Vista Home Premium not finding XBOX 360 Extender

Buddy08

Vista Home Premium not finding XBOX 360 Extender

Alright, I have a lot of information to go through, so please bear with
me!

First, I have been searching for an answer to this problem for about 4
or 5 days in total. I have found many people with similar problems, but
I have not found an exact answer. I have tried a number of different
fixes listed, but nothing has worked yet.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have a WRT150N router and a
WUSB300N Wireless N USB Adapter. Now, here is where the interesting
part comes in. I have tried connecting the XBOX 360 directly to my PC
via CAT 5 cable, and the Extender is found. I then connected my PC and
XBOX to the router via CAT 5, and the Extender set up with the direct
connection, was found right away and worked perfectly. As soon as I
disconnect my PC and try to use the wireless connection, the Extender
cannot be found.

I've removed everything from the XBOX (as far as the Extender is
concerned) and started from scratch on my PC. I have actually gone
through and started every last service (that could be started) on my PC
(as a fix action from a post somewhere) and nothing new. I actually was
fairly convinced that I was missing some service somewhere, but now I
know that is definitely not the case. I have even tried an odd fix
where I move a file called "infcache.1" and reboot so the file is
rebuilt.

Now, while my PC is connected wirelessly, I can see my XBOX in my
Network folder. I can right click it and go to properties where I can
see the MAC address, IP, Serial Number, and even Unique ID. However, if
I try to ping the IP address, Request Timed Out. I tried to do a
tracert on the IP just to see if it was even making it to the router,
and it didn't show anything for even a single hop.

I have made sure drivers and firmware are updated on both the router
and the USB adapter. I reset my router to factory defaults, because I
thought maybe I had tightened things down too much, but still nothing
from bare bones settings.

At this point, I just don't know what to do. I have tried absolutely
every last thing I can think of, as well as a number of things I've read
on literally hundreds of posts. It seems like a lot of people have been
having this problem almost since the XBOX 360 came out, and some have
found answers while others have not.

I thought I was doing good when I got things narrowed down to the
problem being something to do with the Wireless connection. My XBOX is
still hard wired and I know my router is good. My USB adapter is all up
to date.

I also have uninstalled my AV software(temporarily) and turned off
Windows Firewall. Nothing should be stopping the Extender from being
found unless it's some weird wireless setting (which at this point would
not surprise me).

I should also probably say that I had the Extender up and running for
months up until a week ago. I had a WRT45G router with SpeedBoost and a
Wireless G USB Adapter. About 3 weeks ago, I started having some funky
problem where my Internet connection would drop down to limited
connectivity anywhere from 1 minute to 4 hours after a reboot. I
couldn't find a fix anywhere and had wanted to upgrade to N series stuff
anyhow, so I took the opportunity. Now, I'm just ready to pull my hair
out!!!

I don't know if this is the 100% correct forum to be posting this in or
not, but I have seen some similar posts. If anyone out there has
experienced the same thing, or knows of anything else I could try,
please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

--
Buddy08
Buddy08's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=52183

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Home Premium not finding XBOX 360 Extender
If you want to keep posting here on the exact hour; you'll get NO help!
People come here for FREE; not at YOUR beck and call!
Learn manners!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Buddy08" wrote:

> [...]
> found unless it's some weird wireless setting (which at this point would
> not surprise me).
>
> I should also probably say that I had the Extender up and running for
> months up until a week ago. I had a WRT45G router with SpeedBoost and a
> Wireless G USB Adapter. About 3 weeks ago, I started having some funky
> problem where my Internet connection would drop down to limited
> connectivity anywhere from 1 minute to 4 hours after a reboot. I
> couldn't find a fix anywhere and had wanted to upgrade to N series stuff
> anyhow, so I took the opportunity. Now, I'm just ready to pull my hair
> out!!!
>
> I don't know if this is the 100% correct forum to be posting this in or
> not, but I have seen some similar posts. If anyone out there has
> experienced the same thing, or knows of anything else I could try,

Buddy08

Re: Wireless not connecting to Internet. Access Local

First of all, you responded to the wrong post. Second of all, I have
had similar problems to what is posted in this thread and had some ideas
that may have helped the OP. I needed a little more information from
the OP to see if this problem was similar to one I have had in the past.
I may be new to this forum, but I'm not new to forums or networking. I
was just trying to help here...

Your comment is way out of line and I'm not even really sure what you
mean...

If that is the kind of response that people get from trying to help
out, then I definitely will not bother posting anything here again.

You should take your own advice and _Learn_Some_Manners!_

If this is by chance a response for the multiple posts I made, reading
those posts would have told you I ran into some problems. I hit post
and received a page error (no idea they actually went through). I
thought I could delete the duplicates, but I can't so I did the best I
could by trying to let a forum admin know they were duplicates and could
be deleted.

I have been around forums for a really long time now, and I have to say
this is the first time I have ever seen a response like yours.... I
really just don't even know what else to say!!!

--
Buddy08
Buddy08's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=52183
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=960771

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

Re: Wireless not connecting to Internet. Access Local
Here is the 1st abd 2nd of your 2 posts within 1(ONE HOUR);
I am NOT out of line; you are just an impatient loser!

I rest my case; the facts are below!!
Don't be a liar!

Subject: Vista Home Premium not finding XBOX 360 Extender 6/27/2008 8:22
PM PST

By: Buddy08 In: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
<snip>

Subject: Vista Home Premium not finding XBOX 360 Extender 6/27/2008 9:22

"Buddy08" wrote:

> [...]

> > for
> > > months up until a week ago. I had a WRT45G router with SpeedBoost

> > and a
> > > Wireless G USB Adapter. About 3 weeks ago, I started having some

> > funky
> > > problem where my Internet connection would drop down to limited
> > > connectivity anywhere from 1 minute to 4 hours after a reboot. I
> > > couldn't find a fix anywhere and had wanted to upgrade to N series

> > stuff
> > > anyhow, so I took the opportunity. Now, I'm just ready to pull my

> > hair
> > > out!!!
> > >
> > > I don't know if this is the 100% correct forum to be posting this in

> > or
> > > not, but I have seen some similar posts. If anyone out there has
> > > experienced the same thing, or knows of anything else I could try,

Nonny

Mick Murphy <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Here is the 1st abd 2nd of your 2 posts within 1(ONE HOUR);
>I am NOT out of line; you are just an impatient loser!
>
>I rest my case; the facts are below!!
>Don't be a liar!

He explained how the two posts came about. Sounds reasonable to me.

He was correct: you need to take your own advice and learn some
manners.

Either that, or stop posting when you have a pint or two too many.

>Subject: Vista Home Premium not finding XBOX 360 Extender 6/27/2008 8:22
>PM PST
>
>By: Buddy08 In: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
><snip>
>
>Subject: Vista Home Premium not finding XBOX 360 Extender 6/27/2008 9:22
>PM PST
>
>By: Buddy08 In: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
>

>Alright, I have a lot of information to go through, so please bear with
>me!
>
>First, I have been searching for an answer to this problem for about 4
>or 5 days in total. I have found many people with similar problems, but
>I have not found an exact answer. I have tried a number of different
>fixes listed, but nothing has worked yet.
>
>I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have a WRT150N router and a
>WUSB300N Wireless N USB Adapter. Now, here is where the interesting
>part comes in. I have tried connecting the XBOX 360 directly to my PC
>via CAT 5 cable, and the Extender is found. I then connected my PC and
>XBOX to the router via CAT 5, and the Extender set up with the direct
>connection, was found right away and worked perfectly. As soon as I
>disconnect my PC and try to use the wireless connection, the Extender
>cannot be found.
>
>I've removed everything from the XBOX (as far as the Extender is
>concerned) and started from scratch on my PC. I have actually gone
>through and started every last service (that could be started) on my PC
>(as a fix action from a post somewhere) and nothing new. I actually was
>fairly convinced that I was missing some service somewhere, but now I
>know that is definitely not the case. I have even tried an odd fix
>where I move a file called "infcache.1" and reboot so the file is
>rebuilt.
>

>Alright, I have a lot of information to go through, so please bear with
>me!

