Can't open Network and Sharing Center

mjMQ

Can't open Network and Sharing Center
For as long as I've had my new pc with 32-bit Vista I've had problems with
the Network and Sharing Center. The problem never bothered me enough to
really do too much about it but now, after a year of it I'm fed up and trying
to fix it.

So the problem is that I cannot open up the Network and Sharing Center
properly. I click it, it takes about 5 minutes for the folder that pops up
to be filled with any form of information, and then when the thing finally
loads, not a single item inside the folder window is click-able. Under
"Sharing and Discovery" there are the options for "Network Discovery," "File
Sharing," etc. I can't click the drop-down arrows for any of those options
nor can I click any of the options on the side of the window. I can't even
close the window without going into Task Manager and sometimes that doesn't
even work so I have to reboot the computer.

Any advice, information about what I should do would be greatly appreciated.
blad3runn69

RE: Can't open Network and Sharing Center
network code in vista is excellent, as far as network P&P goes... specify
your hardware in particular network setup, could be a lotta things...
Malke

mjMQ wrote:

> For as long as I've had my new pc with 32-bit Vista I've had problems with
> the Network and Sharing Center. The problem never bothered me enough to
> really do too much about it but now, after a year of it I'm fed up and
> trying to fix it.
>
> So the problem is that I cannot open up the Network and Sharing Center
> properly. I click it, it takes about 5 minutes for the folder that pops
> up to be filled with any form of information, and then when the thing
> finally
> loads, not a single item inside the folder window is click-able. Under
> "Sharing and Discovery" there are the options for "Network Discovery,"
> "File
> Sharing," etc. I can't click the drop-down arrows for any of those
> options
> nor can I click any of the options on the side of the window. I can't
> even close the window without going into Task Manager and sometimes that
> doesn't even work so I have to reboot the computer.
>
> Any advice, information about what I should do would be greatly
> appreciated.

Try this:

1. Go into Safe Mode With Command Prompt (repeatedly tap F8 as the computer
is starting up, then use the arrow key to select the right option)

2. At the command prompt type:

net localgroup "Administrators" "local Service" /add [enter]

See "The command completed successfully". Type:

exit [enter] and allow Vista to start normally.

If that doesn't help, provide more information - particularly the answer to
the First Question of Troubleshooting: assuming this issue has not always
existed, what changed between the time things worked and the time they
didn't?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
DKqwerty

Malke;751706 Wrote:
> Try this:
>
> 1. Go into Safe Mode With Command Prompt (repeatedly tap F8 as the
> computer
> is starting up, then use the arrow key to select the right option)
>
> 2. At the command prompt type:
>
> net localgroup "Administrators" "local Service" /add [enter]
>
> See "The command completed successfully". Type:
>
> exit [enter] and allow Vista to start normally.
>
> If that doesn't help, provide more information - particularly the
> answer to
> the First Question of Troubleshooting: assuming this issue has not
> always
> existed, what changed between the time things worked and the time they
> didn't?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> 'www.elephantboycomputers.com' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com)
> Don't Panic!

THANK YOU, ::THANK YOU,:: THANK YOU!!!

My Mom's recently purchased laptop was exhibiting these symptoms,
throwing a "server execution failed" error every time. I was about to
call HP about it (an impossibly frustrating, incoherent, time-consuming,
and often consumer-blaming process when dealing with HP as most of us
know) when I though I'd check here first. This fixed it immediately.
Thank you so much for saving me time and frustration.

--
DKqwerty
Malke

DKqwerty wrote:

> Malke;751706 Wrote:
>> Try this:
>>
>> 1. Go into Safe Mode With Command Prompt (repeatedly tap F8 as the
>> computer
>> is starting up, then use the arrow key to select the right option)
>>
>> 2. At the command prompt type:
>>
>> net localgroup "Administrators" "local Service" /add [enter]
>>
>> See "The command completed successfully". Type:
>>
>> exit [enter] and allow Vista to start normally.
>>
>> If that doesn't help, provide more information - particularly the
>> answer to
>> the First Question of Troubleshooting: assuming this issue has not
>> always
>> existed, what changed between the time things worked and the time they
>> didn't?

> THANK YOU, ::THANK YOU,:: THANK YOU!!!
>
> My Mom's recently purchased laptop was exhibiting these symptoms,
> throwing a "server execution failed" error every time. I was about to
> call HP about it (an impossibly frustrating, incoherent, time-consuming,
> and often consumer-blaming process when dealing with HP as most of us
> know) when I though I'd check here first. This fixed it immediately.
> Thank you so much for saving me time and frustration.

You're very welcome. I have no recollection of the original problem of this
thread, but if something you found there helped you I'm very happy that it
did.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

sauronjag1

Re: Can't open Network and Sharing Center

this explanation worked perfectly. i was having hte same issue, and it
was corrected by that fix.

not only did it fix that, but i was also having an issue where the
network icon on my taskbar was showing as ALWAYS offline or
disconnected, despite having internet and network. it now appropriately
shows me as connected or disconnected.

--
sauronjag1
rgh001

Re: Can't open Network and Sharing Center

I have the same issues of not being able to open network and sharing
center and icon always showing no connection even when it does connect.
I tried the route above and nothing happened. Any more suggestions?
thanks

--
rgh001