trouble adding a computer

KEM

trouble adding a computer
I had successfully setup a network of a desktop running Vista and two laptops
running XP. One of the laptops "died" and we replaced it with another running
Vista.
Try as I might, following all the instructions I can find, I cannot link
this new laptop. Should I just abandon the old network and start fresh?
--
Kathy
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: trouble adding a computer
We need more information to help. How do you setup your network? Can you
ping each other by I?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"KEM" <KEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had successfully setup a network of a desktop running Vista and two
>laptops
> running XP. One of the laptops "died" and we replaced it with another
> running
> Vista.
> Try as I might, following all the instructions I can find, I cannot link
> this new laptop. Should I just abandon the old network and start fresh?
> --
> Kathy

KEM

Re: trouble adding a computer
I frankly haven't any idea whether we can "ping" each other. (I don't even
know what that means.) I set it up originally following the Microsoft setup
wizard. We don't share files or printers or any such things--trying to share
a printer once before was a disaster. Access to the internet--we have a cable
modem connection to the desktop--is the key feature desired.
--
Kathy

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> We need more information to help. How do you setup your network? Can you
> ping each other by I?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "KEM" <KEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had successfully setup a network of a desktop running Vista and two
> >laptops
> > running XP. One of the laptops "died" and we replaced it with another
> > running
> > Vista.
> > Try as I might, following all the instructions I can find, I cannot link
> > this new laptop. Should I just abandon the old network and start fresh?
> > --
> > Kathy

Mick Murphy

Re: trouble adding a computer
You say you are using a modem for the Desktop.
If you have 3 computers, you normally use a Router.
Are you trying to hook up the laptops wirelessly or Wired?
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"KEM" wrote:

> I frankly haven't any idea whether we can "ping" each other. (I don't even
> know what that means.) I set it up originally following the Microsoft setup
> wizard. We don't share files or printers or any such things--trying to share
> a printer once before was a disaster. Access to the internet--we have a cable
> modem connection to the desktop--is the key feature desired.
> --
> Kathy
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > We need more information to help. How do you setup your network? Can you
> > ping each other by I?
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "KEM" <KEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I had successfully setup a network of a desktop running Vista and two
> > >laptops
> > > running XP. One of the laptops "died" and we replaced it with another
> > > running
> > > Vista.
> > > Try as I might, following all the instructions I can find, I cannot link
> > > this new laptop. Should I just abandon the old network and start fresh?
> > > --
> > > Kathy

KEM

Re: trouble adding a computer
Sorry. Yes, we do have a router. The laptops are wireless.
--
Kathy

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You say you are using a modem for the Desktop.
> If you have 3 computers, you normally use a Router.
> Are you trying to hook up the laptops wirelessly or Wired?
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "KEM" wrote:
>
> > I frankly haven't any idea whether we can "ping" each other. (I don't even
> > know what that means.) I set it up originally following the Microsoft setup
> > wizard. We don't share files or printers or any such things--trying to share
> > a printer once before was a disaster. Access to the internet--we have a cable
> > modem connection to the desktop--is the key feature desired.
> > --
> > Kathy
> >

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > We need more information to help. How do you setup your network? Can you
> > > ping each other by I?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > > http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Mick Murphy

Re: trouble adding a computer
Here is how I normally set up XP and Vista.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)