Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Remote Assistance

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008
Jaybabe
 

Posts: n/a
Remote Assistance
Im inviting a friend to connect to my computer. Im connect to the internet
using 3G and he is connecting from a network domain from work. He receives my
invite to connect via email but when he tries to establish a connection it
fails.

Does he need to connect to my IP address instead or what other options can
we look at ?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
He should use your public IP. This how to may help.
remote desktop
How to fix the error "Remote Assistance connection could not be
established because the remote host name could not be resolved"? ...
www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Jaybabe" <Jaybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:86AB7D37-75AF-45FA-B964-608578391FCC@microsoft.com...
> Im inviting a friend to connect to my computer. Im connect to the internet
> using 3G and he is connecting from a network domain from work. He receives
> my
> invite to connect via email but when he tries to establish a connection it
> fails.
>
> Does he need to connect to my IP address instead or what other options can
> we look at ?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2008
Sooner Al [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
You might consider TeamViewer as an alternative to Remote Assistance. Its
faster and far easier to use IMHO.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Whether you use RA or TeamViewer make sure your friend understands the
potential issues connecting his work trusted system and network to your
untrusted system/computer. His work may have policies concerning that. I am
sure he would not want to be fired for violating those.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Jaybabe" <Jaybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:86AB7D37-75AF-45FA-B964-608578391FCC@microsoft.com...
> Im inviting a friend to connect to my computer. Im connect to the internet
> using 3G and he is connecting from a network domain from work. He receives
> my
> invite to connect via email but when he tries to establish a connection it
> fails.
>
> Does he need to connect to my IP address instead or what other options can
> we look at ?


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2008
Jaybabe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
Many thanks, my real goal is to support our clients remotely rather than
having to send a engineer out on site. Is TeamViewer the prefered option or
maybe VNC ?

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> You might consider TeamViewer as an alternative to Remote Assistance. Its
> faster and far easier to use IMHO.
>
> http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
>
> Whether you use RA or TeamViewer make sure your friend understands the
> potential issues connecting his work trusted system and network to your
> untrusted system/computer. His work may have policies concerning that. I am
> sure he would not want to be fired for violating those.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "Jaybabe" <Jaybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:86AB7D37-75AF-45FA-B964-608578391FCC@microsoft.com...
> > Im inviting a friend to connect to my computer. Im connect to the internet
> > using 3G and he is connecting from a network domain from work. He receives
> > my
> > invite to connect via email but when he tries to establish a connection it
> > fails.
> >
> > Does he need to connect to my IP address instead or what other options can
> > we look at ?

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2008
Sooner Al [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
I prefer TeamViewer. In my experience VNC (I generally recommend UltraVNC)
was pretty slow. If you do try VNC then UltraVNC has a video driver add-in
for XP/W2K. It may work for you so you just need to try. Note TeamViewer is
free for personal use. For your use you need to look at the licensing.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Jaybabe" <Jaybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0FF21945-D162-4B81-8911-38C2AC4DC8CB@microsoft.com...
> Many thanks, my real goal is to support our clients remotely rather than
> having to send a engineer out on site. Is TeamViewer the prefered option
> or
> maybe VNC ?
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You might consider TeamViewer as an alternative to Remote Assistance. Its
>> faster and far easier to use IMHO.
>>
>> http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
>>
>> Whether you use RA or TeamViewer make sure your friend understands the
>> potential issues connecting his work trusted system and network to your
>> untrusted system/computer. His work may have policies concerning that. I
>> am
>> sure he would not want to be fired for violating those.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights...
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>
>> "Jaybabe" <Jaybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:86AB7D37-75AF-45FA-B964-608578391FCC@microsoft.com...
>> > Im inviting a friend to connect to my computer. Im connect to the
>> > internet
>> > using 3G and he is connecting from a network domain from work. He
>> > receives
>> > my
>> > invite to connect via email but when he tries to establish a connection
>> > it
>> > fails.
>> >
>> > Does he need to connect to my IP address instead or what other options
>> > can
>> > we look at ?

