Vista cannot see XP machines

Bill

Vista cannot see XP machines
I am very new to Vista. I have a small home network. The three XP
machines on the network use static IP addresses. One of the XP machines
shares a printer. When I open Windows Explorer on the new Vista
Business machine and click on Network the only computer listed is the
Vista Business machine. Network Discovery is turned on on the Vista
machine. The workgroup name is set to WORKGROUP on both the XP and
Vista machines.

I cannot find any way to search for a computer by entering the computer
name or IP address as I can in Explorer on XP. I have no idea what the
search box in the upper right corner is supposed to do but it does not
work. As soon as I type any character in the box it says "No items
match your search."

I can ping the XP machine from a command window on the Vista machine.

If I do DIR \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINT$ at the command prompt on the Vista
machine the directory on the XP machine is listed.

I can see the Vista machine in Explorer on the XP machine.

What must I do to allow Vista to see the other computers on the
network??? Thanks.

--
..Bill.
Steve Winograd

Re: Vista cannot see XP machines
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:44:37 -0700, "Bill" <no@no.com> wrote:

>I am very new to Vista. I have a small home network. The three XP
>machines on the network use static IP addresses. One of the XP machines
>shares a printer. When I open Windows Explorer on the new Vista
>Business machine and click on Network the only computer listed is the
>Vista Business machine. Network Discovery is turned on on the Vista
>machine. The workgroup name is set to WORKGROUP on both the XP and
>Vista machines.
>
>I cannot find any way to search for a computer by entering the computer
>name or IP address as I can in Explorer on XP. I have no idea what the
>search box in the upper right corner is supposed to do but it does not
>work. As soon as I type any character in the box it says "No items
>match your search."
>
>I can ping the XP machine from a command window on the Vista machine.
>
>If I do DIR \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINT$ at the command prompt on the Vista
>machine the directory on the XP machine is listed.
>
>I can see the Vista machine in Explorer on the XP machine.
>
>What must I do to allow Vista to see the other computers on the
>network??? Thanks.

To search for a computer, type its name in the Search box preceded by
two backslashes:

\\COMPUTERNAME

Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing
Center. Make sure that Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned
on. Configure the network as a private network.

If there's a firewall program (Norton, McAfee, etc), configure it to
allow access by other computers on the local area network. Note that
some antivirus programs have firewall components that have to be
configured, such as Norton Antivirus' "Internet Worm Protection".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista cannot see XP machines
The way I Network XP and Vista!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bill" wrote:

> I am very new to Vista. I have a small home network. The three XP
> machines on the network use static IP addresses. One of the XP machines
> shares a printer. When I open Windows Explorer on the new Vista
> Business machine and click on Network the only computer listed is the
> Vista Business machine. Network Discovery is turned on on the Vista
> machine. The workgroup name is set to WORKGROUP on both the XP and
> Vista machines.
>
> I cannot find any way to search for a computer by entering the computer
> name or IP address as I can in Explorer on XP. I have no idea what the
> search box in the upper right corner is supposed to do but it does not
> work. As soon as I type any character in the box it says "No items
> match your search."
>
> I can ping the XP machine from a command window on the Vista machine.
>
> If I do DIR \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINT$ at the command prompt on the Vista
> machine the directory on the XP machine is listed.
>
> I can see the Vista machine in Explorer on the XP machine.
>
> What must I do to allow Vista to see the other computers on the
> network??? Thanks.
>

> --
> ..Bill.

Bill

Re: Vista cannot see XP machines
Thanks for the reply.

> To search for a computer, type its name in the Search box preceded by
> two backslashes:
>
> \\COMPUTERNAME

Now that is intuitive, user freindly and discoverable.

> Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing
> Center. Make sure that Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned
> on. Configure the network as a private network.

Network Discovery is on. The network is a private network.

> If there's a firewall program (Norton, McAfee, etc), configure it to
> allow access by other computers on the local area network. Note that
> some antivirus programs have firewall components that have to be
> configured, such as Norton Antivirus' "Internet Worm Protection".

There is no 3rd party firewall or anti-virus program installed.

