Public folder

Andre De Clercq

Public folder
When I put e.g. documents in my publick folder, do they appear automatically
in the private folder too? Do I really need 2 folders to see all my docs in
vista?

Gordon

Re: Public folder
"Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
> When I put e.g. documents in my publick folder, do they appear
> automatically in the private folder too? Do I really need 2 folders to see
> all my docs in vista?

The public folder is for documents and files that you want to be
automatically available to other users, whether local or on a network.

Malke

Re: Public folder
Andre De Clercq wrote:

> When I put e.g. documents in my publick folder, do they appear
> automatically in the private folder too? Do I really need 2 folders to see
> all my docs in vista?

No, they do not automatically duplicate themselves. The Public folder is for
when you want to share files with others on the computer or on other
computers on the network without sharing your own personal user directory.
If you are all by yourself or not sharing those files, there is no reason
to ever use the Public folder. Just leave it alone. You can't delete it
because it is a system folder (other multi-user operating systems like Mac
OS X, Linux, and Unix have a Public folder too).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Andre De Clercq

Re: Public folder
Thanks. So there is no way to set e.g. a drive (C:\) to be accessible on the
network, even if it is being set as "shared".

> Andre De Clercq wrote:
>
>> When I put e.g. documents in my publick folder, do they appear
>> automatically in the private folder too? Do I really need 2 folders to
>> see
>> all my docs in vista?

> No, they do not automatically duplicate themselves. The Public folder is
> for
> when you want to share files with others on the computer or on other
> computers on the network without sharing your own personal user directory.
> If you are all by yourself or not sharing those files, there is no reason
> to ever use the Public folder. Just leave it alone. You can't delete it
> because it is a system folder (other multi-user operating systems like Mac
> OS X, Linux, and Unix have a Public folder too).
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Tom Lake

> Thanks. So there is no way to set e.g. a drive (C:\) to be accessible on the
> network, even if it is being set as "shared".

Yes you can share an entire C drive if you want to.

That's a different thing from public and private folders altogether.

Tom Lake

Andre De Clercq

Re: Public folder
The problem is that I can get all my network shares from 2 XP pc's on my
Vista. but, although I have set the local drives on my vista as shared, with
all the settings in the network and share center set as proposed in the
moomitch thread, I still get "access denied" when I want to open those vista
drives on the XP pc's. Only the vista Public folder can be opened on the
XP's

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>> Thanks. So there is no way to set e.g. a drive (C:\) to be accessible on
>> the network, even if it is being set as "shared".

> Yes you can share an entire C drive if you want to.
>
> That's a different thing from public and private folders altogether.
>
> Tom Lake

Malke

Re: Public folder
Andre De Clercq wrote:

> The problem is that I can get all my network shares from 2 XP pc's on my
> Vista. but, although I have set the local drives on my vista as shared,
> with all the settings in the network and share center set as proposed in
> the moomitch thread, I still get "access denied" when I want to open those
> vista drives on the XP pc's. Only the vista Public folder can be opened on
> the XP's

Then you have something set up wrong in your networking, which is a very
different question than your original one. See below for general networking
information, including the extra work you must do to share the root of C:\
in Vista (not recommended).

*****
Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3)
not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines;
4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO ASSIGN
PASSWORDS, EVEN IF THEY ARE JUST SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot
directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for
convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link work for both
XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.
*****
Sharing the root of a drive (Michael Bell - MS)

When you share out the root of a drive in Vista, the UI only allows this
through the advanced sharing option. When the advanced sharing option is
used it only sets the share permissions. The actual permissions on a file
share are a combination of Folder and Share permissions. In Vista the
everyone group doesn not have permissions so when you connect without a
password the system you can see the folders but not access them or possibly
connect to the share but fail to open it.

1. Open Computer
2. Right click on the shared drive and select properties from the context
menu
3. Select the Security Tab in the displayed properties sheet.

If you are connecting to the computer with no password then you are
connecting with the guest account. In order to access the files on the
drive, the everyone group needs to have access set here.
*****

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Mick Murphy

Re: Public folder
Below is how I network the two.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Andre De Clercq" wrote:

> The problem is that I can get all my network shares from 2 XP pc's on my
> Vista. but, although I have set the local drives on my vista as shared, with
> all the settings in the network and share center set as proposed in the
> moomitch thread, I still get "access denied" when I want to open those vista
> drives on the XP pc's. Only the vista Public folder can be opened on the
> XP's
>

> "Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
> >> Thanks. So there is no way to set e.g. a drive (C:\) to be accessible on
> >> the network, even if it is being set as "shared".

> > Yes you can share an entire C drive if you want to.
> >
> > That's a different thing from public and private folders altogether.
> >
> > Tom Lake

Andre De Clercq

Re: Public folder
Right Malke, I started with something different but I was (am) desperately
trying to share my Vista on my netwek.Sorry and thanks for the new info.