Remote Desktop from Linux console

Uncle Sam

Remote Desktop from Linux console
I have a Vista host (V) running on a computer inside a firewalled
network. I am outside the firewall and so cannot access the computer
directly. However, I have access to a Linux host (L) which can access
'V'. Now I have an RDP server running on 'V' which accepts any RDP
connection without a prompt. But an X server is not running on 'L' so
that I cannot open an 'rdesktop' window. Is there a way to access 'V'
from 'L' purely through the command line using the RDP server running
on 'V'?

P.S.: Sorry for the abbreviations. But it got a bit confusing without
them due all the 'host's.
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console
Do you have a VPN or SSH server running on anything, ie on L for example,
inside the firewall that you can connect to from the public internet? If so
you could run the normal Remote Desktop [RDC] client software on a Windows
client or rdesktop on a LINUX client and connect to V after establishing the
VPN or SSH tunnel. No matter how you want to connect to V from the outside
you need a hole in your firewall that you can get through.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...-HomeUser.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Uncle Sam" <sameervijaykar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vista host (V) running on a computer inside a firewalled
> network. I am outside the firewall and so cannot access the computer
> directly. However, I have access to a Linux host (L) which can access
> 'V'. Now I have an RDP server running on 'V' which accepts any RDP
> connection without a prompt. But an X server is not running on 'L' so
> that I cannot open an 'rdesktop' window. Is there a way to access 'V'
> from 'L' purely through the command line using the RDP server running
> on 'V'?
>
> P.S.: Sorry for the abbreviations. But it got a bit confusing without
> them due all the 'host's.

Uncle Sam

Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console
Perhaps this diagram will make my situation more clear:
http://sameervijaykar.googlepages.com/firewall.jpg
All the hosts inside the firewall can be accessed only through the
host L. Now since L is not running an X server, I cannot start an RDP
session to V from L. I created an ssh connection from L to L2 which
does run an X server but even there I could not start an RDP session,
probably because L is not tunneling the X11 connection. So is there a
way I can start a console RDP connection (either from L or L2) to V?

A different but related question is as follows: I have shared some
folders from V. I tried to access these shares from L using
'smbclient' but I got the following error: "session setup failed:
SUCCESS - 0". Any clues? Perhaps I should post this as a separate
query.
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console
Well, if your running a SSH server on L you can connect to V using RDC
through the SSH tunnel. I do, or did, that all the time when I ran a SSH
server on either a PC inside my router or on the router itself, ie. DD-WRT
running on the router. Do you have a SSH server running on L? There are
loads of examples of port forwarding RDC through a SSH tunnel. Here are two
I have used with either the Tunnelier or PuTTY SSH clients, both Windows
programs. In my case I used the regular Windows RDC client to connect
through the tunnel to multiple PCs.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...Tunnelier.html

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...esktopSSH.html

Is your remote client a LINUX box?

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...c=IE-SearchBox

I haven't used a LINUX box since I retired almost six years ago so I can't
answer your samba question. You might start a new thread about that or
hopefully someone else can chime in to help...

--

> Perhaps this diagram will make my situation more clear:
> http://sameervijaykar.googlepages.com/firewall.jpg
> All the hosts inside the firewall can be accessed only through the
> host L. Now since L is not running an X server, I cannot start an RDP
> session to V from L. I created an ssh connection from L to L2 which
> does run an X server but even there I could not start an RDP session,
> probably because L is not tunneling the X11 connection. So is there a
> way I can start a console RDP connection (either from L or L2) to V?
>
> A different but related question is as follows: I have shared some
> folders from V. I tried to access these shares from L using
> 'smbclient' but I got the following error: "session setup failed:
> SUCCESS - 0". Any clues? Perhaps I should post this as a separate
> query.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console
Here is an example of forwarding an X session through a SSH tunnel.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...HOWTO/ssh.html

Again dependent on being able to connect to a SSH server on your network
from the outside world.

--

> Well, if your running a SSH server on L you can connect to V using RDC
> through the SSH tunnel. I do, or did, that all the time when I ran a SSH
> server on either a PC inside my router or on the router itself, ie. DD-WRT
> running on the router. Do you have a SSH server running on L? There are
> loads of examples of port forwarding RDC through a SSH tunnel. Here are
> two I have used with either the Tunnelier or PuTTY SSH clients, both
> Windows programs. In my case I used the regular Windows RDC client to
> connect through the tunnel to multiple PCs.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...Tunnelier.html
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...esktopSSH.html
>
> Is your remote client a LINUX box?
>
> http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...c=IE-SearchBox
>
> I haven't used a LINUX box since I retired almost six years ago so I can't
> answer your samba question. You might start a new thread about that or
> hopefully someone else can chime in to help...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "Uncle Sam" <sameervijaykar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Perhaps this diagram will make my situation more clear:
>> http://sameervijaykar.googlepages.com/firewall.jpg
>> All the hosts inside the firewall can be accessed only through the
>> host L. Now since L is not running an X server, I cannot start an RDP
>> session to V from L. I created an ssh connection from L to L2 which
>> does run an X server but even there I could not start an RDP session,
>> probably because L is not tunneling the X11 connection. So is there a
>> way I can start a console RDP connection (either from L or L2) to V?
>>
>> A different but related question is as follows: I have shared some
>> folders from V. I tried to access these shares from L using
>> 'smbclient' but I got the following error: "session setup failed:
>> SUCCESS - 0". Any clues? Perhaps I should post this as a separate
>> query.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console
Lastly I forgot to point you to the ssh man page, which I am sure you know
about, if your running LINUX on the remote machine. Check the "X11
FORWARDING" section a little over halfway through the document...

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh

Good luck...

--

> Here is an example of forwarding an X session through a SSH tunnel.
>
> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...HOWTO/ssh.html
>
> Again dependent on being able to connect to a SSH server on your network
> from the outside world.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Well, if your running a SSH server on L you can connect to V using RDC
>> through the SSH tunnel. I do, or did, that all the time when I ran a SSH
>> server on either a PC inside my router or on the router itself, ie.
>> DD-WRT running on the router. Do you have a SSH server running on L?
>> There are loads of examples of port forwarding RDC through a SSH tunnel.
>> Here are two I have used with either the Tunnelier or PuTTY SSH clients,
>> both Windows programs. In my case I used the regular Windows RDC client
>> to connect through the tunnel to multiple PCs.
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...Tunnelier.html
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...esktopSSH.html
>>
>> Is your remote client a LINUX box?
>>
>> http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...c=IE-SearchBox
>>
>> I haven't used a LINUX box since I retired almost six years ago so I
>> can't answer your samba question. You might start a new thread about that
>> or hopefully someone else can chime in to help...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>
>> "Uncle Sam" <sameervijaykar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Perhaps this diagram will make my situation more clear:
>>> http://sameervijaykar.googlepages.com/firewall.jpg
>>> All the hosts inside the firewall can be accessed only through the
>>> host L. Now since L is not running an X server, I cannot start an RDP
>>> session to V from L. I created an ssh connection from L to L2 which
>>> does run an X server but even there I could not start an RDP session,
>>> probably because L is not tunneling the X11 connection. So is there a
>>> way I can start a console RDP connection (either from L or L2) to V?
>>>
>>> A different but related question is as follows: I have shared some
>>> folders from V. I tried to access these shares from L using
>>> 'smbclient' but I got the following error: "session setup failed:
>>> SUCCESS - 0". Any clues? Perhaps I should post this as a separate
>>> query.

Uncle Sam

Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console
Thank you very much Mr. Jarvi. The method suggested at the following
link works wonders.

> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...esktopSSH.html

I can remote desktop to the host V quite effectively.
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console
Excellent...

Thanks for the feedback...