Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Give network access without giving access to the computer itself?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008
Doc_Phoenix
 

Posts: n/a
Give network access without giving access to the computer itself?
Hi there,

I have three laptops, all running Vista on a secured wireless network. I
keep sensitive files on my laptop (one of the three) and I want to give the
other two access to the public folder. I accomplished this by creating two
new users that can log in and they now have access to the Public folder on my
laptop. The problem is that they ALSO now have access directly to my laptop
by logging into my laptop directly using those usernames and passwords.

I want them to have access to the public folder but I don't want them to be
able to access my PC directly. How can I do this?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Give network access without giving access to the computer itself?
"Doc_Phoenix" <Doc_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FE6F0618-82F4-4E0C-9519-55851E79CB18@microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I have three laptops, all running Vista on a secured wireless network. I
> keep sensitive files on my laptop (one of the three) and I want to give
> the
> other two access to the public folder. I accomplished this by creating two
> new users that can log in and they now have access to the Public folder on
> my
> laptop. The problem is that they ALSO now have access directly to my
> laptop
> by logging into my laptop directly using those usernames and passwords.
>
> I want them to have access to the public folder but I don't want them to
> be
> able to access my PC directly. How can I do this?



If the two users are Standard Users (as opposed to Administrators) then they
can't access your folders. You can further safeguard them by explicitly
denying them access in the Permissions dialog. If they are administrators,
then the only thing you can do is to make them Standard Users!

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008
Doc_Phoenix
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Give network access without giving access to the computer itse


"Gordon" wrote:

> "Doc_Phoenix" <Doc_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FE6F0618-82F4-4E0C-9519-55851E79CB18@microsoft.com...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have three laptops, all running Vista on a secured wireless network. I
> > keep sensitive files on my laptop (one of the three) and I want to give
> > the
> > other two access to the public folder. I accomplished this by creating two
> > new users that can log in and they now have access to the Public folder on
> > my
> > laptop. The problem is that they ALSO now have access directly to my
> > laptop
> > by logging into my laptop directly using those usernames and passwords.
> >
> > I want them to have access to the public folder but I don't want them to
> > be
> > able to access my PC directly. How can I do this?

>
>
> If the two users are Standard Users (as opposed to Administrators) then they
> can't access your folders. You can further safeguard them by explicitly
> denying them access in the Permissions dialog. If they are administrators,
> then the only thing you can do is to make them Standard Users!
>
>


I don't want them to be able to access all of my applications, specifically
Quickbooks, is there a way to do that?

Also, is it possible to give each user a different folder that they have
access to? In other words, so that user 1 has access to a folder called
User_1 and user 2 has access to a folder called User_2, but they cannot
access each others files?

THanks!

-Doc
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Give network access without giving access to the computer itse
"Doc_Phoenix" <DocPhoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F4C40948-B227-4D9D-B993-6A8A8B7ECA09@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "Doc_Phoenix" <Doc_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:FE6F0618-82F4-4E0C-9519-55851E79CB18@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I have three laptops, all running Vista on a secured wireless network.
>> > I
>> > keep sensitive files on my laptop (one of the three) and I want to give
>> > the
>> > other two access to the public folder. I accomplished this by creating
>> > two
>> > new users that can log in and they now have access to the Public folder
>> > on
>> > my
>> > laptop. The problem is that they ALSO now have access directly to my
>> > laptop
>> > by logging into my laptop directly using those usernames and passwords.
>> >
>> > I want them to have access to the public folder but I don't want them
>> > to
>> > be
>> > able to access my PC directly. How can I do this?

>>
>>
>> If the two users are Standard Users (as opposed to Administrators) then
>> they
>> can't access your folders. You can further safeguard them by explicitly
>> denying them access in the Permissions dialog. If they are
>> administrators,
>> then the only thing you can do is to make them Standard Users!
>>
>>

>
> I don't want them to be able to access all of my applications,
> specifically
> Quickbooks, is there a way to do that?


They shouldn't be able to do that anyway.


>
> Also, is it possible to give each user a different folder that they have
> access to? In other words, so that user 1 has access to a folder called
> User_1 and user 2 has access to a folder called User_2, but they cannot
> access each others files?
>


Absolutely. However, all this hinges on passwords being set up....


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Give network access without giving access to the computer itself?
Hi
There is many simple free Window Explorer type of programs that can end up
giving access to almost any folder on the computer.
If you must stay with one computer get some 3rd party application that can
lock and encrypt folders, and encrypt the sensitive folders..
However in a days that a computer, or a Laptop, can be bought for $300 to
$400, there is No real point in sharing a computer with sensitive data.
Jack (MVP-Networking).


"Doc_Phoenix" <Doc_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FE6F0618-82F4-4E0C-9519-55851E79CB18@microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I have three laptops, all running Vista on a secured wireless network. I
> keep sensitive files on my laptop (one of the three) and I want to give
> the
> other two access to the public folder. I accomplished this by creating two
> new users that can log in and they now have access to the Public folder on
> my
> laptop. The problem is that they ALSO now have access directly to my
> laptop
> by logging into my laptop directly using those usernames and passwords.
>
> I want them to have access to the public folder but I don't want them to
> be
> able to access my PC directly. How can I do this?


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No access to computer in network Zintain microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 06-14-2008 22:29
Cannot access xp computer on network chuck microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 6 02-01-2008 01:40
computer access over network Vista to XP norto microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 10-23-2007 16:07
Article ID: 930517 Message when a device on a Windows Vista-based computer uses a network bridge to access the network: "Connected with limited access" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 933468 You cannot access SMB shares on a corporate network through a Remote Access Service (RAS) connection from a computer that is running Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:46.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120