Vista Wireless PC cannont access XP desktop

Mongo

Vista Wireless PC cannont access XP desktop
I have read every article that Jack lists in his standard reply.

I have an XP desktop (SP2 Home). Connects to the LAN / Internet with
Speedstream 6520 modem / router via 10bT.

I have a Vista SP1 notebook wireless. Connects to Lan / Internet with
Speedstream 6520 modem / router via 801.11g. I want the Vista machine to ba
able to access folders and printer on the XP machine.

Both computers can ping each other.

Both the wired XP and wireless Vista can browse and get email.

Firewalls on both machines are OFF.

IPV6 is OFF on the Vista machine.

Both machnes are on workgroup MSHOME.

Both machines show up in each other's network places.

The wired XP machine can access the wireless Vista's shared folders (PUBLIC).

The Vista machine has network set to "private"

Both machines are using the same account name and password.

The Vista machine gets the error message "Cannot access \\xp machine. You
may not have permission etc."

Only thing I have seen in the online forums is that on XP Home "remote users
authenticate as Guest". Guest is OFF on that machine.

Is that it? I'm pulling my hair out. Mac?

Please reply.

Joe

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Wireless PC cannont access XP desktop
Read down the bottom of my standard reply: run XP's wizard for file and
printer sharing!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Mongo" wrote:

> I have read every article that Jack lists in his standard reply.
>
> I have an XP desktop (SP2 Home). Connects to the LAN / Internet with
> Speedstream 6520 modem / router via 10bT.
>
> I have a Vista SP1 notebook wireless. Connects to Lan / Internet with
> Speedstream 6520 modem / router via 801.11g. I want the Vista machine to ba
> able to access folders and printer on the XP machine.
>
> Both computers can ping each other.
>
> Both the wired XP and wireless Vista can browse and get email.
>
> Firewalls on both machines are OFF.
>
> IPV6 is OFF on the Vista machine.
>
> Both machnes are on workgroup MSHOME.
>
> Both machines show up in each other's network places.
>
> The wired XP machine can access the wireless Vista's shared folders (PUBLIC).
>
> The Vista machine has network set to "private"
>
> Both machines are using the same account name and password.
>
> The Vista machine gets the error message "Cannot access \\xp machine. You
> may not have permission etc."
>
> Only thing I have seen in the online forums is that on XP Home "remote users
> authenticate as Guest". Guest is OFF on that machine.
>
> Is that it? I'm pulling my hair out. Mac?
>
> Please reply.
>
> Joe

Mongo

RE: Vista Wireless PC cannont access XP desktop
Hi Mick

Thanks for the reply.

Most of the information pertains to making Vista accessible and I don't have
any problem accessing the Vista machine from the XP machine.

There is very little information about what to do to an XP Home SP2 machine
except that I think I should run the File and Printer Sharing Wizard AGAIN.

You didn't comment about the GUEST account. Is that irrelevant?

Cheers, Joe