>>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2008
Jaybabe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
Many thanks but the remote assistance build in tool also offer voice calling
which is great as my support team can speak to the client while supporting at
the same time. Thanks for all your help.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> I prefer TeamViewer. In my experience VNC (I generally recommend UltraVNC)
> was pretty slow. If you do try VNC then UltraVNC has a video driver add-in
> for XP/W2K. It may work for you so you just need to try. Note TeamViewer is
> free for personal use. For your use you need to look at the licensing.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "Jaybabe" <Jaybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:0FF21945-D162-4B81-8911-38C2AC4DC8CB@microsoft.com...
> > Many thanks, my real goal is to support our clients remotely rather than
> > having to send a engineer out on site. Is TeamViewer the prefered option
> > or
> > maybe VNC ?
> >
> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You might consider TeamViewer as an alternative to Remote Assistance. Its
> >> faster and far easier to use IMHO.
> >>
> >> http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
> >>
> >> Whether you use RA or TeamViewer make sure your friend understands the
> >> potential issues connecting his work trusted system and network to your
> >> untrusted system/computer. His work may have policies concerning that. I
> >> am
> >> sure he would not want to be fired for violating those.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> >> mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> >> rights...
> >> How to ask a question
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> >>
> >> "Jaybabe" <Jaybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:86AB7D37-75AF-45FA-B964-608578391FCC@microsoft.com...
> >> > Im inviting a friend to connect to my computer. Im connect to the
> >> > internet
> >> > using 3G and he is connecting from a network domain from work. He
> >> > receives
> >> > my
> >> > invite to connect via email but when he tries to establish a connection
> >> > it
> >> > fails.
> >> >
> >> > Does he need to connect to my IP address instead or what other options
> >> > can
> >> > we look at ?
> >>

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
news:%23vE417Q3IHA.4988@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> May I cut in and ask about TeamViewer? I tried TeamViwer and found that it
> worked on Windows XP but not on VISTA. Is TeamViewer compatible with
> VISTA?
>


According to this page:
http://support.teamviewer.com/index....articl eid=38
yes it is

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2008
churin
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
May I cut in and ask about TeamViewer? I tried TeamViwer and found that
it worked on Windows XP but not on VISTA. Is TeamViewer compatible with
VISTA?

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> I prefer TeamViewer. In my experience VNC (I generally recommend
> UltraVNC) was pretty slow. If you do try VNC then UltraVNC has a video
> driver add-in for XP/W2K. It may work for you so you just need to try.
> Note TeamViewer is free for personal use. For your use you need to look
> at the licensing.
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2008
churin
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
Gordon wrote:
> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
> news:%23vE417Q3IHA.4988@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> May I cut in and ask about TeamViewer? I tried TeamViwer and found
>> that it worked on Windows XP but not on VISTA. Is TeamViewer
>> compatible with VISTA?
>>

>
> According to this page:
> http://support.teamviewer.com/index....articl eid=38
> yes it is

Thanks for your response. I wonder if there is a user forum of
TeamViewer or somewhere I can seek help since the vendor does not
provide tech support to free version users.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance
"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
news:eOQNSMS3IHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Gordon wrote:
>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>> news:%23vE417Q3IHA.4988@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> May I cut in and ask about TeamViewer? I tried TeamViwer and found that
>>> it worked on Windows XP but not on VISTA. Is TeamViewer compatible with
>>> VISTA?
>>>

>>
>> According to this page:
>> http://support.teamviewer.com/index....articl eid=38
>> yes it is

> Thanks for your response. I wonder if there is a user forum of TeamViewer
> or somewhere I can seek help since the vendor does not provide tech
> support to free version users.



I've just installed it on Vista Home Premium and it seems to work OK
remoting to a computer on my LAN - going (hopefully) to test it this evening
on a remote machine 250 miles away...

What is it that's not working on yours? (I'm no expert having only just
installed it...)

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote assistance Urvin microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 05-16-2008 09:35
Remote Assistance? Julian microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 02-06-2008 17:42
Offer Remote Assistance not accepted because Remote Assistance notinstalled churin microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 01-18-2008 16:50
Article ID: 937803 During a Remote Assistance session in Windows Vista, the administrator who is trying to provide remote assistance receives a black screen KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Is there a program to use remote desktop, or remote assistance "host" on Vista Home? Tim microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 08-14-2007 11:14




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:59.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120