problem connect to 2 domains

juststaff

problem connect to 2 domains
I just upgraded my laptop from vista home basic to vista ultimate. I also use
desktop pc based windows xp to connect those domains (NS and DS).
but I get problem with my laptop

before I connect to my server, I was using setting by workgroup, not domain.
so the workgroup name is same with name of NS.
then, after I upgraded, I want to change it, I want connect to my network
use domain setting. but, when I tried, and system asked username and
password, I filled in,but system can't connect to domain.

I just wish, can my vista's network looked like xp's network, which shown
every domain and its members when I connect to my network

how to setting?
thanks
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: problem connect to 2 domains
Hi
You can not use Domain network when the server runs XP or Vista. You need a
server running real server OS (like Windows 2003) in order to use a Domain
based Network.
With XP and or Vista you have to stay with peer-t0-peer (workgroup).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"juststaff" <juststaff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded my laptop from vista home basic to vista ultimate. I also
>use
> desktop pc based windows xp to connect those domains (NS and DS).
> but I get problem with my laptop
>
> before I connect to my server, I was using setting by workgroup, not
> domain.
> so the workgroup name is same with name of NS.
> then, after I upgraded, I want to change it, I want connect to my network
> use domain setting. but, when I tried, and system asked username and
> password, I filled in,but system can't connect to domain.
>
> I just wish, can my vista's network looked like xp's network, which shown
> every domain and its members when I connect to my network
>
> how to setting?
> thanks

juststaff

Re: problem connect to 2 domains
sorry not posted detail.
I have laptop with vista ultimate and desktop pc with xp sp2.
in my network, I have 2 servers with win server 2003 r2.
as I mentioned, I want to connect my laptop to server under setting domain,
not workgroup (because before I upgraded into vista ultimate, I connect under
setting workgroup). I had entered username and password which given by server
(Active directory), but cannot connect.
also, I want my network view in vista looks like win xp, that I can see list
computers in other domain which grouped by domain.
thanks

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> You can not use Domain network when the server runs XP or Vista. You need a
> server running real server OS (like Windows 2003) in order to use a Domain
> based Network.
> With XP and or Vista you have to stay with peer-t0-peer (workgroup).
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "juststaff" <juststaff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just upgraded my laptop from vista home basic to vista ultimate. I also
> >use
> > desktop pc based windows xp to connect those domains (NS and DS).
> > but I get problem with my laptop
> >
> > before I connect to my server, I was using setting by workgroup, not
> > domain.
> > so the workgroup name is same with name of NS.
> > then, after I upgraded, I want to change it, I want connect to my network
> > use domain setting. but, when I tried, and system asked username and
> > password, I filled in,but system can't connect to domain.
> >
> > I just wish, can my vista's network looked like xp's network, which shown
> > every domain and its members when I connect to my network
> >
> > how to setting?
> > thanks

juststaff

Re: problem connect to 2 domains