I use
the Standard Account for daily operation).
The strange thing is this: from the XP machine I can see SOME of the folders
in the Standard Account, and ALL the folders in the Admin Account, even
though the User name and password is NOT replicated on the XP machine! Can
anyone explain why I can't see all the Standard User account folders, (which
does have the same password) but I can see all the Admin account folders?
The only difference between the two accounts is that I have moved the
Standard User account's Documents folders to another drive using the
Properties-Location function.

Hans-Georg Michna

Re: Strange XP-Vista network problem
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:47:54 +0100, Gordon wrote:

>I have a desktop running XP Pro SP3 and a laptop running Vista Home Premium.
>I have the same User account set up on both machines with the same password,
>the only difference is that on the Vista machine this user is a Standard
>User while on the XP machine, the User is an administrator. I also have
>another User set up on the Vista machine, again passworded, but a different
>password to the other two user accounts, which is an Administrator. (I use
>the Standard Account for daily operation).
>The strange thing is this: from the XP machine I can see SOME of the folders
>in the Standard Account, and ALL the folders in the Admin Account, even
>though the User name and password is NOT replicated on the XP machine! Can
>anyone explain why I can't see all the Standard User account folders, (which
>does have the same password) but I can see all the Admin account folders?
>The only difference between the two accounts is that I have moved the
>Standard User account's Documents folders to another drive using the
>Properties-Location function.

Gordon,

if you have the rights to see them, you'll see them. It doesn't
matter where they are.

Even guests, anonymous users, or everybody can have such rights.

You need both of two different sets of rights, one for the share
and one for each object (file, folder, printer).

In fact, I don't understand what you mean by folders in
accounts. Folders aren't in accounts, they are on the hard disk.
Probably a misunderstanding somewhere.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
SG735

RE: Strange XP-Vista network problem
1. the very first thing you have to do to share the internet with xp and
vista is ....
do the following steps-
step1- on the XP first download an update for your windows..
i.e of LLTD link layer topology discovery from the windows microsoft's
site... install the

update and change the settings in local_machine registry get this way-
run regedit.exe > hkey_local_machine > system > currentcontrolset > control
> lsa >

and here find the restrictanonymous and change its value to 0 and then find

restrictanonymoussam and change its value to 1.
The above step enables Vista to see the XP and shows the full map of the
network when you

connect the two.
step2- On doing the above step now or before step 1 connect the two machines
and assign

them the addresses [static IPsss]
remember the client's IP and on the host if you are using any anti-virus
software then

configure it to trust your clients IP.
having set on XP to share the internet and configuuring the firewalls you
may now use the

ICS and LAN both at the same time.[Do remember to have the same workgroup]