Router does not show as part of network

carl43m

Router does not show as part of network
I have had a new vista desktop for about 6 weeks. It is hooked directly
into a Linksys router which in turn hooked to my DSL modem. I also have a
laptop on the network connected wirelessly. For the first few weeks,
whenever I clicl on network I see three icons--one for the desktop, one for
the laptop and one for the router. Acouple of weeks ago I noticed that now
there is only an icon for the desktop and for the laptop. I have rebooted
several times and then run the network utility but the router ceases to show
up. The router works as both pc's have internet access and both pc's share
files ok. Anyone know what might be the issue? Thanks.
Carl
Steve Winograd

Re: Router does not show as part of network
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:31:10 -0700, carl43m
<carl43m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have had a new vista desktop for about 6 weeks. It is hooked directly
>into a Linksys router which in turn hooked to my DSL modem. I also have a
>laptop on the network connected wirelessly. For the first few weeks,
>whenever I clicl on network I see three icons--one for the desktop, one for
>the laptop and one for the router. Acouple of weeks ago I noticed that now
>there is only an icon for the desktop and for the laptop. I have rebooted
>several times and then run the network utility but the router ceases to show
>up. The router works as both pc's have internet access and both pc's share
>files ok. Anyone know what might be the issue? Thanks.
>Carl

Make sure that:

1. Your router's UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) capability is enabled.

2. Your computer's Network Discovery capability is enabled in Control
Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
carl43m

Re: Router does not show as part of network
Both items you mentioned are enabled. I can see my laptop on the network
from the desktop and vice versa. Another interesting point is this--When I
first got my new desktop I had my old desktop plugged into the router and
then I added the new desktop to the router as well as the laptop being
connected wirelessly. I could see all three pc's in the network and share
files among them. Once I got the new pc working and files from old desktop
transferred ( I didn't ttransfer any settings), I then unhooked the old
desktop. Rather than leaving the new desktop plugged into its original slot
on the router--after I physically moved it to where the old desktop had been,
I plugged the new pc into the slot where the old desktop had been. The new
pc did not show the laptop as being on the network, even after rebotting.
However, once I plugged the new pc back into its old slot , then the network
showed both the desktop and laptop as being on the network, but no longer
showed the router.

I am under the impression that the desktop could be plugged into any of the
router spots and work and that the network should show all items. Am I
mistaken?

"Steve Winograd" wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:31:10 -0700, carl43m
> <carl43m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have had a new vista desktop for about 6 weeks. It is hooked directly
> >into a Linksys router which in turn hooked to my DSL modem. I also have a
> >laptop on the network connected wirelessly. For the first few weeks,
> >whenever I clicl on network I see three icons--one for the desktop, one for
> >the laptop and one for the router. Acouple of weeks ago I noticed that now
> >there is only an icon for the desktop and for the laptop. I have rebooted
> >several times and then run the network utility but the router ceases to show
> >up. The router works as both pc's have internet access and both pc's share
> >files ok. Anyone know what might be the issue? Thanks.
> >Carl

> Make sure that:
>
> 1. Your router's UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) capability is enabled.
>
> 2. Your computer's Network Discovery capability is enabled in Control
> Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd

Re: Router does not show as part of network
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:49:01 -0700, carl43m
<carl43m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Both items you mentioned are enabled. I can see my laptop on the network
>from the desktop and vice versa. Another interesting point is this--When I
>first got my new desktop I had my old desktop plugged into the router and
>then I added the new desktop to the router as well as the laptop being
>connected wirelessly. I could see all three pc's in the network and share
>files among them. Once I got the new pc working and files from old desktop
>transferred ( I didn't ttransfer any settings), I then unhooked the old
>desktop. Rather than leaving the new desktop plugged into its original slot
>on the router--after I physically moved it to where the old desktop had been,
>I plugged the new pc into the slot where the old desktop had been. The new
>pc did not show the laptop as being on the network, even after rebotting.
>However, once I plugged the new pc back into its old slot , then the network
>showed both the desktop and laptop as being on the network, but no longer
>showed the router.
>
>I am under the impression that the desktop could be plugged into any of the
>router spots and work and that the network should show all items. Am I
>mistaken?

Yes, the desktop can be plugged into any router spot. Yes, the
network should show all items.

However, it's been my experience that the list of networked computers
in Windows Vista (and earlier Windows versions) is often incomplete.
You can spend a lot of time troubleshooting it, but I don't think it's
worth the effort.

To access another computer directly, type the other computer's name in
the Start Search box in this format, then press Enter:

\\computer

You can also create a desktop shortcut to another computer, specifying
the computer's name, as above, as the location of the item.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
carl43m

Re: Router does not show as part of network
I agree with you. I can see the laptop and we can share files , so I guess I
should just be happy about that. I just kept thinking that something must
not be right because a few weeks ago the network would show the router I was
hooked into and now it doesn't -but I can live with that. Thanks again for
the recommendations.

"Steve Winograd" wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:49:01 -0700, carl43m
> <carl43m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Both items you mentioned are enabled. I can see my laptop on the network
> >from the desktop and vice versa. Another interesting point is this--When I
> >first got my new desktop I had my old desktop plugged into the router and
> >then I added the new desktop to the router as well as the laptop being
> >connected wirelessly. I could see all three pc's in the network and share
> >files among them. Once I got the new pc working and files from old desktop
> >transferred ( I didn't ttransfer any settings), I then unhooked the old
> >desktop. Rather than leaving the new desktop plugged into its original slot
> >on the router--after I physically moved it to where the old desktop had been,
> >I plugged the new pc into the slot where the old desktop had been. The new
> >pc did not show the laptop as being on the network, even after rebotting.
> >However, once I plugged the new pc back into its old slot , then the network
> >showed both the desktop and laptop as being on the network, but no longer
> >showed the router.
> >
> >I am under the impression that the desktop could be plugged into any of the
> >router spots and work and that the network should show all items. Am I
> >mistaken?

> Yes, the desktop can be plugged into any router spot. Yes, the
> network should show all items.
>
> However, it's been my experience that the list of networked computers
> in Windows Vista (and earlier Windows versions) is often incomplete.
> You can spend a lot of time troubleshooting it, but I don't think it's
> worth the effort.
>
> To access another computer directly, type the other computer's name in
> the Start Search box in this format, then press Enter:
>
> \\computer
>
> You can also create a desktop shortcut to another computer, specifying
> the computer's name, as above, as the location of the item.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Michael Walraven

Re: Router does not show as part of network
Sorry about stepping into this thread, perhaps my comments have already been
made.

If you want to see the router in 'network' window you must turn on UPnP in
both the router and in Vista.
(see UPnP in help) In Vista this is now called Network Discovery (Network
and sharing center). In your router you will have to dig around and find the
UPnP setting. Also firewalls can block network discovery, Vista SHOULD
automatically enable network discovery thru the firewall if it is Vista
compatible.

Sometimes I find turning an option off and then back on helps, even if it
was ON to begin with.

Michael