remote desktop stopped working - no error message

mountainag

remote desktop stopped working - no error message
After installing some updates for Vista and McAfee at the office and XP and
McAfee at home, my remote desktop connection (Vista to XP) no longer works.
No error message comes up, just nothing happens after entering the password
and clicking yes to connect without verifying. Any ideas?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
Can you telnet port 3389?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"mountainag" <mountainag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After installing some updates for Vista and McAfee at the office and XP
> and
> McAfee at home, my remote desktop connection (Vista to XP) no longer
> works.
> No error message comes up, just nothing happens after entering the
> password
> and clicking yes to connect without verifying. Any ideas?

mountainag

Re: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
How do you do that?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can you telnet port 3389?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "mountainag" <mountainag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After installing some updates for Vista and McAfee at the office and XP
> > and
> > McAfee at home, my remote desktop connection (Vista to XP) no longer
> > works.
> > No error message comes up, just nothing happens after entering the
> > password
> > and clicking yes to connect without verifying. Any ideas?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
Find out the remote site IP address, then do telnet remoteipaddress 3389?

--
news543F3DB-23B4-44EE-A604-10F96D384FEB@microsoft.com...
> How do you do that?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can you telnet port 3389?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "mountainag" <mountainag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After installing some updates for Vista and McAfee at the office and XP
>> > and
>> > McAfee at home, my remote desktop connection (Vista to XP) no longer
>> > works.
>> > No error message comes up, just nothing happens after entering the
>> > password
>> > and clicking yes to connect without verifying. Any ideas?

mountainag

Re: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
Thanks for helping, but I don't know how to "do" telnet. What application do
you use? I've tried typing it in at the command prompt, under run, in
internet explorer and nothing recognizes telnet. I know the IP address, so
where do I type in "telnet remoteipaddress 3389"?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Find out the remote site IP address, then do telnet remoteipaddress 3389?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "mountainag" <mountainag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news543F3DB-23B4-44EE-A604-10F96D384FEB@microsoft.com...
> > How do you do that?
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you telnet port 3389?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

mountainag

Re: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
Thanks for your help, but how do I "do" telnet? What application do I use?
Where do I type "telnet remoteipaddress 3389"? Tried command prompt, run,
internet explorer - none of which work. I know the remote ip address.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Find out the remote site IP address, then do telnet remoteipaddress 3389?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "mountainag" <mountainag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news543F3DB-23B4-44EE-A604-10F96D384FEB@microsoft.com...
> > How do you do that?
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you telnet port 3389?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Rocklett

RE: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
Hi This had me baffled for quite a while.

If you have NVidia graphics (if you haven't, stop reading I don't have the answer) and have the latest version of the driver installed on your XP desktop, uninstall them carefully removing all traces of them, reboot and install an older version, Remote Desktop on XP will then respond to connections. Crappy NVidia drivers again.

mountainag

RE: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
Thanks. I'll try that, but the reason I updated the drivers was because the
old drivers had started to crash my machine for some reason.

"Rocklett" wrote:

> Hi This had me baffled for quite a while.
>
> If you have NVidia graphics (if you haven't, stop reading I don't have the answer) and have the latest version of the driver installed on your XP desktop, uninstall them carefully removing all traces of them, reboot and install an older version, Remote Desktop on XP will then respond to connections. Crappy NVidia drivers again.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
This how to may help.
Vista How to
How to disable Vista firewall using Group Policy ... How to Enable
Remote Desktop On Vista · How to: Enable telnet on Vista · How to: Enabling
ICS on Vista ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

--
> Thanks for helping, but I don't know how to "do" telnet. What application
> do
> you use? I've tried typing it in at the command prompt, under run, in
> internet explorer and nothing recognizes telnet. I know the IP address, so
> where do I type in "telnet remoteipaddress 3389"?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Find out the remote site IP address, then do telnet remoteipaddress 3389?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "mountainag" <mountainag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news543F3DB-23B4-44EE-A604-10F96D384FEB@microsoft.com...
>> > How do you do that?

davanhi

RE: remote desktop stopped working - no error message
I had same problem - our IT people at work looked but could not find problem
- I uninstalled SP1 and the connection worked perfectly. Hope this helps