Server 2003 not seen by Vista

piscivorous

Server 2003 not seen by Vista
I am using setting up a new network using Server 2003 R2 (workgroup not
Domain yet) on a Asus P5K3 delux motherboard which has wireless router built
in. It accesses the internet with a DSL connection and the wireless network
is working fine using Internet Connection sharing. On a lenovo 3000 N100 I am
running Vista Ultimate. The notebook connects to the internet just fine over
the wireless connection and I have made the connection private. I can see
the shares on the notebook from the 2003 box just fine, but I can’t see the
shares on the 2003 box on the notebook. I can ping the server by either IP
address or computer name from the notebook. I can connect to the shares, on
the server, using the IP address but not the computer name. If I try using
the computer name I get some funcky message about not being able to resolve
the DNS entry. I can create an entry in the HOSTS file on the notebook and
then connect via computer name and finally see the server I”Network” . Why
can I ping but not see the computer in “Network” and connect to the shares
via computer name with out the HOSTS file modification?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Server 2003 not seen by Vista
We need more information help. Any errors when using nslookup? Can you post
back with ping -a server ip and ping the servername?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net