VPN / Local resources

skaas

VPN / Local resources

OK ladies and gents,

I have a problem I was hoping someone would have the solution to.

The concept

We have two sites

Our first site has Windows Xp on its machines

Site two has Windows Vista on its machines

From Site Two we have set up a VPN so the users can Remote Access the
machines at Site One

This is working fine. I can connect to remote desktop from site two
over to site one.

The problem

At site two the machines are four laptops that are connected to each
other with a wireless connection.

These we will call Dos1, Dos2, Dos3 and Dos4

Dos4 has a USB printer connected to it.

All the machines can print locally to the printer connected on Dos4

What we need is to be able to print files that are at Site One to the
printer on Dos4 locally (At site 2)

When setting up a remote desktop connection there is a tab for Local
Resources - on this tab there is a tick box for "Printers" I have
ticked this.

But still when I try to send a print job to the printer on Dos4 it
still prints to the printer at Site one......

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening and what can be
done to resolve the issue??

--
skaas
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN / Local resources
The Vista VPN is peer to peer VPN and is not design as VPN server. Some one
may suggest to enable Ip routing. But I haven't try it.

Routing how toHow to display the routing table How to disable ip
routing/forwarding on a W2K Pro? How to enable ip routing/forwarding on
Win2k ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/routing.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"skaas" <skaas.2a94eae@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> OK ladies and gents,
>
> I have a problem I was hoping someone would have the solution to.
>
> The concept
>
> We have two sites
>
> Our first site has Windows Xp on its machines
>
> Site two has Windows Vista on its machines
>
> From Site Two we have set up a VPN so the users can Remote Access the
> machines at Site One
>
> This is working fine. I can connect to remote desktop from site two
> over to site one.
>
> The problem
>
> At site two the machines are four laptops that are connected to each
> other with a wireless connection.
>
> These we will call Dos1, Dos2, Dos3 and Dos4
>
> Dos4 has a USB printer connected to it.
>
> All the machines can print locally to the printer connected on Dos4
>
> What we need is to be able to print files that are at Site One to the
> printer on Dos4 locally (At site 2)
>
> When setting up a remote desktop connection there is a tab for Local
> Resources - on this tab there is a tick box for "Printers" I have
> ticked this.
>
> But still when I try to send a print job to the printer on Dos4 it
> still prints to the printer at Site one......
>
> Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening and what can be
> done to resolve the issue??
>

> --
> skaas

skaas

Re: VPN / Local resources

'Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_961_ Wrote:
> ;663233']The Vista VPN is peer to peer VPN and is not design as VPN
> server. Some one
> may suggest to enable Ip routing. But I haven't try it.
>
> Routing how toHow to display the routing table How to disable ip
> routing/forwarding on a W2K Pro? How to enable ip routing/forwarding on
>
> Win2k ...
> 'Routing how to'
> (http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/routing.htm)
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> 'Networking, VPN, TS, Remote Access and Internet Troubleshooting'
> (http://www.ChicagoTech.net)
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "skaas" skaas.2a94eae@vistabanter.com wrote in message
>
> OK ladies and gents,
>
> I have a problem I was hoping someone would have the solution to.
>
> The concept
>
> We have two sites
>
> Our first site has Windows Xp on its machines
>
> Site two has Windows Vista on its machines
>
> From Site Two we have set up a VPN so the users can Remote Access the
> machines at Site One
>
> This is working fine. I can connect to remote desktop from site two
> over to site one.
>
> The problem
>
> At site two the machines are four laptops that are connected to each
> other with a wireless connection.
>
> These we will call Dos1, Dos2, Dos3 and Dos4
>
> Dos4 has a USB printer connected to it.
>
> All the machines can print locally to the printer connected on Dos4
>
> What we need is to be able to print files that are at Site One to the
> printer on Dos4 locally (At site 2)
>
> When setting up a remote desktop connection there is a tab for Local
> Resources - on this tab there is a tick box for "Printers" I have
> ticked this.
>
> But still when I try to send a print job to the printer on Dos4 it
> still prints to the printer at Site one......
>
> Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening and what can be
> done to resolve the issue??
>

> --
> skaas -

The VPN already connects via a static IP

--
skaas