unusual connection problem

elocin.j

unusual connection problem
just to get the basics out of the way:

laptop - vista
router - linksys - model: BEFW11S4

i'm having trouble connecting to the internet ONLY when i set the password
for the network. when the network is unsecured, i have no problems with the
connection. however, once i get the password set up, i won't be able to
connect at all. signal strength would be excellent [i'd be 2 feet away from
the router]; and after diagnostics are ran, the advice given is for
"troubleshooting low wireless signal quality problems," which obviously isn't
the case. i had assumed it was because my router was set to block WAN
requests, so i went and disabled that; still not connecting.

i don't know what else to do. any help is greatly appreciated. =]
PD43

Re: unusual connection problem
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:13:01 -0700, elocin.j
<elocin.j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>just to get the basics out of the way:
>
>laptop - vista
>router - linksys - model: BEFW11S4
>

>i'm having trouble connecting to the internet ONLY when i set the password
>for the network. when the network is unsecured, i have no problems with the
>connection. however, once i get the password set up, i won't be able to
>connect at all.

I had that happened when I set the router security to the highest
level of two choices (don't recall what it was - WPA?). When I set
the router to the lower leve - WEP - my notebook connected fine.

Never researched the problem to find out why.

> signal strength would be excellent [i'd be 2 feet away from
>the router]; and after diagnostics are ran, the advice given is for
>"troubleshooting low wireless signal quality problems," which obviously isn't
>the case. i had assumed it was because my router was set to block WAN
>requests, so i went and disabled that; still not connecting.
>
>i don't know what else to do. any help is greatly appreciated. =]

elocin.j

Re: unusual connection problem
Did exactly as you said and it works fine now - wonder why that is though.

Oh well.

Thanks a lot!

"PD43" wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:13:01 -0700, elocin.j
> <elocin.j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >just to get the basics out of the way:
> >
> >laptop - vista
> >router - linksys - model: BEFW11S4
> >

> >i'm having trouble connecting to the internet ONLY when i set the password
> >for the network. when the network is unsecured, i have no problems with the
> >connection. however, once i get the password set up, i won't be able to
> >connect at all.

> I had that happened when I set the router security to the highest
> level of two choices (don't recall what it was - WPA?). When I set
> the router to the lower leve - WEP - my notebook connected fine.
>
> Never researched the problem to find out why.
>
> > signal strength would be excellent [i'd be 2 feet away from
> >the router]; and after diagnostics are ran, the advice given is for
> >"troubleshooting low wireless signal quality problems," which obviously isn't
> >the case. i had assumed it was because my router was set to block WAN
> >requests, so i went and disabled that; still not connecting.
> >
> >i don't know what else to do. any help is greatly appreciated. =]

PD43

Re: unusual connection problem
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:13:01 -0700, elocin.j
<elocinj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Did exactly as you said and it works fine now - wonder why that is though.

So do I... but like you, I'm glad it works.