Vista and XP can't file or printer share

Moomitch

Vista and XP can't file or printer share
I need a simple step by step explanation of how to make this new Vista laptop
communicate with my XP desk top. I have tried everything I can find on the
various forums out there and either none of it works or I just don't know
enough about computers to make it happen. I can't afford to pay someone to
come to my house. Can anyone help me?

I imagine by this point I have really screwed it up by trying so many
different things. I have no problem accessing the net but can't get the
network set up to work. HELP!
Eric Cross

Re: Vista and XP can't file or printer share
Hello Moomitch,

If you haven't already, please review this TechNet article on file an
printer sharing with Windows Vista. If you have any further questions or
problems then let us know.

Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Moomitch" <Moomitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need a simple step by step explanation of how to make this new Vista
>laptop
> communicate with my XP desk top. I have tried everything I can find on
> the
> various forums out there and either none of it works or I just don't know
> enough about computers to make it happen. I can't afford to pay someone
> come to my house. Can anyone help me?
>
> I imagine by this point I have really screwed it up by trying so many
> different things. I have no problem accessing the net but can't get the
> network set up to work. HELP!

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista and XP can't file or printer share
Have a read of what is below to Network XP and Vista.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Moomitch" wrote:

> I need a simple step by step explanation of how to make this new Vista laptop
> communicate with my XP desk top. I have tried everything I can find on the
> various forums out there and either none of it works or I just don't know
> enough about computers to make it happen. I can't afford to pay someone to
> come to my house. Can anyone help me?
>
> I imagine by this point I have really screwed it up by trying so many
> different things. I have no problem accessing the net but can't get the
> network set up to work. HELP!

Mahieux

RE: Vista and XP can't file or printer share
Hi Mick
I'm an ex MCSE and have been using shares since 1994 (3.1WFW)......but ....
Unless I missed some bits , I seem to experience the same trouble as Moomitch
XP french , anf Vista English usually did not cause any trouble on my LAN
since few weeks for God knows what Patch installed it seems that The file
sharing became unidirectional : easy as usual shared by Vista used by XP ,
problematic to access XP shares from Vista . When I attempt to map a drive I
am requested username password (identical on both sides) ? ....no !!!! =>
Insert Smart Card !
Attempted then to get both at the latest peer level XP SP3 and Vista SP1
RFM everywhere on the net and MS Tech Support ,
Network discovery is OK on both sides
Network is in deed private
Sharing is on
Firewalls are On (and Off for testing purposes)
not any way to set password protection off .......where do I go from here ?

Thanks for shedding some light

Cheers
Thierry