--
..Bill.
Bill

Re: Vista cannot see XP machines
Mick Murphy wrote:

I have checked everything in your list. Note that the XP computers can
see the Vista machine. My problem is that the Vista machine cannot see
_any_ XP machine. This has now happened with two different Vista
machines on two different networks (one Vista Home and one Vista
Business).

Sorry but I do not understand what I am supposed to look at in the
article you referred to or what the article has do do with my problem.
The article appears to be exclusively about shareing resources on
Vista. That is not what I am trying to do. I am trying to get Vista to
see shared resources on XP machines.

> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer
> Sharing Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if
> you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer to
> it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

I do not understand what you mean by "to include Vista in your
“New” Network". This is not a new network. I am adding a Vista
machine to an existing network of three XP machines. The network, the
XP machines, sharing files between the XP machines and sharing printers
between the XP machines works perfectly.

The problem is solely and exclusively with Vista. I can ping the XP
machines from the Vista machine but beyond that Vista cannot see _any_
XP machine on the network.

It is really frustrating that Microsoft has managed to make something
that was so simple in XP so complex (if I can ever get it to work) in
Vista.

Thanks for your help.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:09:14 -0700, "Bill" <no@no.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply.
>
>> To search for a computer, type its name in the Search box preceded by
>> two backslashes:
>>
>> \\COMPUTERNAME

>Now that is intuitive, user freindly and discoverable.
>
>> Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing
>> Center. Make sure that Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned
>> on. Configure the network as a private network.

>Network Discovery is on. The network is a private network.
>
>> If there's a firewall program (Norton, McAfee, etc), configure it to
>> allow access by other computers on the local area network. Note that
>> some antivirus programs have firewall components that have to be
>> configured, such as Norton Antivirus' "Internet Worm Protection".

>There is no 3rd party firewall or anti-virus program installed.

"\\COMPUTERNAME" to refer to a networked computer is hardly intuitive,
but that's what Windows has used since the days of Windows 95, and
possibly earlier.

You didn't say whether File Sharing is turned on.

Turn Network Discovery and File Sharing off, then turn them back on.
Go to the network connection properties and un-bind "Internet Protocol
Version 6". Those steps sometimes get file sharing to work on a
stubborn Vista computer.

Steve Winograd wrote:

> "\\COMPUTERNAME" to refer to a networked computer is hardly intuitive,
> but that's what Windows has used since the days of Windows 95, and
> possibly earlier.

I meant as compared to the Search button in Explorer in XP where all
you have to do is click Computer and type the name.

> You didn't say whether File Sharing is turned on.

File sharing and Network Discovery are on.

> Turn Network Discovery and File Sharing off, then turn them back on.
> Go to the network connection properties and un-bind "Internet Protocol
> Version 6". Those steps sometimes get file sharing to work on a
> stubborn Vista computer.

I unchecked IPv6 for the wireless network connection. Then I turned
Network Discovery and File sharing off then back on. Then I did a cold
boot. When I logged in all of the icons but 4 were gone from my
desktop. I logged out and logged in again and the desktop was back.
There is only one account on this PC so I know I logged in as the same
user both times. Unfortunately, I still cannot see the XP computers on
the network. I also turned off Windows Firewall then clicked Start |
Network but still cannot see the XP computers on the network.

--
..Bill.
Bill

Re: Vista cannot see XP machines
I also attempted to download and install the LLTD Responder on one of
the XP machines. It refused to install saying that the SP level was
newer than the LLTD update so installation was not necessary. At least
that resolves the question about whether the Responder is necessary on
XP SP3.

--
..Bill.
Bill

Re: Vista cannot see XP machines
I also turned Public Folder Sharing on and was able to see and edit
files in Public on the Vista machine from an XP machine. Whatever the
problem is it only involves see XP machines from Vista.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:48:59 -0700, "Bill" <no@no.com> wrote:

>I also attempted to download and install the LLTD Responder on one of
>the XP machines. It refused to install saying that the SP level was
>newer than the LLTD update so installation was not necessary. At least
>that resolves the question about whether the Responder is necessary on
>XP SP3.

The LLTD Responder isn't necessary on any version of Windows XP.