Vista Sharing with older versions of Windows

stevef

Vista Sharing with older versions of Windows
I have a peer-to-peer network that has 1 Vista Home Premium, 1 XP
Professional, and one Windows Me machine. I know that Windows Me is no
longer supported by Microsoft, but I MUST have a machine that run a
particular piece of DOS software, and it only runs fully on Windows 9x.
(NT-based O/Ses don't understand its MIDI device calls.) Vista doesn't run
it natively at all. (No full-screen DOS sessions.) This software is crucial
the everyday running of my business. (A windows version has been promised
since 1994, but it hasn't appeared yet.)

I would like to upgrade the XP machine to Vista, but I can't get the Me
machine to see the Vista machine that's already there. I use XP to serve
files to the Me machine so having communication both ways is absolutely
necessary.

The Vista machine will read the Me machine, but when I try to get the Me
machine to see the Vista machine, I get asked for a password, and no matter
what I try, the connection is refused. The Vista machine has the password
protected sharing turned OFF, so it shouldn't be asking for a password anyway.

I have no problems reading the Vista machine from the XP one.

I need to sort this out or I can't upgrade.

Any ideas?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Sharing with older versions of Windows
Have you tried to create the same username and password on the both ME and
Vista? Or this search result may help.
Vista common issue - can see but ...
Apr 9, 2008 ... Vista Permission IssuesVista common issue - can see
but access ... So, the common issues sharing are 1) you may be able to see
it but access ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=450

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"stevef" <stevef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news5064D13-BE4E-40D4-B138-6A0695C25374@microsoft.com...
>I have a peer-to-peer network that has 1 Vista Home Premium, 1 XP
> Professional, and one Windows Me machine. I know that Windows Me is no
> longer supported by Microsoft, but I MUST have a machine that run a
> particular piece of DOS software, and it only runs fully on Windows 9x.
> (NT-based O/Ses don't understand its MIDI device calls.) Vista doesn't
> run
> it natively at all. (No full-screen DOS sessions.) This software is
> crucial
> the everyday running of my business. (A windows version has been promised
> since 1994, but it hasn't appeared yet.)
>
> I would like to upgrade the XP machine to Vista, but I can't get the Me
> machine to see the Vista machine that's already there. I use XP to serve
> files to the Me machine so having communication both ways is absolutely
> necessary.
>
> The Vista machine will read the Me machine, but when I try to get the Me
> machine to see the Vista machine, I get asked for a password, and no
> matter
> what I try, the connection is refused. The Vista machine has the password
> protected sharing turned OFF, so it shouldn't be asking for a password
> anyway.
>
> I have no problems reading the Vista machine from the XP one.
>
> I need to sort this out or I can't upgrade.
>
> Any ideas?

sferre

Re: Vista Sharing with older versions of Windows
All three already have the same user name and passwords.