connection to net away from home

shadow55

connection to net away from home
I used to be able to use my laptop to connect to shared networks away from
home. I accidently changed a setting or something, but now the laptop won't
connect if the mode is in "computer on the move" etc. It will always connect
at home to our own, but not away from home. How do I find where to change the
settings for computer on the move, stand alone computer, things like that?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: connection to net away from home
We need more information to help. How do you "connect to shared networks
away from home"? RDC or VPN?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"shadow55" <shadow55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to be able to use my laptop to connect to shared networks away from
> home. I accidently changed a setting or something, but now the laptop
> won't
> connect if the mode is in "computer on the move" etc. It will always
> connect
> at home to our own, but not away from home. How do I find where to change
> the
> settings for computer on the move, stand alone computer, things like that?

shadow55

Re: connection to net away from home
i mean like, I could go to a hospital, where they allowed people to bring
their laptops and connect to their internet. I used to be able to connect
there. But now I can't. I don't know if you call them shared networks or not.
But thats how I referred to them anyway. Anyway, now, when I go there, my
laptop won't connect. My vista has what you call "computer on the move"
settings, "stand alone" settings, and connect to local area network settings.
The only thing I can connect to is the one at home. Does this help any?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> We need more information to help. How do you "connect to shared networks
> away from home"? RDC or VPN?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "shadow55" <shadow55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I used to be able to use my laptop to connect to shared networks away from
> > home. I accidently changed a setting or something, but now the laptop
> > won't
> > connect if the mode is in "computer on the move" etc. It will always
> > connect
> > at home to our own, but not away from home. How do I find where to change
> > the
> > settings for computer on the move, stand alone computer, things like that?

Mick Murphy

Re: connection to net away from home
Hospitals, airports, coffee shops, etc, are called "public networks"
Home network is "private"
Have a look in Start>Network>Network and Sharing to see what you have done.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia