XP Vista Network

Rockabilly Rios

XP Vista Network
Well I have spent 2 days going through all the posts trying to figure out why
my XP computer and my VISTA won't share files. I've set all the TCP/IP
stuff, ive disabled all firewalls that I know of and McAfee. I've pinged
both ways. Ive set shared folders.

I have to a place where my Vista now sees my XP. But when I click on it,
"Access Denied".

I am connected through a wireless router with both ethernet cables plugged in.

I am getting low on hope. I even tried mostly everything with browstat and
everything Chuck's Network said to do about certain things....but each
computer still doesnt show up on the browstat.

Any suggestions?
Aaron Kelley

Re: XP Vista Network
Assuming you are using XP Professional (the following will not work in XP
Home):

On the XP machine, in any folder, go to Tools -> Folder Options, go to the
View tab, scroll to the bottom, and turn off the box that says something
like "Use simple file sharing." Then, reboot the XP machine.

You will now notice two new things. If you right-click any file or folder
and go to Properties, there will be a "Security" tab with file security
options (which users and can do what and so forth). We don't care about
that. However, there is also a "Permissions" button that brings up similar
settings to do with shares, that you can access from the Sharing tab. Here
you can set permissions of which users are allowed to access files over the
network.

Now when you connect to from the Vista machine, you should be prompted to
enter a username and password. Put in a username and password of an account
on the XP machine and you should be able to access the stuff that the user
is able to access.

Note that you will not be prompted for a name and password when you connect
from Vista->XP if:
- You have not rebooted the XP machine yet. (The security settings will be
available immediately but you need to reboot the XP machine for simple file
sharing to be completely off.)
- You are using the same username and password on both machines, in which
case, it will automatically log you in as the user you are.
- You are using the same username but *different* passwords on both
machines, in which case, sometimes it behaves strangely in my experience.

Hope this helps.

--
- Aaron
"Rockabilly Rios" <Rockabilly Rios@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> Well I have spent 2 days going through all the posts trying to figure out
> why
> my XP computer and my VISTA won't share files. I've set all the TCP/IP
> stuff, ive disabled all firewalls that I know of and McAfee. I've pinged
> both ways. Ive set shared folders.
>
> I have to a place where my Vista now sees my XP. But when I click on it,
> "Access Denied".
>
> I am connected through a wireless router with both ethernet cables plugged
> in.
>
> I am getting low on hope. I even tried mostly everything with browstat
> and
> everything Chuck's Network said to do about certain things....but each
> computer still doesnt show up on the browstat.
>
> Any suggestions?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: XP Vista Network
For troubleshooting, start both systems with clean boot. Can you ping each
other by IP?
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Rockabilly Rios" <Rockabilly Rios@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2E43EC50-833A-456D-B96F-E690D26FF33B@microsoft.com...
> Well I have spent 2 days going through all the posts trying to figure out
> why
> my XP computer and my VISTA won't share files. I've set all the TCP/IP
> stuff, ive disabled all firewalls that I know of and McAfee. I've pinged
> both ways. Ive set shared folders.
>
> I have to a place where my Vista now sees my XP. But when I click on it,
> "Access Denied".
>
> I am connected through a wireless router with both ethernet cables plugged
> in.
>
> I am getting low on hope. I even tried mostly everything with browstat
> and
> everything Chuck's Network said to do about certain things....but each
> computer still doesnt show up on the browstat.
>
> Any suggestions?

Mick Murphy

RE: XP Vista Network

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Rockabilly Rios" wrote:

