Multiple Linksys products and Vista

Walkman

Multiple Linksys products and Vista
I have looked quite a bit but cannot find a situation that applies to my
situation, plus I am new to networking:

I have one PC running Vista, one laptop running XP Pro and one laptop
running Vista.

I have cable internet, that runs to a Linksys BFESR41 router, one hardwire
goes out to the PC. One hardwire goes out to the internet connection for a
Linksys WRT54G, which then provides the internet access for both laptops.

Linksys tech support helped me get internet to all three computers. They had
me do a MAC clone on the wired router and PC to get internet working on the
PC. Then they had me hook the wireless router to the wired router via the
wireless router internet "in" connection.

I want to network all three computers so that I can access files on each
computer, as well as share a printer that is connected to the PC.

As of now I have internet on all three computers, but they do not "find/see"
each other.

I would appreciate any assistance provided, again I am a little new so I
apologize in advance if I have not provided the necessary info, but I will
provide whatever is needed.
Barb Bowman

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
why not take the BEFSR41 out of the picture and use only the WRT54G?
using two routers like this is not standard topology.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Walkman

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
The distribution panel for the house is in an upstairs closet, but I can't
put the wireless router in there, because then it dampens the signal too much
and is not useful... so the only thing I could come up with was to ward wire
the upstairs computers and then sens a signal downstairs for the wireless
router.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> why not take the BEFSR41 out of the picture and use only the WRT54G?
> using two routers like this is not standard topology.
>
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:56:00 -0700, Walkman
> <Walkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have looked quite a bit but cannot find a situation that applies to my
> >situation, plus I am new to networking:
> >
> >I have one PC running Vista, one laptop running XP Pro and one laptop
> >running Vista.
> >
> >I have cable internet, that runs to a Linksys BFESR41 router, one hardwire
> >goes out to the PC. One hardwire goes out to the internet connection for a
> >Linksys WRT54G, which then provides the internet access for both laptops.
> >
> >Linksys tech support helped me get internet to all three computers. They had
> >me do a MAC clone on the wired router and PC to get internet working on the
> >PC. Then they had me hook the wireless router to the wired router via the
> >wireless router internet "in" connection.
> >
> >I want to network all three computers so that I can access files on each
> >computer, as well as share a printer that is connected to the PC.
> >
> >As of now I have internet on all three computers, but they do not "find/see"
> >each other.
> >
> >I would appreciate any assistance provided, again I am a little new so I
> >apologize in advance if I have not provided the necessary info, but I will
> >provide whatever is needed.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
where is your broadband modem in relation to all of this?

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:58:03 -0700, Walkman
<Walkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The distribution panel for the house is in an upstairs closet, but I can't
>put the wireless router in there, because then it dampens the signal too much
>and is not useful... so the only thing I could come up with was to ward wire
>the upstairs computers and then sens a signal downstairs for the wireless
>router.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> why not take the BEFSR41 out of the picture and use only the WRT54G?
>> using two routers like this is not standard topology.
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:56:00 -0700, Walkman
>> <Walkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have looked quite a bit but cannot find a situation that applies to my
>> >situation, plus I am new to networking:
>> >
>> >I have one PC running Vista, one laptop running XP Pro and one laptop
>> >running Vista.
>> >
>> >I have cable internet, that runs to a Linksys BFESR41 router, one hardwire
>> >goes out to the PC. One hardwire goes out to the internet connection for a
>> >Linksys WRT54G, which then provides the internet access for both laptops.
>> >
>> >Linksys tech support helped me get internet to all three computers. They had
>> >me do a MAC clone on the wired router and PC to get internet working on the
>> >PC. Then they had me hook the wireless router to the wired router via the
>> >wireless router internet "in" connection.
>> >
>> >I want to network all three computers so that I can access files on each
>> >computer, as well as share a printer that is connected to the PC.
>> >
>> >As of now I have internet on all three computers, but they do not "find/see"
>> >each other.
>> >
>> >I would appreciate any assistance provided, again I am a little new so I
>> >apologize in advance if I have not provided the necessary info, but I will
>> >provide whatever is needed.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Walkman

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
It is in the closet as well.... the cable comes into the closet via the
attic/crawl space... not real convenient to be honest... so I have the wired
router in there, because the house is pre wired for networking... so I have
one line running to the upstairs office where I have the wired PC... the
other line runs out of the router and (via the pre wire) down to the first
floor in the living room where it goes into the wireless router....

The problem is that I can't seem to get all computers to see each other so I
can share files and the printer upstairs.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> where is your broadband modem in relation to all of this?
>
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:58:03 -0700, Walkman
> <Walkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The distribution panel for the house is in an upstairs closet, but I can't
> >put the wireless router in there, because then it dampens the signal too much
> >and is not useful... so the only thing I could come up with was to ward wire
> >the upstairs computers and then sens a signal downstairs for the wireless
> >router.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> why not take the BEFSR41 out of the picture and use only the WRT54G?
> >> using two routers like this is not standard topology.

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Mick Murphy

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
Read below for Networking XP and vista.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Walkman" wrote:

> It is in the closet as well.... the cable comes into the closet via the
> attic/crawl space... not real convenient to be honest... so I have the wired
> router in there, because the house is pre wired for networking... so I have
> one line running to the upstairs office where I have the wired PC... the
> other line runs out of the router and (via the pre wire) down to the first
> floor in the living room where it goes into the wireless router....
>
> The problem is that I can't seem to get all computers to see each other so I
> can share files and the printer upstairs.
>

> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
> > where is your broadband modem in relation to all of this?
> >
> > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:58:03 -0700, Walkman
> > <Walkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >The distribution panel for the house is in an upstairs closet, but I can't
> > >put the wireless router in there, because then it dampens the signal too much
> > >and is not useful... so the only thing I could come up with was to ward wire
> > >the upstairs computers and then sens a signal downstairs for the wireless
> > >router.

> > --
> >
> > Barb Bowman
> > MS-MVP
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

Barb Bowman

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
I think it is possible to turn the WRT54G into an access point only.
I don't have one handy, but in essence, you turn off DHCP and NAT
(these are key steps). and I believe you plug the cable in to one of
the LAN ports and not the WAN (Internet) port. Is this what the tech
had you do?

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:25:29 -0700, Walkman
<Walkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It is in the closet as well.... the cable comes into the closet via the
>attic/crawl space... not real convenient to be honest... so I have the wired
>router in there, because the house is pre wired for networking... so I have
>one line running to the upstairs office where I have the wired PC... the
>other line runs out of the router and (via the pre wire) down to the first
>floor in the living room where it goes into the wireless router....
>
>The problem is that I can't seem to get all computers to see each other so I
>can share files and the printer upstairs.
>

>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> where is your broadband modem in relation to all of this?
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:58:03 -0700, Walkman
>> <Walkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The distribution panel for the house is in an upstairs closet, but I can't
>> >put the wireless router in there, because then it dampens the signal too much
>> >and is not useful... so the only thing I could come up with was to ward wire
>> >the upstairs computers and then sens a signal downstairs for the wireless
>> >router.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Walkman

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
Mick, thanks for the settings I will check on those

Barb,

That is how I had it set up before, but this time they did it different. The
guy has be do a MAC clone on the wired router. Then send the line out to the
WRT54G and put it into the internet connection. He said it would work for
networking, but it's not.

I don't know (remember) how to do it the other way... in the past though I
had the line just running into the LAN port of the WRT54G

So could I take the WRT54G, turn off the DHCP and NAT and then just put the
cable into a LAN port? Or do I need to do something to the other router, PC,
etc?

I really appreciate the help with this

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> I think it is possible to turn the WRT54G into an access point only.
> I don't have one handy, but in essence, you turn off DHCP and NAT
> (these are key steps). and I believe you plug the cable in to one of
> the LAN ports and not the WAN (Internet) port. Is this what the tech
> had you do?
>
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:25:29 -0700, Walkman
> <Walkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >It is in the closet as well.... the cable comes into the closet via the
> >attic/crawl space... not real convenient to be honest... so I have the wired
> >router in there, because the house is pre wired for networking... so I have
> >one line running to the upstairs office where I have the wired PC... the
> >other line runs out of the router and (via the pre wire) down to the first
> >floor in the living room where it goes into the wireless router....
> >
> >The problem is that I can't seem to get all computers to see each other so I
> >can share files and the printer upstairs.
> >

> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> where is your broadband modem in relation to all of this?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
yes to the first. no to the second. you may have to give the WRT54G
a static IP, but try it first without.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:40:00 -0700, Walkman

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Walkman

Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
Sorry I went out of town and came back to a full desk of work.... I did as
you suggested and it worked like a charm... thanks for the help it is working
great now and I can access any computer on the network that I want.