New External HDD sharing problem

Banjo666

New External HDD sharing problem
I have just installed a new USB external hard disc and although I have set it
up to be shared and it appears on the network, I can't access it from other
computers on the network. When I try tro access the drive I get an access
denied, 0x80070005 error, saying I don't have the right path or password.
Any solutions ?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: New External HDD sharing problem
Have you assigned permissions in Security tab? Or these search results may
help.
Can't access XP with error 0x80070005
In many cases, 0x80070005 error is access denied error. It could be
permission issue, name resolution issue or computer browser issue. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2201 - Similar pages

chicagotech.net :: View topic - Fixed Error code 0x80070005 by ...
Fixed Error code 0x80070005 by creating the same username ... Windows
OS Can't access XP with error 0x80070005 · Vista can ping XP but ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...4a025 d83ea7f

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Banjo666" <Banjo666@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just installed a new USB external hard disc and although I have set
>it
> up to be shared and it appears on the network, I can't access it from
> other
> computers on the network. When I try tro access the drive I get an access
> denied, 0x80070005 error, saying I don't have the right path or password.
> Any solutions ?

Banjo666

Re: New External HDD sharing problem
I have set all the permissions I can find under the Security tab.
Under the Locations setting all I can find is the host PC.
I have changed the usernames on both computers to the same name.
I take it by username you mean the name you logon to the computer with when
it starts up ??

the error message I get is:
""d" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was
denied access.
Windows cannot further disgnose the problem because network disgnostics does
not know the user name or password that is required to connect to the shared
folder."

Frustrated,
Chris

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Have you assigned permissions in Security tab? Or these search results may
> help.
> Can't access XP with error 0x80070005
> In many cases, 0x80070005 error is access denied error. It could be
> permission issue, name resolution issue or computer browser issue. ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2201 - Similar pages
>
> chicagotech.net :: View topic - Fixed Error code 0x80070005 by ...
> Fixed Error code 0x80070005 by creating the same username ... Windows
> OS Can't access XP with error 0x80070005 · Vista can ping XP but ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...4a025 d83ea7f
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Banjo666" <Banjo666@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just installed a new USB external hard disc and although I have set
> >it
> > up to be shared and it appears on the network, I can't access it from
> > other
> > computers on the network. When I try tro access the drive I get an access
> > denied, 0x80070005 error, saying I don't have the right path or password.
> > Any solutions ?

Malke

Banjo666 wrote:

> I have set all the permissions I can find under the Security tab.
> Under the Locations setting all I can find is the host PC.
> I have changed the usernames on both computers to the same name.
> I take it by username you mean the name you logon to the computer with
> when it starts up ??
>
> the error message I get is:
> ""d" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was
> denied access.
> Windows cannot further disgnose the problem because network disgnostics
> does not know the user name or password that is required to connect to the
> shared folder."

I think the key clue is "I have changed the usernames on both computers to
the same name". You can't change user accounts by simply renaming them. The
renaming is cosmetic only and the real original user account is unchanged.

Change your user names back to what they were and then create matching user
accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need to be logged into
the same account on all machines and the passwords assigned to each user
account can be different; the accounts/passwords just need to exist and
match on all machines. If you wish a machine to boot directly to the
Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you can do
this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: New External HDD sharing problem
Try one more thing, take the ownership.
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows
If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select
the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box. ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Secur...ownership4.htm