Help - Home Network access trouble

User66

Help - Home Network access trouble
We have a home network setup with a PC (XP op sys) as the network server and couple of other PCs (XP
op sys) and a laptop, running Vista Home Premium. We can transfer files and use a common printer on
the server from all of these PCs and the laptop. Our problem is, the Laptop is running Vista. We
can transfer files from the laptop to other PCs, but cannot transfer any file to it, nor can we
reach the USB plug in printer on the laptop.

In laptop, as I click on the Network icon, I can see all other PCs under the common workgroup, and
as I click on any of the icons, it opens the documents and the printer icons.

As I tried to create a shortcut icon for the laptop on another PC, network finds the laptop and
creates an icon. But when I click on this icon, it says :-

"\\laptop-1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact
the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions"

Since I am the administrator, and I do have permission for all of the PCs and the laptop in this
little network, how do I let the Vista op system know about it? Any idea what to do to make the
laptop open for file transfer?

Appreciate help and comments.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Help - Home Network access trouble
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a home network setup with a PC (XP op sys) as the network server
> and couple of other PCs (XP op sys) and a laptop, running Vista Home
> Premium. We can transfer files and use a common printer on the server
> from all of these PCs and the laptop. Our problem is, the Laptop is
> running Vista. We can transfer files from the laptop to other PCs, but
> cannot transfer any file to it, nor can we reach the USB plug in printer
> on the laptop.
>
> In laptop, as I click on the Network icon, I can see all other PCs under
> the common workgroup, and as I click on any of the icons, it opens the
> documents and the printer icons.
>
> As I tried to create a shortcut icon for the laptop on another PC, network
> finds the laptop and creates an icon. But when I click on this icon, it
> says :-
>
> "\\laptop-1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if
> you have access permissions"
>
> Since I am the administrator, and I do have permission for all of the PCs
> and the laptop in this little network, how do I let the Vista op system
> know about it? Any idea what to do to make the laptop open for file
> transfer?
>
> Appreciate help and comments.

User66

Re: Help - Home Network access trouble
Thank you so much. I have rechecked the settings as described
on -http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
I am now able to enter my laptop from other PCs in the network.

But I am having problem with the Print Spooler. As I try the following to load a network printer,
:- Start, Printers, Add a printer, it asks, Add a local printer or Add a network, wireless or
Bluetooth printer. I choose a network printer, it shows the available printers..., I choose the HP
LaserJet 1020, and it says connecting, but that is the end of it. The description of the error is
:-

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please
restart the spooler or restart the machine."

How do I restart the print spooler without restarting the laptop?

Any suggestions?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
> Vista File and Printer Sharing- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> Windows XP File Sharing - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
> Printer Sharing XP -
> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> We have a home network setup with a PC (XP op sys) as the network server and couple of other PCs
>> (XP op sys) and a laptop, running Vista Home Premium. We can transfer files and use a common
>> printer on the server from all of these PCs and the laptop. Our problem is, the Laptop is
>> running Vista. We can transfer files from the laptop to other PCs, but cannot transfer any file
>> to it, nor can we reach the USB plug in printer on the laptop.
>>
>> In laptop, as I click on the Network icon, I can see all other PCs under the common workgroup,
>> and as I click on any of the icons, it opens the documents and the printer icons.
>>
>> As I tried to create a shortcut icon for the laptop on another PC, network finds the laptop and
>> creates an icon. But when I click on this icon, it says :-
>>
>> "\\laptop-1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
>> Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions"
>>
>> Since I am the administrator, and I do have permission for all of the PCs and the laptop in this
>> little network, how do I let the Vista op system know about it? Any idea what to do to make the
>> laptop open for file transfer?
>>
>> Appreciate help and comments.

Eric Cross

Re: Help - Home Network access trouble
Hello User66,

If you haven't already, please see on the Print Spooler error:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6675&SiteID=17

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)