Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL

Sid

Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL
Its been about three months since I've given up trying to network my Vista
machine with my XP machine, but I thought I would try it again.

Some people were helping me, and I thank them, sorry for not updating my
post, but there was nothing to update.

Anyway here are my symptoms again:

*Vista (Ultimate) machine cannot see XP (Home SP2) machine.
*XP machine can see and access the Vista machine.
*Xp machine shows up in the Vista Network Map, but not the Network Folder.
*Both machines can ping each other.
*I can access the XP machine via IP address, I can access the shared folder
but not a shared printer.
*IPConfig for Vista shows that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled even though
it is enabled in the Network Adaptor Properties dialog. (NetBIOS over TCP/IP
always enabled, the middle radio button)

Other information:
*Everything worked as it should once apon a time, then it all went to Hell.
It could have been an update, tweaking software, or antivirus setting, but I
notcie too late to do anything about it.
*I know it can't be that I don't have the same User/Password on both
machines (I tried it anyway but it still didn't work), because it worked
awhile back without having the same accounts on both machines.
*I had Bitdefender 2008 on the Vista machine, the Firewall log had entries
that the ports 138 and 139 were being refused, despite having the XP machine
being on the trusted list (by its IP address). So I uninstalled the
Antivirus, but the problem persists.
*The XP machine has Zone Alarm Internet Security.
*I have an Archos Media Player. It can act as a file server and can connect
to a network like a regular computer. It can see the XP machine and the XP
machine can see it. The Vista machine cannnot see it , and the Archos Media
Player cannot see the Vista machine. The Vista machine and Archos Media
Player can see each other when networking worked. I believe the OS is Linux
based.
*I have a Linksys WRT350N router.

I can only conclude something is wrong with the Vista machine only, as all
other devices are working like they should.
I have the following settings in the Network and Sharing window in Vista:
*Network: Private
*Network Discovery: On
*File Sharing: On
*Public Folder Sharing: On (Read Only)
*Password Protected Sharing: Off
*Media Sharing: On

I will post my IPConfig for my Vista machine in a reply. Thanks for reading
this far at least, any help is appreciated.
Mick Murphy

RE: Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL
Have a read of it again!
What to do with XP is at the bottom!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Sid" wrote:

> Its been about three months since I've given up trying to network my Vista
> machine with my XP machine, but I thought I would try it again.
>
> Some people were helping me, and I thank them, sorry for not updating my
> post, but there was nothing to update.
>
> Anyway here are my symptoms again:
>
> *Vista (Ultimate) machine cannot see XP (Home SP2) machine.
> *XP machine can see and access the Vista machine.
> *Xp machine shows up in the Vista Network Map, but not the Network Folder.
> *Both machines can ping each other.
> *I can access the XP machine via IP address, I can access the shared folder
> but not a shared printer.
> *IPConfig for Vista shows that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled even though
> it is enabled in the Network Adaptor Properties dialog. (NetBIOS over TCP/IP
> always enabled, the middle radio button)
>
> Other information:
> *Everything worked as it should once apon a time, then it all went to Hell.
> It could have been an update, tweaking software, or antivirus setting, but I
> notcie too late to do anything about it.
> *I know it can't be that I don't have the same User/Password on both
> machines (I tried it anyway but it still didn't work), because it worked
> awhile back without having the same accounts on both machines.
> *I had Bitdefender 2008 on the Vista machine, the Firewall log had entries
> that the ports 138 and 139 were being refused, despite having the XP machine
> being on the trusted list (by its IP address). So I uninstalled the
> Antivirus, but the problem persists.
> *The XP machine has Zone Alarm Internet Security.
> *I have an Archos Media Player. It can act as a file server and can connect
> to a network like a regular computer. It can see the XP machine and the XP
> machine can see it. The Vista machine cannnot see it , and the Archos Media
> Player cannot see the Vista machine. The Vista machine and Archos Media
> Player can see each other when networking worked. I believe the OS is Linux
> based.
> *I have a Linksys WRT350N router.
>
> I can only conclude something is wrong with the Vista machine only, as all
> other devices are working like they should.
> I have the following settings in the Network and Sharing window in Vista:
> *Network: Private
> *Network Discovery: On
> *File Sharing: On
> *Public Folder Sharing: On (Read Only)
> *Password Protected Sharing: Off
> *Media Sharing: On
>
> I will post my IPConfig for my Vista machine in a reply. Thanks for reading
> this far at least, any help is appreciated.

TT

RE: Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL
Dear Sid,

I've already posted this under a thread called 'authentification mystery',
but as it was originated some weeks ago it's a bit hard to find. Thus this is
a complete cite of that enty and I hope it might help.

Uuups -- after several weeks I finally found two small registry patches that
solved the problem thanks to the hints on PChuck's Network:

(a) (That's possible the most important one when using fixed IPs) Got to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Lsa \

There you either find or have to create "LMCompatibilityLevel" as REG_DWORD.

Enter 1 as value on all computers in your network. That instructs your
computer to use NTLMv2, where possible, but to also accept older auth methods.

