Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2008
riccardo8875
 

Posts: n/a
Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer
Since I have my new laptop with Vista I have posted some data to my Quicken
Premium 2008 program but now when I download the data to a disk and try to
restore it to a backup computer which has Windows XP the backup does not
recognize my disk or any information on it. Went back to the Vista computer
and was able to read the disk on this machine. Do I need a special program
or download to be able to transfer my Quicken data from Vista computer to my
XP computer? Please help.
Thanks,
Riccardo8875
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer
You have to have Quicken installed on the XP computer as well.
You don't say whether Quicken Program is installed on both.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"riccardo8875" wrote:

> Since I have my new laptop with Vista I have posted some data to my Quicken
> Premium 2008 program but now when I download the data to a disk and try to
> restore it to a backup computer which has Windows XP the backup does not
> recognize my disk or any information on it. Went back to the Vista computer
> and was able to read the disk on this machine. Do I need a special program
> or download to be able to transfer my Quicken data from Vista computer to my
> XP computer? Please help.
> Thanks,
> Riccardo8875

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer
"riccardo8875" <knowslittle?@help.com> wrote in message
news:02CE0088-2000-45E5-9942-AC2A0A248793@microsoft.com...
> Since I have my new laptop with Vista I have posted some data to my
> Quicken
> Premium 2008 program but now when I download the data to a disk and try to
> restore it to a backup computer which has Windows XP the backup does not
> recognize my disk or any information on it. Went back to the Vista
> computer
> and was able to read the disk on this machine. Do I need a special
> program
> or download to be able to transfer my Quicken data from Vista computer to
> my
> XP computer? Please help.
> Thanks,
> Riccardo8875



Does your XP machine have Quicken 2008 on it, and EXACTLY how are you trying
to transfer this data?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2008
LVTravel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer
Try to export the data (File, Export, QIF file) onto a USB drive or onto a
network drive. Make sure the Quicken program is installed on the XP machine
and then in that program click File, Import, QIF file and go to the device
or location on the network you saved the exported file. This will copy all
the settings and data for the accounts on the vista computer to the XP
computer.

Hope this helps, let us know.

PS, I use Quicken 2007 Basic and have my data stored on a network attached
storage drive (backed up daily) as my server and can access the Quicken data
on any laptop or desktop in my house.


"riccardo8875" <knowslittle?@help.com> wrote in message
news:02CE0088-2000-45E5-9942-AC2A0A248793@microsoft.com...
> Since I have my new laptop with Vista I have posted some data to my
> Quicken
> Premium 2008 program but now when I download the data to a disk and try to
> restore it to a backup computer which has Windows XP the backup does not
> recognize my disk or any information on it. Went back to the Vista
> computer
> and was able to read the disk on this machine. Do I need a special
> program
> or download to be able to transfer my Quicken data from Vista computer to
> my
> XP computer? Please help.
> Thanks,
> Riccardo8875



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2008
riccardo8875
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer
Thanks for your help so far. Sorry, I did not say that I have alread
downloaded Quicken Premium 2008 on both computers and had been transferring
data between both when I had XP on both. Now that I have the new computer
with Vista, I can't seem to get the data from Vista (my main computer) to my
backup computer. The XP computer just refuses to acknowledge that I have
already inserted the data disk on to the disk drive. I have used both of my
disk drives and neither one acknowledges the information that is on the drive
as the sign asking to insert the disk will not go away. I have tried Restore
on Quicken as well as Import, as was suggested, I even tried to create a new
file and backup the information to it but to no avail. The XP computer just
refuses to recognize what I downloaded from my Vista computer. I know the
data is contained on the disk as I have put it back on the Vista computer and
can access the information from the disk drive. What could my problem be?
Is Quicken data not compatible from Vista to XP ? If so, is there a program
or some other means of transferring the data? Again, I would appreciate any
help you can give me.
Thanks,
Riccardo
"LVTravel" wrote:

> Try to export the data (File, Export, QIF file) onto a USB drive or onto a
> network drive. Make sure the Quicken program is installed on the XP machine
> and then in that program click File, Import, QIF file and go to the device
> or location on the network you saved the exported file. This will copy all
> the settings and data for the accounts on the vista computer to the XP
> computer.
>
> Hope this helps, let us know.
>
> PS, I use Quicken 2007 Basic and have my data stored on a network attached
> storage drive (backed up daily) as my server and can access the Quicken data
> on any laptop or desktop in my house.
>
>
> "riccardo8875" <knowslittle?@help.com> wrote in message
> news:02CE0088-2000-45E5-9942-AC2A0A248793@microsoft.com...
> > Since I have my new laptop with Vista I have posted some data to my
> > Quicken
> > Premium 2008 program but now when I download the data to a disk and try to
> > restore it to a backup computer which has Windows XP the backup does not
> > recognize my disk or any information on it. Went back to the Vista
> > computer
> > and was able to read the disk on this machine. Do I need a special
> > program
> > or download to be able to transfer my Quicken data from Vista computer to
> > my
> > XP computer? Please help.
> > Thanks,
> > Riccardo8875

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2008
LVTravel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer
Are you using a CD drive to transfer the data? If so, is the disk an
rewritable or read only disk? Since the data is from the "same program" the
data is totally compatible. If you are using packet writing (using the
Vista CD writer program to write to the CD) that is your issue as you are
not finalizing the disk in Vista before attempting to read it on the XP
machine. Try to finalize the disk and then see if it works.

