Vista fails to get IP from router

churin

Vista fails to get IP from router
I just installed Vista x64 and found it failed to connect to my home
network. Diagnostic indicates the Vista is failing to get IP from the
router. This did not happen when I installed Vista x86 or XP x86, x64.
Other machine running these OSes have no connection problem.
What could be wrong with the Vista x64?
Kerry Brown

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
It could be the driver for the network card. The drivers for each OS you
list are different.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>I just installed Vista x64 and found it failed to connect to my home
>network. Diagnostic indicates the Vista is failing to get IP from the
>router. This did not happen when I installed Vista x86 or XP x86, x64.
>Other machine running these OSes have no connection problem.
> What could be wrong with the Vista x64?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
Hi
First look at the OS Device Manger and make sure that you have a valid error
free installation of a Network card.
Then (for diagnostic purposes) try a static IP that is out of the Router's
DHCP range.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>I just installed Vista x64 and found it failed to connect to my home
>network. Diagnostic indicates the Vista is failing to get IP from the
>router. This did not happen when I installed Vista x86 or XP x86, x64.
>Other machine running these OSes have no connection problem.
> What could be wrong with the Vista x64?

churin

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
Kerry & Jack:

The network card appears OK as shown on the Device Manager.
I tried a static IP but the Diagnostic is still pointing to the router
being the cause of this problem. I have three other machines which have
static IPs and one laptop which uses router assigned IP. So, the router
is working static or automatically assigned IP.

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> First look at the OS Device Manger and make sure that you have a valid
> error free installation of a Network card.
> Then (for diagnostic purposes) try a static IP that is out of the
> Router's DHCP range.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>> I just installed Vista x64 and found it failed to connect to my home
>> network. Diagnostic indicates the Vista is failing to get IP from the
>> router. This did not happen when I installed Vista x86 or XP x86, x64.
>> Other machine running these OSes have no connection problem.
>> What could be wrong with the Vista x64?

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
I'd make sure you have the latest driver for your NIC then try the following
with a static IP.

http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/001035.html

--

> Kerry & Jack:
>
> The network card appears OK as shown on the Device Manager.
> I tried a static IP but the Diagnostic is still pointing to the router
> being the cause of this problem. I have three other machines which have
> static IPs and one laptop which uses router assigned IP. So, the router is
> working static or automatically assigned IP.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>> Hi
>> First look at the OS Device Manger and make sure that you have a valid
>> error free installation of a Network card.
>> Then (for diagnostic purposes) try a static IP that is out of the
>> Router's DHCP range.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>>> I just installed Vista x64 and found it failed to connect to my home
>>> network. Diagnostic indicates the Vista is failing to get IP from the
>>> router. This did not happen when I installed Vista x86 or XP x86, x64.
>>> Other machine running these OSes have no connection problem.
>>> What could be wrong with the Vista x64?

churin

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
I downloaded and tried the latest driver but to no avail.
I visited the linked website but could not find any relevant info. I
wonder if it is the correct link.

Kerry Brown wrote:
> I'd make sure you have the latest driver for your NIC then try the
> following with a static IP.
>
> http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/001035.html

Spike9458

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
Hi there,

Not to overlook the obvious, but are you sure is your wireless adapter
on?
When you right-click the wireless icon in the system tray, select
'connect to a network' ... is anything listed?
Does the Network Sharing Center show you anything of value? I should
show you 3 icons; your computer, the WAP, and the internet, with a
fine double-green line between if connected, a red X if not.
Have you tried to ping the routers IP address?
Does it work if you use DHCP instead of static IP?
Does running the command IPCONFIG /ALL (start/run/cmd, then c:
\ipconfig /all) tell you anything under the Wireless LAN adapter
Wireless Network Connection? It should show the IPv4 address (most
default to 192.168.1.1 for home wireless, unless you changed it). If
that appears, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.

