Remote assistance between XP and Vista machines

Olumide

Remote assistance between XP and Vista machines
Hello,

A friend needs me to help troubleshoot an application on his Windows
Vista machine. I have an XP machine, and both of happen to use routers
at home (he lives in a different city), and neither of us have unique
IP addresses, just local IP addresses and the address of our routers.
Connecting to each others machines is therefore a bit tricky. I'd
appreciate help in starting a remote assistance session with him.

Thanks,

- Olumide
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote assistance between XP and Vista machines
Speaking quite frankly I highly suggest using TeamViewer as an alternative
to Remote Assistance [RA]. In my experience its much faster and easier to
use than RA. TeamViewer is free for personal use. Using their connection
servers you or your friend don't need to worry about opening ports on any
routers or firewalls your behind.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Olumide" <50295@web.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> A friend needs me to help troubleshoot an application on his Windows
> Vista machine. I have an XP machine, and both of happen to use routers
> at home (he lives in a different city), and neither of us have unique
> IP addresses, just local IP addresses and the address of our routers.
> Connecting to each others machines is therefore a bit tricky. I'd
> appreciate help in starting a remote assistance session with him.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Olumide

Malke

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:

> Speaking quite frankly I highly suggest using TeamViewer as an alternative
> to Remote Assistance [RA]. In my experience its much faster and easier to
> use than RA. TeamViewer is free for personal use. Using their connection
> servers you or your friend don't need to worry about opening ports on any
> routers or firewalls your behind.
>
> http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

I don't usually do "me too" postings, but I want to second that. TeamViewer
is really, really excellent. Of course if the OP wants it for business, it
is crazy expensive. But for personal use it is perfect.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers