Is the LLTD responder required on XP SP3

Bill

Is the LLTD responder required on XP SP3
Must I install the LLTD responder on XP SP3 machines to allow a Vista
machine to see the XP machines on the network?

--
..Bill.
Steve Winograd

Re: Is the LLTD responder required on XP SP3
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:46:04 -0700, "Bill" <no@no.com> wrote:

>Must I install the LLTD responder on XP SP3 machines to allow a Vista
>machine to see the XP machines on the network?

The LLTD Responder isn't required on any version of XP. Vista and XP
can see each other and share files without it.

The only purpose of the LLTD Responder is to allow an XP computer to
appear in Vista's "Network Map".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Gordon

"Steve Winograd" <bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:46:04 -0700, "Bill" <no@no.com> wrote:
>
>>Must I install the LLTD responder on XP SP3 machines to allow a Vista
>>machine to see the XP machines on the network?

> The LLTD Responder isn't required on any version of XP. Vista and XP
> can see each other and share files without it.
>
> The only purpose of the LLTD Responder is to allow an XP computer to
> appear in Vista's "Network Map".

AFAIK LLTD is included in SP3 anyway - trying to find a "kosher"
reference....

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Is the LLTD responder required on XP SP3
Hi
The LLTD responder can make Networking life a little easier but it should
work without it too.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bill" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Must I install the LLTD responder on XP SP3 machines to allow a Vista
> machine to see the XP machines on the network?
>
> --
> .Bill.

Hans-Georg Michna

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:13:28 +0100, Gordon wrote:

>AFAIK LLTD is included in SP3 anyway - trying to find a "kosher"
>reference....

At least the source for the manual installation wrote that it is
not included in SP3 and that LLTD did not work before he
installed it manually.

It would be nice to have at least a second source though.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Bill

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

> It would be nice to have at least a second source though.

Well, I am not an authoritative source but I can say that LLTD did not
appear in the list for any network connection on any of my three XP SP3
machines. After following the manual install instruction LLTD did
appear on the network connections on all three XP SP3 machines.

--
..Bill.
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:09:58 -0700, Bill wrote:

>Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

>> It would be nice to have at least a second source though.

>Well, I am not an authoritative source but I can say that LLTD did not
>appear in the list for any network connection on any of my three XP SP3
>machines. After following the manual install instruction LLTD did
>appear on the network connections on all three XP SP3 machines.

Bill,

that would be an indication, but the question remains whether
the LLTD function was there even though LLTD was not explicitly
visible. The real question is whether a Vista PC can see XP SP3
PCs in its network map without the manual LLTD installation.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Bill

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

> The real question is whether a Vista PC can see XP SP3
> PCs in its network map without the manual LLTD installation.

In my case the answer is no. The Vista PC did not show any of the XP
PCs in its full map view until I performed the manual LLTD install on
the XP PCs. After installing LLTD on one XP PC I opened the full map in
Vista and that one XP PC was displayed. The other two were not. I then
installed LLTD on the other two, opend the full map view and all three
XP PCs were displayed.

--
..Bill.
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:03:51 -0700, Bill wrote:

>Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

>> The real question is whether a Vista PC can see XP SP3
>> PCs in its network map without the manual LLTD installation.

>In my case the answer is no. The Vista PC did not show any of the XP
>PCs in its full map view until I performed the manual LLTD install on
>the XP PCs. After installing LLTD on one XP PC I opened the full map in
>Vista and that one XP PC was displayed. The other two were not. I then
>installed LLTD on the other two, opend the full map view and all three
>XP PCs were displayed.

Bill,

well, that sounds pretty convincing.

So we conclude fairly firmly that Service Pack 3 does not
contain the LLTD function.

Thanks for the good information!

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Gordon

"Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:03:51 -0700, Bill wrote:
>
>>Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

>>> The real question is whether a Vista PC can see XP SP3
>>> PCs in its network map without the manual LLTD installation.

>>In my case the answer is no. The Vista PC did not show any of the XP
>>PCs in its full map view until I performed the manual LLTD install on
>>the XP PCs. After installing LLTD on one XP PC I opened the full map in
>>Vista and that one XP PC was displayed. The other two were not. I then
>>installed LLTD on the other two, opend the full map view and all three
>>XP PCs were displayed.

> Bill,
>
> well, that sounds pretty convincing.
>
> So we conclude fairly firmly that Service Pack 3 does not
> contain the LLTD function.
>
> Thanks for the good information!
>
> Hans-Georg

Interestingly I bought a new laptop three months ago. I connected it to my
network, and immediately the XP machine (Pro SP2) was visible, and with
shared files and folders, by the Vista machine. I did nothing to make it
happen. it just did.