Can't see XP network from Vista

DR

Can't see XP network from Vista
I have WASTED hours trying to get what should work out of the box to work.

I simply want to see shared files on my XP Pro PC on my Vista PC.

I followed the guide here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7037.aspx#EDAA

I installed the 922120 patch.

I unblocked a bunch of ports.

I re-ran the setup a new home network wizard on the XP computer.

I re-named both work groups to be the exact same thing.

But it still doesn't work.

I am beyond astounded that Microsoft would not build this BASIC
FUNCTIONALITY into Windows Vista out of the box.

It is really making me want to use a Mac, and I have been using PC's for
over 20 years.

So, all rants aside, can anyone help?

Thanks.
Sid

RE: Can't see XP network from Vista
Welcome to the club, buddy, and my HELL. I've been going at it for months,
f*ing MONTHS. I've tried everything you have plus many registry edits and
netsh commands, and Vista STILL refuses to cooperate, maybe we should start a
support group...

Anyway here is what someone suggested to me, it didn't work for me, but
maybe it will work for you:

Uuups -- after several weeks I finally found two small registry patches that
solved the problem thanks to the hints on PChuck's Network:

(a) (That's possible the most important one when using fixed IPs) Got to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Lsa \

There you either find or have to create "LMCompatibilityLevel" as REG_DWORD.

Enter 1 as value on all computers in your network. That instructs your
computer to use NTLMv2, where possible, but to also accept older auth methods.

(b) (Important if you use a DHCP server to assign the IP addresses of your
workstations) Got to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Tcpip \
Parameters \ Interfaces \ {GUID}

(where {GUID} means your active network card, just bwrowse through your few
entries till you got it)

There you either find or have to create "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" as
REG_DWORD

Enter a value of 0 -- this way Vista does not use DHCP broadcast if your
router doesn't support it.

After a restart I could connect to my XP Pro SP3 workstations again.

Sincerely,

Therese

You can also try resetting the Winsock and/or the TCP/IP stacks in Vista:

Resetting the Winsock stack in Vista:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...og-corruption/

Resetting the TCP/IP stack:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...a-2003-and-xp/

These steps showed promise, but it ended up not working for me.

Also see if you can ping both machines from one another.

If no one here can/wants to help you, try asking here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...=716&SiteID=17

Its what I'm gonna do. Anyway goodluck, let us know if you were able to get
it to work.

-Sid
Mick Murphy

RE: Can't see XP network from Vista
Below is how I set up Networking XP Pro and Vista Home Premium, with NO
problems!!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"DR" wrote:

> I have WASTED hours trying to get what should work out of the box to work.
>
> I simply want to see shared files on my XP Pro PC on my Vista PC.
>
> I followed the guide here:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7037.aspx#EDAA
>
> I installed the 922120 patch.
>
> I unblocked a bunch of ports.
>
> I re-ran the setup a new home network wizard on the XP computer.
>
> I re-named both work groups to be the exact same thing.
>
> But it still doesn't work.
>
> I am beyond astounded that Microsoft would not build this BASIC
> FUNCTIONALITY into Windows Vista out of the box.
>
> It is really making me want to use a Mac, and I have been using PC's for
> over 20 years.
>
> So, all rants aside, can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).