I still recommend my method of transferring data between the two machines,
use a USB thumb drive and export/import between the machines.


"riccardo8875" <knowslittle?@help.com> wrote in message
news:6906CA6A-732D-47D9-932D-8052869CE99B@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your help so far. Sorry, I did not say that I have alread
> downloaded Quicken Premium 2008 on both computers and had been
> transferring
> data between both when I had XP on both. Now that I have the new computer
> with Vista, I can't seem to get the data from Vista (my main computer) to
> my
> backup computer. The XP computer just refuses to acknowledge that I have
> already inserted the data disk on to the disk drive. I have used both of
> my
> disk drives and neither one acknowledges the information that is on the
> drive
> as the sign asking to insert the disk will not go away. I have tried
> Restore
> on Quicken as well as Import, as was suggested, I even tried to create a
> new
> file and backup the information to it but to no avail. The XP computer
> just
> refuses to recognize what I downloaded from my Vista computer. I know the
> data is contained on the disk as I have put it back on the Vista computer
> and
> can access the information from the disk drive. What could my problem be?
> Is Quicken data not compatible from Vista to XP ? If so, is there a
> program
> or some other means of transferring the data? Again, I would appreciate
> any
> help you can give me.
> Thanks,
> Riccardo
> "LVTravel" wrote:
>
>> Try to export the data (File, Export, QIF file) onto a USB drive or onto
>> a
>> network drive. Make sure the Quicken program is installed on the XP
>> machine
>> and then in that program click File, Import, QIF file and go to the
>> device
>> or location on the network you saved the exported file. This will copy
>> all
>> the settings and data for the accounts on the vista computer to the XP
>> computer.
>>
>> Hope this helps, let us know.
>>
>> PS, I use Quicken 2007 Basic and have my data stored on a network
>> attached
>> storage drive (backed up daily) as my server and can access the Quicken
>> data
>> on any laptop or desktop in my house.
>>
>>
>> "riccardo8875" <knowslittle?@help.com> wrote in message
>> news:02CE0088-2000-45E5-9942-AC2A0A248793@microsoft.com...
>> > Since I have my new laptop with Vista I have posted some data to my
>> > Quicken
>> > Premium 2008 program but now when I download the data to a disk and try
>> > to
>> > restore it to a backup computer which has Windows XP the backup does
>> > not
>> > recognize my disk or any information on it. Went back to the Vista
>> > computer
>> > and was able to read the disk on this machine. Do I need a special
>> > program
>> > or download to be able to transfer my Quicken data from Vista computer
>> > to
>> > my
>> > XP computer? Please help.
>> > Thanks,
>> > Riccardo8875

>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2008
leotlion
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer

My vresion of quicken 2008 does not recognize the .QIF file, but seems
to be looking for a .QDF, .QDB, or .QDT file extension.

How do I convert the .QIF into one of the above files ? I am working
from a file left over from another individual from another location ( I
have no information on the version or OS they are using )

Thanks
Leon


--
leotlion
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't transfer Quicken data from Vista to XP computer
leotlion wrote:

>
> My vresion of quicken 2008 does not recognize the .QIF file, but seems
> to be looking for a .QDF, .QDB, or .QDT file extension.
>
> How do I convert the .QIF into one of the above files ? I am working
> from a file left over from another individual from another location ( I
> have no information on the version or OS they are using )


Contact Intuit tech support for this.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 936651 Wenn Sie eine Version von dem Quicken verwenden, das älter als Quicken 2007 R4 ist, kann ein Computer, auf dem Windows Vista ausgeführt wird, sich nicht erwartet verhalten KBArticles German 0 10-22-2007 21:20
Article ID: 936651 A computer that is running Windows Vista may not perform as expected when you use a version of Quicken that is earlier than Quicken 2007 R4 KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Transfer of X-P data to new Computer with Vista Neil b microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 08-23-2007 01:24
transfer data from old xp hard drive to new computer containing Vista Home Premium--Norton Ghost aaronep@pacbell.net microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 06-24-2007 01:23
Transfer MS Mail data file from one Windows Vista computer to anot =?Utf-8?B?T3V0bG9vayBCYWNrdXA=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 4 04-18-2007 18:27




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:52.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120