> Well I have spent 2 days going through all the posts trying to figure out why
> my XP computer and my VISTA won't share files. I've set all the TCP/IP
> stuff, ive disabled all firewalls that I know of and McAfee. I've pinged
> both ways. Ive set shared folders.
>
> I have to a place where my Vista now sees my XP. But when I click on it,
> "Access Denied".
>
> I am connected through a wireless router with both ethernet cables plugged in.
>
> I am getting low on hope. I even tried mostly everything with browstat and
> everything Chuck's Network said to do about certain things....but each
> computer still doesnt show up on the browstat.
>
> Any suggestions?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: XP Vista Network
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Rockabilly Rios" <Rockabilly Rios@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2E43EC50-833A-456D-B96F-E690D26FF33B@microsoft.com...
> Well I have spent 2 days going through all the posts trying to figure out
> why
> my XP computer and my VISTA won't share files. I've set all the TCP/IP
> stuff, ive disabled all firewalls that I know of and McAfee. I've pinged
> both ways. Ive set shared folders.
>
> I have to a place where my Vista now sees my XP. But when I click on it,
> "Access Denied".
>
> I am connected through a wireless router with both ethernet cables plugged
> in.
>
> I am getting low on hope. I even tried mostly everything with browstat
> and
> everything Chuck's Network said to do about certain things....but each
> computer still doesnt show up on the browstat.
>
> Any suggestions?

Rockabilly Rios

RE: XP Vista Network
New Developtment: I just happened to disconnect my computers from the
internet (still connected to router though)...and low and behold, I could
share files between computers!

However, I do need my computers hooked up to the net. Anyone know what the
deal may be? Im guessing the internet may be getting in the way some how.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Rockabilly Rios" wrote:
>
> > Well I have spent 2 days going through all the posts trying to figure out why
> > my XP computer and my VISTA won't share files. I've set all the TCP/IP
> > stuff, ive disabled all firewalls that I know of and McAfee. I've pinged
> > both ways. Ive set shared folders.
> >
> > I have to a place where my Vista now sees my XP. But when I click on it,
> > "Access Denied".
> >
> > I am connected through a wireless router with both ethernet cables plugged in.
> >
> > I am getting low on hope. I even tried mostly everything with browstat and
> > everything Chuck's Network said to do about certain things....but each
> > computer still doesnt show up on the browstat.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Krogoth

RE: XP Vista Network
I have the exact same problem as Rockabilly Rios. I originally had the
problem fixed by making an "Everyone" account in the security settings, but
that quit working after the update to SP1. The only thing I come across on
the internet is that article that Mick Murphy keeps spamming, which doesn't
help anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Krogoth

"Rockabilly Rios" wrote:

> I have to a place where my Vista now sees my XP. But when I click on it,
> "Access Denied".

Hans-Georg Michna

Re: XP Vista Network
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:49:01 -0700, Rockabilly Rios wrote:

>New Developtment: I just happened to disconnect my computers from the
>internet (still connected to router though)...and low and behold, I could
>share files between computers!

How did you do that? If disconnecting the router from its
Internet connection prevents the attached computers from
communicating then that casts a lot of doubt on the router. Try
a different one.

What kind of router is that? Don't say Linksys. (:-)

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
SG735

RE: XP Vista Network
the very first thing you have to do to share the internet with xp and vista
is ....
do the following steps-
step1- on the XP first download an update for your windows..
i.e of LLTD link layer topology discovery from the windows microsoft's
site... install the update and change the settings in local_machine registry
get this way-
run regedit.exe > hkey_local_machine > system > currentcontrolset > control
> lsa >

and here find the restrictanonymous and change its value to 0 and then find
restrictanonymoussam and change its value to 1.
The above step enables Vista to see the XP and shows the full map of the
network when you

connect the two.
step2- On doing the above step now or before step 1 connect the two machines
and assign

them the addresses [static IPsss]
remember the client's IP and on the host if you are using any anti-virus
software then

configure it to trust your clients IP.
having set on XP to share the internet and configuuring the firewalls you
may now use the

ICS and LAN both at the same time.[Do remember to have the same workgroup]

"Rockabilly Rios" wrote:

> Well I have spent 2 days going through all the posts trying to figure out why
> my XP computer and my VISTA won't share files. I've set all the TCP/IP
> stuff, ive disabled all firewalls that I know of and McAfee. I've pinged
> both ways. Ive set shared folders.
>
> I have to a place where my Vista now sees my XP. But when I click on it,
> "Access Denied".
>
> I am connected through a wireless router with both ethernet cables plugged in.
>
> I am getting low on hope. I even tried mostly everything with browstat and
> everything Chuck's Network said to do about certain things....but each
> computer still doesnt show up on the browstat.
>
> Any suggestions?

SG735

RE: XP Vista Network