(b) (Important if you use a DHCP server to assign the IP addresses of your
workstations) Got to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Tcpip \
Parameters \ Interfaces \ {GUID}

(where {GUID} means your active network card, just bwrowse through your few
entries till you got it)

There you either find or have to create "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" as
REG_DWORD

Enter a value of 0 -- this way Vista does not use DHCP broadcast if your
router doesn't support it.

After a restart I could connect to my XP Pro SP3 workstations again.

Sincerely,

Therese

Sid

RE: Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL
TT,

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately they did not work. Do you by
chance have any other ideas? I think its a a problem with NEtBIOS over
TCP/IP. Why, even though I have it enabled, does it come out as disabled in
the ipconfig /all?

Thanks again.

"TT" wrote:

> Dear Sid,
>
> I've already posted this under a thread called 'authentification mystery',
> but as it was originated some weeks ago it's a bit hard to find. Thus this is
> a complete cite of that enty and I hope it might help.

> Uuups -- after several weeks I finally found two small registry patches that
> solved the problem thanks to the hints on PChuck's Network:
>
> (a) (That's possible the most important one when using fixed IPs) Got to
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Lsa \
>
> There you either find or have to create "LMCompatibilityLevel" as REG_DWORD.
>
> Enter 1 as value on all computers in your network. That instructs your
> computer to use NTLMv2, where possible, but to also accept older auth methods.
>

> (b) (Important if you use a DHCP server to assign the IP addresses of your
> workstations) Got to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Tcpip \
> Parameters \ Interfaces \ {GUID}
>
> (where {GUID} means your active network card, just bwrowse through your few
> entries till you got it)
>
> There you either find or have to create "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" as
> REG_DWORD
>
> Enter a value of 0 -- this way Vista does not use DHCP broadcast if your
> router doesn't support it.
>

> After a restart I could connect to my XP Pro SP3 workstations again.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Therese

marianz41 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi,
i had vista hook up to xp and had no problems but if you are running likes of zonealarm on the vista it blocks xp machine to have connection with the vista
Mick Murphy

RE: connection falls and getting message to reset network adaptor all
Check at the computer Manufacturer's website for the latest Network Adaptor
Drivers.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"marianz41" wrote:

> running vista and the connection falls all the time and get told to
> reset network adaptor all the time why is this .
>

> --
> marianz41

Sid

RE: Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL
I've tried resetting the Winsock and TCP/IP stacks using netsh.

The XP machine became visible for awhile in the Vista Network folder, but I
could still not access its resources. But then the Vista maching became
invisible to the XP machine.

Now its back to normal (XP can now see the Vista machine, but Vista cannot
see XP)

All I can say now is WTF!?!

Any help is appreciated.

"TT" wrote:

> Dear Sid,
>
> I've already posted this under a thread called 'authentification mystery',
> but as it was originated some weeks ago it's a bit hard to find. Thus this is
> a complete cite of that enty and I hope it might help.

> Uuups -- after several weeks I finally found two small registry patches that
> solved the problem thanks to the hints on PChuck's Network:
>
> (a) (That's possible the most important one when using fixed IPs) Got to
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Lsa \
>
> There you either find or have to create "LMCompatibilityLevel" as REG_DWORD.
>
> Enter 1 as value on all computers in your network. That instructs your
> computer to use NTLMv2, where possible, but to also accept older auth methods.
>

> (b) (Important if you use a DHCP server to assign the IP addresses of your
> workstations) Got to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Tcpip \
> Parameters \ Interfaces \ {GUID}
>
> (where {GUID} means your active network card, just bwrowse through your few
> entries till you got it)
>
> There you either find or have to create "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" as
> REG_DWORD
>
> Enter a value of 0 -- this way Vista does not use DHCP broadcast if your
> router doesn't support it.
>

> After a restart I could connect to my XP Pro SP3 workstations again.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Therese

cdunne

Re: connection falls and getting message to reset network adaptor all the time can anyone help with this ?

Decided to uninstall 3rd party internet security to see if Windows
Update would give Vista SP 1. No luck there but did notice that now my
internet connection worked fine. I installed Windows live care internet
security and still no need to reset netrwork adapter, still fine. Didn't
like One-Care functions so uninstalled it. No choice of turning off
Live-Care defrag tune-up and use my own.
So I reinstalled 3rd party internet security and viola! Network adapter
had to be reset again after each reboot.
Is MS looking for more Dough so you will use their internet security
instead of 3rd party software. Suspect one of their latest patches to
have caused this.

--
cdunne
ghayman

Re: connection falls and getting message to reset network adaptor all the time can anyone help with this ?

Hello,

See the solutions to the multiple network connections issues. They are
related to your issues and the error message you are receiving. It is a
known vista issue where vistas default network settings cause problems
with network adapters. Microsoft will likely include a fix in the next
vista sp.

--
ghayman
Rocha

RE: Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL
People,

I´ve had the same problem for loooong 8 months!

I have a notebook with xp, a desktop with vista home premiun and a router.

I´ve had read a lot of discussion groups, microsoft tech issues, try this,
try that, dancing the rain dace, etc etc etc....

So, like you sad: a hell!

But, until today! Thanks God!

I executed this program

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Win...sockxpfix.html

that soved my all connective problems with XP x Vista. Yes, I sad ALL.

I read about it here: http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=190294

Hope it helps you.

Good lock!