Can't copy large files from XP Share

newsgroups.comcast.net

Can't copy large files from XP Share
I have the same problem when copying from an XP Share on a workgroup.

I can't copy from an XP share to a Vista SP1 laptop ...actually two
different laptops. The limit seems to be 20 Meg for a wireless and
around 100 Meg for a wired connection, almost as if there is a 'time
out' on the copying time. The limit is reached whether it is one file
or many files. When the limit is reached, any files below the limit
will copy correctly. After the limit is reached, the 'Retry' window
will popup. If 'Retry' is pressed, it will copy another limit's worth
of files.

The source XP system is in a windows Workgroup, XP Professional SP2
with the LinkLayer update for Vista added. I took the same laptop to work

and it worked fine on a Domain PC with an XP share folder.

The destination system is a brand new Vista Home Premium with SP1
preinstalled. The network adapters were updated with the latest
drivers.

When the firewalls and all AntiVirus are disabled, the problem still
occurs.
The windows accounts and password match on both systems.
Sharing is turned on and Everyone has read permissions.

On both Vista, file sharing on or off makes no difference
Also, password protection on or off makes no difference.
The transfer quota is set to unlimited.
Windows firewalls are turned off.
The router is a D-Link DIR -655.
When attempting a wired copy, the wireless is disabled.

XP to XP copies work fine. And from Vista to XP works fine (opposite
direction), as does Vista to Vista. It only fails from XP to Vista.

Any help would be appreciated. Cross posted to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general.
Also as a response to mzfl on 6/21.

I have an open incident with Microsoft, but so far, they have not been able
to resolve the situation.

I highly suspect the new file copy algorithm / permission validation in the
new SP1. SP1 was supposed to correct the file copy problems, but I don't
think it did for some OS installs.

Thanks in advance
-R

"mzfl" <mzfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't copy large files from XP Share
For troubleshooting, try to disable auto tuning. If that doesn't work, test
MTU size. These links may help
Vista file transfer issue
Vista file transfer issue. Can't copy large files between Vista and
Windows 2003 · Not Able to READ or Write to External Hard Drive Thru Network
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistafiles.htm

How to determine the optimal MTU
In a case you may need to modify the MTU size and wonder how to
determine the optimal MTU for your system. You can use ping command to do
so, for example, ...
www.howtonetworking.com/VPN/mtu4.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"newsgroups.comcast.net" <R@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem when copying from an XP Share on a workgroup.
>
> I can't copy from an XP share to a Vista SP1 laptop ...actually two
> different laptops. The limit seems to be 20 Meg for a wireless and
> around 100 Meg for a wired connection, almost as if there is a 'time
> out' on the copying time. The limit is reached whether it is one file
> or many files. When the limit is reached, any files below the limit
> will copy correctly. After the limit is reached, the 'Retry' window
> will popup. If 'Retry' is pressed, it will copy another limit's worth
> of files.
>
> The source XP system is in a windows Workgroup, XP Professional SP2
> with the LinkLayer update for Vista added. I took the same laptop to work
>
> and it worked fine on a Domain PC with an XP share folder.
>

> The destination system is a brand new Vista Home Premium with SP1
> preinstalled. The network adapters were updated with the latest
> drivers.
>

> When the firewalls and all AntiVirus are disabled, the problem still
> occurs.
> The windows accounts and password match on both systems.
> Sharing is turned on and Everyone has read permissions.
>

> On both Vista, file sharing on or off makes no difference
> Also, password protection on or off makes no difference.
> The transfer quota is set to unlimited.
> Windows firewalls are turned off.
> The router is a D-Link DIR -655.
> When attempting a wired copy, the wireless is disabled.
>

> XP to XP copies work fine. And from Vista to XP works fine (opposite
> direction), as does Vista to Vista. It only fails from XP to Vista.
>

> Any help would be appreciated. Cross posted to
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general.
> Also as a response to mzfl on 6/21.
>
> I have an open incident with Microsoft, but so far, they have not been
> able
> to resolve the situation.
>
> I highly suspect the new file copy algorithm / permission validation in
> the
> new SP1. SP1 was supposed to correct the file copy problems, but I don't
> think it did for some OS installs.
>

> Thanks in advance
> -R

Jay Moore

Re: Can't copy large files from XP Share
I had a similar problem with my XP (Home) machine. I usually streamed music
and media off it, and after a few hours it would just stop
responding...sometimes it'd come back, sometimes it'd throw me "connection
limit reached" errors, sometimes it'd just give me an unknown error..other
times the XP machine would just reboot. After switching to wired on the xp
machine, the problem got better, but not much..and noticed when copying
large files it would stop just like if i was streaming media.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106167 <- I followed the advice here and
made the IRPStackSize entry in my registry 50, because the limit in XP is
50. (article says 12, which was the old NT limit)

I also tried the tcpip.sys modifiacation i found here
(http://www.lvllord.de/?url=tools) - and lastly i turned off autodisconnect
with the command "Net Config Server /autodisconnect:-1"

since then i've had no issues when sharng files between my xp machine and
the vista laptop.

