Cant get Network sharing to work

MattE

Cant get Network sharing to work
Ok, i have all m network sharing turned on, I have followed a bunch of online
tutorials. I still cannot share or recieve files on my vista computer. It
works fine for my XP computer, just type in the path and its done. Not so
with the Vista machine.
Mick Murphy

RE: Cant get Network sharing to work

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"MattE" wrote:

> Ok, i have all m network sharing turned on, I have followed a bunch of online
> tutorials. I still cannot share or recieve files on my vista computer. It
> works fine for my XP computer, just type in the path and its done. Not so
> with the Vista machine.

David

RE: Cant get Network sharing to work
Mick-
I have done EVERYTHING that your referenced article states. I have turned
on everything that should be on and off everything that should be off. I
have run the Network Wizard on each machine, a Vista Desktop and an XP Pro
laptop. Right now the XP laptop "sees" the Desktop but cannot access it.
Right now, the Vista Desktop cannot "see" the laptop. The laptop normally
connects wireless but I have it connected by cable, just for something
different. I can't both machines to see each other at the same time and
neither can access the other when it "sees" it. I'm about to go nuts!! I
have turned Windowa Firewalls on and off. I do have Symantec Corporate
Edition Anti Virus but I can't find any Firewall settings in it.
Can anyone please help me???

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "MattE" wrote:
>
> > Ok, i have all m network sharing turned on, I have followed a bunch of online
> > tutorials. I still cannot share or recieve files on my vista computer. It
> > works fine for my XP computer, just type in the path and its done. Not so
> > with the Vista machine.

Gordon

Re: Cant get Network sharing to work
news99E3A82-9F02-4A96-AF39-C468CF2131C5@microsoft.com...
> Mick-
> I have done EVERYTHING that your referenced article states. I have turned
> on everything that should be on and off everything that should be off. I
> have run the Network Wizard on each machine, a Vista Desktop and an XP Pro
> laptop. Right now the XP laptop "sees" the Desktop but cannot access it.
> Right now, the Vista Desktop cannot "see" the laptop. The laptop normally
> connects wireless but I have it connected by cable, just for something
> different. I can't both machines to see each other at the same time and
> neither can access the other when it "sees" it. I'm about to go nuts!! I
> have turned Windowa Firewalls on and off. I do have Symantec Corporate
> Edition Anti Virus but I can't find any Firewall settings in it.
> Can anyone please help me???

I think you'll find XP Pro needs a User account with a password, as the
guest account (which is used for networking in XP Home) is normally (and
should be) turned OFF by default in Pro. That means that the same User
account set up on Vista also needs the same password.
I have a Vista-XP home network and I do NOT get asked for usernames and
passwords when connecting to shared folders on each machine...

David

Re: Cant get Network sharing to work
Gordon-
I do not have a User account requiring a password on either machine. Should
I create one on each machine and have the same password?
Thanks ever so.

> Gordon-
> I do not have a User account requiring a password on either machine.
> Should
> I create one on each machine and have the same password?
> Thanks ever so.

As I said - I think you'll find that XP Pro needs a passworded user account
for shared access.....if that is so, then you'll need to put one on Vista as
well...

David

Re: Cant get Network sharing to work
Am I stupid or what? The Guest account on each machine does not allow me to
create a password. The laptop I refer to is my wife's as she works from
home. So do I need to create an account on the Vista machine exactly as her
administrator account on her laptop? (Honest, I'm fairly confuser literate
but Vista ticks me off.)

"Gordon" wrote:

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gordon-
> > I do not have a User account requiring a password on either machine.
> > Should
> > I create one on each machine and have the same password?
> > Thanks ever so.
> >

> As I said - I think you'll find that XP Pro needs a passworded user account
> for shared access.....if that is so, then you'll need to put one on Vista as
> well...

Gordon

> Am I stupid or what? The Guest account on each machine does not allow me
> create a password. The laptop I refer to is my wife's as she works from
> home. So do I need to create an account on the Vista machine exactly as
> her
> administrator account on her laptop? (Honest, I'm fairly confuser
> literate
> but Vista ticks me off.)

The Guest account on both the Pro machine and the Vista should be turned
OFF. It's a security risk. Yes you need to create the EXACT same account on
both machines. (Just like in an XP Pro network...)

Mick Murphy

Re: Cant get Network sharing to work
Gordon, I use XP Pro and Vista Home Premium, with no specific passworded user
accounts set up for Networking.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Gordon" wrote:

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gordon-
> > I do not have a User account requiring a password on either machine.
> > Should
> > I create one on each machine and have the same password?
> > Thanks ever so.
> >

> As I said - I think you'll find that XP Pro needs a passworded user account
> for shared access.....if that is so, then you'll need to put one on Vista as
> well...

saustinb

RE: Cant get Network sharing to work
Similar problem here. Trying to connect to a Vista Home Premium machine with
my Vista Business laptop. Private network, discovery on, same user accounts
with same password on both machines, same workgroup. Norton Internet
security running on both and added the other machine's mac address to the
network and trusted sites in Norton. The computers can't see each other and
can't share.

I've been doing networking for over 10 years and felt pretty confident up
through XP. This has me stumped.