Switching Between Wireless Locations

RevMDR

Switching Between Wireless Locations
I have a home wireless network that automatically assigns the IP address and
info to my new laptop (Vista). At work, I'm required to manually enter the
IP address and subsequent info to get WiFi.

Is there a way in Vista to set up two different "profiles" or "locations"
that I can easily toggle between to change my IP settings, so I don't have to
go into the Network Connections and change them every time I switch between
the two places?

If Vista cannot do this, is there a program I can purchase/download that
will do it for me?

Thanks!
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Switching Between Wireless Locations
I haven't tested it on the wireless, but I do know it work on the wired.
This how to may help,
ipconfig
How to setup multiple IPs on NIC How to setup two IPs on a computer
How to use MS DHCP to reserve an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without
installing a NIC ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"RevMDR" <RevMDR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home wireless network that automatically assigns the IP address
>and
> info to my new laptop (Vista). At work, I'm required to manually enter
> the
> IP address and subsequent info to get WiFi.
>
> Is there a way in Vista to set up two different "profiles" or "locations"
> that I can easily toggle between to change my IP settings, so I don't have
> go into the Network Connections and change them every time I switch
> between
> the two places?
>
> If Vista cannot do this, is there a program I can purchase/download that
> will do it for me?
>
> Thanks!

RevMDR

Re: Switching Between Wireless Locations
Thank you Robert. The URL you gave led me to the following:

How to setup two IPs on a computer

Q: I have a laptop at the office and home. How can I configure TCP/IP for
the office and home.

A: You may have two options. 1) if one of networks uses DHCP and another one
use static IP, you can select Alternative Configuration under the Properties
of TCP/IP to add another static IP. Note: You can have only one static IP.
The computer will try to get an address from a DHCP server first. If it
fails, it will use the static IP. 2) Or run netsh.exe (from w2k Resource
kits) if both networks use static IPs.

Thanks again!!!
Matt

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I haven't tested it on the wireless, but I do know it work on the wired.
> This how to may help,
> ipconfig
> How to setup multiple IPs on NIC How to setup two IPs on a computer
> How to use MS DHCP to reserve an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without
> installing a NIC ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "RevMDR" <RevMDR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a home wireless network that automatically assigns the IP address
> >and
> > info to my new laptop (Vista). At work, I'm required to manually enter
> > the
> > IP address and subsequent info to get WiFi.
> >
> > Is there a way in Vista to set up two different "profiles" or "locations"
> > that I can easily toggle between to change my IP settings, so I don't have
> > go into the Network Connections and change them every time I switch
> > between
> > the two places?
> >
> > If Vista cannot do this, is there a program I can purchase/download that
> > will do it for me?
> >
> > Thanks!

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Switching Between Wireless Locations
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:18:01 -0700, RevMDR <RevMDR@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a home wireless network that automatically assigns the IP address and
>info to my new laptop (Vista). At work, I'm required to manually enter the
>IP address and subsequent info to get WiFi.
>
>Is there a way in Vista to set up two different "profiles" or "locations"
>that I can easily toggle between to change my IP settings, so I don't have to
>go into the Network Connections and change them every time I switch between
>the two places?
>
>If Vista cannot do this, is there a program I can purchase/download that
>will do it for me?
>
>Thanks!

You can predefine an IP setting for a network that has no DHCP server.
Normally, this would be "169.254.n.n", but you can make it whatever suits your
needs.
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/have-laptop-will-travel.html#IP>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...travel.html#IP

--
Cheers,
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Switching Between Wireless Locations
Netswitcher is a commercial product that will do this...

http://www.netswitcher.com

....or the built-in alternate network settings. This is written for XP but
its similar for Vista...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283676/en-us

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"RevMDR" <RevMDR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home wireless network that automatically assigns the IP address
>and
> info to my new laptop (Vista). At work, I'm required to manually enter
> the
> IP address and subsequent info to get WiFi.
>
> Is there a way in Vista to set up two different "profiles" or "locations"
> that I can easily toggle between to change my IP settings, so I don't have
> go into the Network Connections and change them every time I switch
> between
> the two places?
>
> If Vista cannot do this, is there a program I can purchase/download that
> will do it for me?
>
> Thanks!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Switching Between Wireless Locations
Thank you for the feedback.