how to conect a Vista PC with an XP PC wirelessly?

Loles

how to conect a Vista PC with an XP PC wirelessly?
Hi!

How to connect a Vista PC with an XP portable PC wirelessly?
I think I have some how connected both PCs for I can see each PC on the
other's network places folder in the windows explorer, but I am not able to
open any shared folder nor add any files to them.
From the Vista PC, when I click on the XP PC in the network folder of
windows explorer, I get a little window asking me for a user name and
password. I thought it was the user name and password of that XP PC I wanted
to access to from Vista PC, but was not recognized as a valid logon name or
password.
Is there any trick to it?

Thank you for any help on this
Cordially yours
Loles

Malke

Re: how to conect a Vista PC with an XP PC wirelessly?
Loles wrote:

> Hi!
>
> How to connect a Vista PC with an XP portable PC wirelessly?
> I think I have some how connected both PCs for I can see each PC on the
> other's network places folder in the windows explorer, but I am not able
> to open any shared folder nor add any files to them.
> From the Vista PC, when I click on the XP PC in the network folder of
> windows explorer, I get a little window asking me for a user name and
> password. I thought it was the user name and password of that XP PC I
> wanted to access to from Vista PC, but was not recognized as a valid logon
> name or password.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Mick Murphy

RE: how to conect a Vista PC with an XP PC wirelessly?
You could try in vista>Network and Sharing>Password Protected:OFF
Have a read below.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON