XP & Vista networking (again !)

baby-mechanic

XP & Vista networking (again !)
Not PC savvy, so words of less than one syllable please !

Existing desktop (PC#1) runs XP, and was connected to internet by cable
modem, and ethernet cable networked to other desktop (PC#2).

Recently got a new laptop, running Vista.

Was able to network this to PC#1, files were transferred, and the laptop
could access the internet through its network connection via PC#1.

PC#1 was then moved to the other office, taking the place of PC#2, and the
laptop became the internet connected computer.

Still using the ethernet cable, the laptop can see PC#1 on the network, but
cannot acces it.

PC#1 cannot see the laptop, or connect to the internet, and says that there
is limited or no connectivity on the local area connection, even after trying
to use the network wizard. ipconfig shows that there is no gateway IP address.

I've looked through all the previous threads, and the only thing that might
help is the Network Magic, but PC#1 currently can't connect to the internet.

I'm sure all my firewalls are off.

Have I missed something ?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: XP & Vista networking (again !)
Posting the result of ipconfig /all on PC1 may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"baby-mechanic" <babymechanic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not PC savvy, so words of less than one syllable please !
>
> Existing desktop (PC#1) runs XP, and was connected to internet by cable
> modem, and ethernet cable networked to other desktop (PC#2).
>
> Recently got a new laptop, running Vista.
>
> Was able to network this to PC#1, files were transferred, and the laptop
> could access the internet through its network connection via PC#1.
>
> PC#1 was then moved to the other office, taking the place of PC#2, and the
> laptop became the internet connected computer.
>
> Still using the ethernet cable, the laptop can see PC#1 on the network,
> but
> cannot acces it.
>
> PC#1 cannot see the laptop, or connect to the internet, and says that
> there
> is limited or no connectivity on the local area connection, even after
> trying
> to use the network wizard. ipconfig shows that there is no gateway IP
> address.
>
> I've looked through all the previous threads, and the only thing that
> might
> help is the Network Magic, but PC#1 currently can't connect to the
> internet.
>
> I'm sure all my firewalls are off.
>
> Have I missed something ?

baby-mechanic

Re: XP & Vista networking (again !)
Thanks for looking in.

Once I can get access to PC#1, I'll do that, and get the same info for PC#2.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Posting the result of ipconfig /all on PC1 may help.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "baby-mechanic" <babymechanic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not PC savvy, so words of less than one syllable please !
> >
> > Existing desktop (PC#1) runs XP, and was connected to internet by cable
> > modem, and ethernet cable networked to other desktop (PC#2).
> >
> > Recently got a new laptop, running Vista.
> >
> > Was able to network this to PC#1, files were transferred, and the laptop
> > could access the internet through its network connection via PC#1.
> >
> > PC#1 was then moved to the other office, taking the place of PC#2, and the
> > laptop became the internet connected computer.
> >
> > Still using the ethernet cable, the laptop can see PC#1 on the network,
> > but
> > cannot acces it.
> >
> > PC#1 cannot see the laptop, or connect to the internet, and says that
> > there
> > is limited or no connectivity on the local area connection, even after
> > trying
> > to use the network wizard. ipconfig shows that there is no gateway IP
> > address.
> >
> > I've looked through all the previous threads, and the only thing that
> > might
> > help is the Network Magic, but PC#1 currently can't connect to the
> > internet.
> >
> > I'm sure all my firewalls are off.
> >
> > Have I missed something ?

Chuck [MVP]

Re: XP & Vista networking (again !)
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 04:58:01 -0700, baby-mechanic
<babymechanic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Not PC savvy, so words of less than one syllable please !
>
>Existing desktop (PC#1) runs XP, and was connected to internet by cable
>modem, and ethernet cable networked to other desktop (PC#2).
>
>Recently got a new laptop, running Vista.
>
>Was able to network this to PC#1, files were transferred, and the laptop
>could access the internet through its network connection via PC#1.
>
>PC#1 was then moved to the other office, taking the place of PC#2, and the
>laptop became the internet connected computer.
>
>Still using the ethernet cable, the laptop can see PC#1 on the network, but
>cannot acces it.
>
>PC#1 cannot see the laptop, or connect to the internet, and says that there
>is limited or no connectivity on the local area connection, even after trying
>to use the network wizard. ipconfig shows that there is no gateway IP address.
>
>I've looked through all the previous threads, and the only thing that might
>help is the Network Magic, but PC#1 currently can't connect to the internet.
>
>I'm sure all my firewalls are off.
>
>Have I missed something ?

Are you using Network Magic?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/windows-networking-and-alternate.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...alternate.html

I would look at logs from each of "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer. Read this
article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!):
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
Mick Murphy

RE: XP & Vista networking (again !)
You must be using a crossover cable for for file sharing and ICS?

http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/21/h...r-using-vista/

Above is about sharing Net with vista the main computer.

And below is Networking the 2, which you have done before.
Remember to run the file and printer Shaingf in XP

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)