Can't Connect to Printer on XP

Jim Wetzel

Can't Connect to Printer on XP
I'm running Vista w/SP1 and trying to connect to a HPF380 on an XP SP3
machine. I can access files on the XP machine, see the printer but when I try
to connect I get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not
be completed (error 0x000003eb)."

I have the F380 drivers installed on the Vista machine -- just can
t get past the error message nor find any reference to the error message.

Suggestions?

Jim
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't Connect to Printer on XP
You may want to add printer locally and then map it as network printer. This
search result may help
Vista Print Issues
Solved: Vista print Error 0x00000866 Resolution: 1. Add a Local
Printer and then create a new port pointing to the shared printer. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Jim Wetzel" <JimWetzel@eMail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista w/SP1 and trying to connect to a HPF380 on an XP SP3
> machine. I can access files on the XP machine, see the printer but when I
> try
> to connect I get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could
> not
> be completed (error 0x000003eb)."
>
> I have the F380 drivers installed on the Vista machine -- just can
> t get past the error message nor find any reference to the error message.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Jim

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't Connect to Printer on XP
Have you run XP's Home Network Wizard to allow file and printer sharing?
And in Vista's Network and Sharing>Add Network Device>Browse to XP's
Printer> install.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Jim Wetzel" wrote:

> I'm running Vista w/SP1 and trying to connect to a HPF380 on an XP SP3
> machine. I can access files on the XP machine, see the printer but when I try
> to connect I get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not
> be completed (error 0x000003eb)."
>
> I have the F380 drivers installed on the Vista machine -- just can
> t get past the error message nor find any reference to the error message.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Jim

Jim Wetzel

RE: Can't Connect to Printer on XP
Mick and Robert,

Thanks for the response -- the problem actually turned out to be some of the
extra printer software that was installed along with the driver. I went back
and un-installed to the bare minimum and low and behold the systems
connected.

I had run the XP wizard but had not tried the local mapping.

Thanks for the prompt replies.