--Jim

On Jun 19, 11:15*am, churin <chu...@new.postalias> wrote:
> I downloaded and tried the latest driver but to no avail.
> I visited the linked website but could not find any relevant info. I
> wonder if it is the correct link.
>

> Kerry Brown wrote:
> > I'd make sure you have the latest driver for your NIC then try the
> > following with a static IP.

> >http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/001035.html- Hide quoted text -

churin

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
Hi,

The PC is a desktop type and has no wireless adapter.
The Network Sharing Center shows This Computer - Unidentified Network -
Internet. There are ! mark between This Computer and Unidentified
Netword and X mark between Unidentified Network and Internet.
Ping to the router gateway address does not go through(100% packet loss).
Neither DHCP nor static IP works.
With static IP turned off, ipconfig /all returns assigned IP of
169.254.21.137.

Spike9458 wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Not to overlook the obvious, but are you sure is your wireless adapter
> on?
> When you right-click the wireless icon in the system tray, select
> 'connect to a network' ... is anything listed?
> Does the Network Sharing Center show you anything of value? I should
> show you 3 icons; your computer, the WAP, and the internet, with a
> fine double-green line between if connected, a red X if not.
> Have you tried to ping the routers IP address?
> Does it work if you use DHCP instead of static IP?
> Does running the command IPCONFIG /ALL (start/run/cmd, then c:
> \ipconfig /all) tell you anything under the Wireless LAN adapter
> Wireless Network Connection? It should show the IPv4 address (most
> default to 192.168.1.1 for home wireless, unless you changed it). If
> that appears, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.
>
> --Jim
>
> On Jun 19, 11:15 am, churin <chu...@new.postalias> wrote:
>> I downloaded and tried the latest driver but to no avail.
>> I visited the linked website but could not find any relevant info. I
>> wonder if it is the correct link.
>>

>> Kerry Brown wrote:
>>> I'd make sure you have the latest driver for your NIC then try the
>>> following with a static IP.
>>> http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/001035.html- Hide quoted text -

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
Yes, it's the right link. Follow the instructions to start an elevated
command prompt then type in those commands. They will disable some of the
advanced networking features in Vista. These advanced features are not
compatible with some NICs, switches, routers, etc. It's a troubleshooting
step to eliminate this being the source of the problem.

--

>I downloaded and tried the latest driver but to no avail.
> I visited the linked website but could not find any relevant info. I
> wonder if it is the correct link.
>
> Kerry Brown wrote:
>> I'd make sure you have the latest driver for your NIC then try the
>> following with a static IP.
>>
>> http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/001035.html

Spike9458

Re: Vista fails to get IP from router
Okay,

Have you checked with router mfr website for updated firmware? Make
sure your computer static IP address is unique from the other 3
computers. If you assign a static IP outside the range of reserved
DHCP addresses, you'll minimize the risk of duplicate IPs

Some troubleshooting thoughts.

If you do have 3 other computers that are working on this router and
the one that does not, the problem is probably one of the following:

1. NIC on your PC
2. Network Cable between your computer and the router. (Does the light
that corresponds to the router port you are using light up when
plugged in?)
3. Bad port on the router.
4. Firewall
5. Your router is not compatible with Vista 64 (not likely)

First, does the link light on the network adapter on your PC light
up?
If not,
First plug the cable into one of the ports on the router that you
know works.
Then, click start/run/cmd <enter> (run as administrator)
then run these 2 commands: IPCONFIG /RELEASE, THEN IPCONFIG /
RENEW
If that works, you found the problem - bad port on the
router.
If not,
Run a different cable that you know works from your computer to
the router.
If that works, you found the problem - bad cable.

Anytime you make a port change or cable change, run the 2 ipconfig
commands above just to be starting with a fresh lease.

Look at the exceptions tab in the Windows Firewall and be sure the
routing and remote access is checked. Look at the other items and see
if any others might need to be checked.

Sorry I'm scattered, hectic morning,

--Jim