File Sharing in Windows Vista

Russ

File Sharing in Windows Vista
I am running Vista on 3 home computers on a wireless network. I am trying to
set it up so that I have unlimited access to each computer from the others,
without having to go through and make EVERY folder a shared folder, but I
can't seem to find a way to do it. I'm not worried about security, as the
network is password protected, I just want to see ALL of my files on ANY
computer. Any help would be appreicated!
Frankster

Re: File Sharing in Windows Vista

"Russ" <Russ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista on 3 home computers on a wireless network. I am trying
> set it up so that I have unlimited access to each computer from the
> others,
> without having to go through and make EVERY folder a shared folder, but I
> can't seem to find a way to do it. I'm not worried about security, as the
> network is password protected, I just want to see ALL of my files on ANY
> computer. Any help would be appreicated!

1) Same workgroup
2) Same userID/password combo on each PC
3) Share C drive on each PC - give full share AND file permissions
4) Map each remote C drive on each computer.

Done.

-Frank

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: File Sharing in Windows Vista
Hi
For security purpose Vista would Not let you share the whole drive.
You can make a Folder and create as needed sub folders under it.
If you share the main Folder every thing under it would be accessible as
well.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Russ" <Russ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista on 3 home computers on a wireless network. I am trying
> set it up so that I have unlimited access to each computer from the
> others,
> without having to go through and make EVERY folder a shared folder, but I
> can't seem to find a way to do it. I'm not worried about security, as the
> network is password protected, I just want to see ALL of my files on ANY
> computer. Any help would be appreicated!

BurrWalnut

RE: File Sharing in Windows Vista
To give you unrestricted access across the network, make Everyone appear in
the Security Tab.

It is not recommended that the system drive (usually C) is shared but if you
have, say, a D partition with music, videos, etc. that you want to share
simply right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management then
right-click the drive graphic > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add then
type ‘Everyone’ (not the quotes) > OK and below it select your preferences,
e.g. Read or Full Control. Now Apply, OK, etc. to finish.