Prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN in Vista

tamara_mr

Prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN in Vista
I get automatically connected to the Internet (through the LAN connection) as
soon as I start Windows. I was wondering if it's possible to prevent this? I
want to connect through my ISP and not be connected all the time if I don't
want to be. I check Network Connections and the LAN is connected to the
Internet and I can also connect to my ISP simultaneously so 2 connections are
showing. How do I prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN?

--
Tammy
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN in Vista
Hi
You have to explain better what you mean LAN connection.
What type of connection you have? Who is you are ISP, and how physically
your Network is organize?
People are connected to the Internet in different ways, and the
authentication to the ISP server is different from one ISP to the other.
In most cases DSL or Cable Internet connections are connected to the ISP
through LAN, there is No ISP connection and separate LAN connection unless
you are on a bigger Business Network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"tamara_mr" <tamaramr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get automatically connected to the Internet (through the LAN connection)
>as
> soon as I start Windows. I was wondering if it's possible to prevent this?
> want to connect through my ISP and not be connected all the time if I
> don't
> want to be. I check Network Connections and the LAN is connected to the
> Internet and I can also connect to my ISP simultaneously so 2 connections
> are
> showing. How do I prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN?
>

> --
> Tammy

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN in Vista
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:32:02 -0700, tamara_mr
<tamaramr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I get automatically connected to the Internet (through the LAN connection) as
>soon as I start Windows. I was wondering if it's possible to prevent this? I
>want to connect through my ISP and not be connected all the time if I don't
>want to be. I check Network Connections and the LAN is connected to the
>Internet and I can also connect to my ISP simultaneously so 2 connections are
>showing. How do I prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN?

Tammy,

Some routers can be seen by Windows, as "Internet Connection" in your Network
Connections wizard. That's simply the router interface which you may or may not
be able to use. It doesn't mean that you have a second Internet connection.

Your ISP is probably connected to your LAN through your router. That's all that
you have to worry about.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
tamara_mr

Re: Prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN in Vista
I connect to my ISP through Cable Modem and a Network Cable. Usually when I
start windows I am not connected to the Internet. Then I go to connect to a
network and click the VPN connection and it asks for username and password
and then I get connected. Now, the Internet connection comes on by itself and
I cannot disconnect. When I say LAN I mean my Local Area Connection which
shows up under LAN and High Speed Internet and then my ISP falls under VPN
when I see them in Network Connections. My service is not unlimited internet
instead I have a package for 30 hours so above them I get charged per hour.
--
Tammy

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> You have to explain better what you mean LAN connection.
> What type of connection you have? Who is you are ISP, and how physically
> your Network is organize?
> People are connected to the Internet in different ways, and the
> authentication to the ISP server is different from one ISP to the other.
> In most cases DSL or Cable Internet connections are connected to the ISP
> through LAN, there is No ISP connection and separate LAN connection unless
> you are on a bigger Business Network.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "tamara_mr" <tamaramr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I get automatically connected to the Internet (through the LAN connection)
> >as
> > soon as I start Windows. I was wondering if it's possible to prevent this?
> > want to connect through my ISP and not be connected all the time if I
> > don't
> > want to be. I check Network Connections and the LAN is connected to the
> > Internet and I can also connect to my ISP simultaneously so 2 connections
> > are
> > showing. How do I prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN?
> >

> > --
> > Tammy

John

Re: Prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN in Vista
This is interesting to me too but the reverse problem. My Vista 64 bit
connects to the Internet wirelessly every time, even if I am physically
connected to the Ethernet. I am familiar with wireless device options that
permit user to disable the wireless connection in the presence of an Ehternet
connection, but I am not finding that here. What I want is default connection
to the Ethernet LAN if the cable is connected, and default connection to the
wireless if the Ethernet cable is not connec ted or there is some other
problem with the LAN. Both the LAN and the wireless are connecting to a cable
modem via a Linksys router. The connectiosn and the preference I want works
fine for other computers on the network - it is only this one with the Vista
64 bit that has this problem.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:32:02 -0700, tamara_mr
> <tamaramr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I get automatically connected to the Internet (through the LAN connection) as
> >soon as I start Windows. I was wondering if it's possible to prevent this? I
> >want to connect through my ISP and not be connected all the time if I don't
> >want to be. I check Network Connections and the LAN is connected to the
> >Internet and I can also connect to my ISP simultaneously so 2 connections are
> >showing. How do I prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN?

> Tammy,
>
> Some routers can be seen by Windows, as "Internet Connection" in your Network
> Connections wizard. That's simply the router interface which you may or may not
> be able to use. It doesn't mean that you have a second Internet connection.
>
> Your ISP is probably connected to your LAN through your router. That's all that
> you have to worry about.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

tamara_mr

Re: Prevent automatic Internet connection via LAN in Vista
Sorry to hear that John but I don't know much about wireless connection.

I had already contacted my ISP and they informed me that the problem was on
their side and that it was now corrected. I tested it over the weekend and it
no longer automatically connects to the Internet so it is working properly
now. Thanks to all the persons that attempted to help me solve the problem.

--
Tammy