Mapped Network Drive versus Folder Shortcut

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Mapped Network Drive versus Folder Shortcut
Hi
I do not know what exactly you mean by short cut.
Mapping advantage is that once done the Network drive cam be used like any
other drive when saving, opening copying etc. with No special application or
and any other means.
As an example if you are using Word and choose to open a file you can open
file from the Network drive, Short can not be chosen an open source in Word
(or any other application).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please discuss the differences/advatages/disadvantages in refering to a
> shared network hard drive folder by mapping it (the folder) as a drive as
> opposed to simply accessing it useing a shortcut. I have a network hard
> drive
> with a folder that I can refer to either way- mapped network drive or a
> shortcut. Which of these methods should I use?
> --
> Elliot

Elliot

Re: Mapped Network Drive versus Folder Shortcut
By short cut I mean a MS Windows shortcut, ie. a *.lnk file that refers to
the location of another file or folder.

By putting such a shortcut in "My Computer" it seems as if the functionality
is equivalent- I can see both the mapped network drive share folder and the
same folder using the shortcut. Which is "better"?

Thanks,

Elliot