"newsgroups.comcast.net" <R@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem when copying from an XP Share on a workgroup.
>
> I can't copy from an XP share to a Vista SP1 laptop ...actually two
> different laptops. The limit seems to be 20 Meg for a wireless and
> around 100 Meg for a wired connection, almost as if there is a 'time
> out' on the copying time. The limit is reached whether it is one file
> or many files. When the limit is reached, any files below the limit
> will copy correctly. After the limit is reached, the 'Retry' window
> will popup. If 'Retry' is pressed, it will copy another limit's worth
> of files.
>
> The source XP system is in a windows Workgroup, XP Professional SP2
> with the LinkLayer update for Vista added. I took the same laptop to work
>
> and it worked fine on a Domain PC with an XP share folder.
>

> The destination system is a brand new Vista Home Premium with SP1
> preinstalled. The network adapters were updated with the latest
> drivers.
>

> When the firewalls and all AntiVirus are disabled, the problem still
> occurs.
> The windows accounts and password match on both systems.
> Sharing is turned on and Everyone has read permissions.
>

> On both Vista, file sharing on or off makes no difference
> Also, password protection on or off makes no difference.
> The transfer quota is set to unlimited.
> Windows firewalls are turned off.
> The router is a D-Link DIR -655.
> When attempting a wired copy, the wireless is disabled.
>

> XP to XP copies work fine. And from Vista to XP works fine (opposite
> direction), as does Vista to Vista. It only fails from XP to Vista.
>

> Any help would be appreciated. Cross posted to
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general.
> Also as a response to mzfl on 6/21.
>
> I have an open incident with Microsoft, but so far, they have not been
> able
> to resolve the situation.
>
> I highly suspect the new file copy algorithm / permission validation in
> the
> new SP1. SP1 was supposed to correct the file copy problems, but I don't
> think it did for some OS installs.
>

> Thanks in advance
> -R

Re: Can't copy large files from XP Share
Thanks J!

I tried the 106167 fix, but no change. Then I tried the net config change
on both systems, but that made no change either.
Which PC was it supposed to be on, XP or Vista?

I'll try the tcpip.sys mod tonight and let you know. Microsoft themselves
haven't tried either of those two options.

Is the tcpip.sys mod on the XP (source) or Vista (destination)?

Thanks,

"Jay Moore" <dewdude@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>

>> On both Vista, file sharing on or off makes no difference
>> Also, password protection on or off makes no difference.
>> The transfer quota is set to unlimited.
>> Windows firewalls are turned off.
>> The router is a D-Link DIR -655.
>> When attempting a wired copy, the wireless is disabled.
>>

>> XP to XP copies work fine. And from Vista to XP works fine (opposite
>> direction), as does Vista to Vista. It only fails from XP to Vista.
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated. Cross posted to
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general.
>> Also as a response to mzfl on 6/21.
>>
>> I have an open incident with Microsoft, but so far, they have not been
>> able
>> to resolve the situation.
>>
>> I highly suspect the new file copy algorithm / permission validation in
>> the
>> new SP1. SP1 was supposed to correct the file copy problems, but I don't

VoiceOfReason

Re: Can't copy large files from XP Share
Microsoft has had this problem with Vista since the beginning and, if I read
these posts correctly, even in XP, yet it appears the only definitive
solution is a hacked version of tcpip.sys provided by a non-MSFT genius
developer which is now rejected as foreign by Vista.

Not to be thwarted by such corporate recalcitrance in the face of superior
intellect, the guy has actually implemented a workaround which runs as a
service and dynamically fixes Microsoft's problem on the fly. Moreover, he is
widely expected to repeat the effort with a patch for SP1 shortly - out of
the goodness of his heart, for thousands (if not millions) of anxious
Microsoft customers.

Couldn't MSFT hire this guy, or at least steal his fix?

Add this problem to the standard Vista networking configuration which
implements a throughput control protocol unsupported by 99% of the devices
out there (which results in LAN throughput approaching dial-up speed, and for
which there is a MSFT-published REGISTRY HACK workaround) and you have a
network stack effectively crippled not by techinical incompetence, but by
organizational dysfunction.

Can't anyone write requirements anymore? How about these two: "The product
must be compatible with the previous version, 90% of existing consumer
networking devices, and should be backwards compatible with as many previous
versions of the product as reasonably possible. All meaningful settings
should be user-configurable through the UI."

Backward-compatibility may be difficult, but it is a cornerstone of
Microsoft's success, and was a long-standing Gates edict.

Vista appears to be Ballmer's baby. Spawn of the devil...

I miss Bill already.

"VISTA: The last Microsoft OS you'll ever need!"