>worked perfectly. As soon as I disconnect my PC and try to use the
>wireless connection, the Extender cannot be found.
>
>I've removed everything from the XBOX (as far as the Extender is
>concerned) and started from scratch on my PC. I have actually gone
>through and started every last service (that could be started) on my PC
>(as a fix action from a post somewhere) and nothing new. I actually was
>fairly convinced that I was missing some service somewhere, but now I
>know that is definitely not the case. I have even tried an odd fix
>where I move a file called "infcache.1" and reboot so the file is
>rebuilt.
>
>Now, while my PC is connected wirelessly, I can see my XBOX in my
>Network folder. I can right click it and go to properties where I can
>see the MAC address, IP, Serial Number, and even Unique ID. However

Mick Murphy

Re: Wireless not connecting to Internet. Access Local
You just lurk here; you don't help ANYBODY.
NODDY would be a better name for you!

Go away, peabrain!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nonny" wrote:

> [...]

> >concerned) and started from scratch on my PC. I have actually gone
> >through and started every last service (that could be started) on my PC
> >(as a fix action from a post somewhere) and nothing new. I actually was
> >fairly convinced that I was missing some service somewhere, but now I
> >know that is definitely not the case. I have even tried an odd fix
> >where I move a file called "infcache.1" and reboot so the file is
> >rebuilt.
> >
> >Now, while my PC is connected wirelessly, I can see my XBOX in my
> >Network folder. I can right click it and go to properties where I can
> >see the MAC address, IP, Serial Number, and even Unique ID. However

Nonny

Re: Wireless not connecting to Internet. Access Local
Mick Murphy <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>You just lurk here; you don't help ANYBODY.

It's past your bedtime. Put the bottle down and take a nap.
Mick Murphy

Re: Wireless not connecting to Internet. Access Local
You can't answer questions; you can only TRY to read them.
Loser!

I get a good laugh out of idiots like you; and so do the rest of us here!
Read your "fanmail" from your stupid posts, loser!

Here is a CLASSIC post of yours:
"You and they are obviously members of a select community of folks with
f***ed-up computers.

The vast majority of those who've updated (I'm one) aren't having any
problems at all."
This is WHY you are a laughing stock; idiot!

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nonny" wrote:

> [...]

> >wireless connection, the Extender cannot be found.
> >
> >I've removed everything from the XBOX (as far as the Extender is
> >concerned) and started from scratch on my PC. I have actually gone
> >through and started every last service (that could be started) on my PC
> >(as a fix action from a post somewhere) and nothing new. I actually was
> >fairly convinced that I was missing some service somewhere, but now I
> >know that is definitely not the case. I have even tried an odd fix
> >where I move a file called "infcache.1" and reboot so the file is
> >rebuilt.
> >
> >Now, while my PC is connected wirelessly, I can see my XBOX in my
> >Network folder. I can right click it and go to properties where I can
> >see the MAC address, IP, Serial Number, and even Unique ID. However

Mick Murphy

Re: Wireless not connecting to Internet. Access Local
Another one of yours, idiot!

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:14:01 -0700, msbock
<msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Nonny" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:27:00 -0700, msbock
>> <msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
>> >everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

>> Just ONE: post your question to an XP group. This is for Vista.
>>
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

>Sorry, thought there may be a windows (professional expert) in the group
>with enough knowledge to help in all windows. (Guess Not) I am on a vista
>and when search for help I found this community.

There are probably some doctors and lawyers in this group as well.

That doesn't make it OK to ask for medical or legal help here.

Nonny

Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nonny" wrote:

> Mick Murphy <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >You just lurk here; you don't help ANYBODY.
> >NODDY would be a better name for you!
> >
> >Go away, peabrain!

> It's past your bedtime. Put the bottle down and take a nap.

Mick Murphy

Re: Wireless not connecting to Internet. Access Local
A reply to you from an unhappy chappie, idiot!

Comment to Nonny

My comment was directed to looi76. As long as it had meaning to him that is
what counts. I cannot help it if you fail to fully read the information you
are provided with.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA