Does Vista allow automatic sync of files between two PCs via theinternet?

techman41973@yahoo.com

Does Vista allow automatic sync of files between two PCs via theinternet?
I am purchasing a new laptop and desktop with Windows Vista (current
machines are XP).
The desktop will be at home while my laptop will be with me when I
frequently travel. I have a note taking program that I use in Windows
(JOT+). When on the road, I don't always want to open my laptop
everytime I need to check my notes and the note taking program doesnt
have a file format that reads well on my IPAQ PDA. One idea I had was
to use a service like gotomypc or logmein to remotely login to my home
desktop PC from my PDA (which works reasonably well) to read content
in these note files (as if I was sitting at my desktop). To make this
practical I would like to find a way to autosync these note files
(<1mb) from my laptop on the road to my desktop at home via the
internet via secure connection. I don't want to have to remember to
manually sync files. Does Vista offer an autosync via internet tool
for files?
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Does Vista allow automatic sync of files between two PCs via the internet?
Hi
I would start by setting it up at home through your Private Network.
Any Sync program should do. If it works well you can set it through the
Internet too.
Setting through the Internet involved just making secure connection, the
Sync. should work the same as locally.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am purchasing a new laptop and desktop with Windows Vista (current
> machines are XP).
> The desktop will be at home while my laptop will be with me when I
> frequently travel. I have a note taking program that I use in Windows
> (JOT+). When on the road, I don't always want to open my laptop
> everytime I need to check my notes and the note taking program doesnt
> have a file format that reads well on my IPAQ PDA. One idea I had was
> to use a service like gotomypc or logmein to remotely login to my home
> desktop PC from my PDA (which works reasonably well) to read content
> in these note files (as if I was sitting at my desktop). To make this
> practical I would like to find a way to autosync these note files
> (<1mb) from my laptop on the road to my desktop at home via the
> internet via secure connection. I don't want to have to remember to
> manually sync files. Does Vista offer an autosync via internet tool
> for files?

Mike Brannigan

Re: Does Vista allow automatic sync of files between two PCs via the internet?
Have at look at the new Microsoft Mesh service - it will do both of what you
want , synch and remote control.
see
https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/Welcome.aspx
--