Suddenly cannot connect to internet thru wireless router

merry dove

Suddenly cannot connect to internet thru wireless router
Have a wireless router and cable modem on computer #2 in one bedroom.
Suddenly computer #1 in another bedroom cannot connect to to internet.
Worked fine until one morning. No settings were changed. Laptop has no
problems connecting. Internal network device shows as working properly.
Network is there - available to choose and connect to with all green bars but
attempts to connect and diagnose suggest "low wireless signal quality." All
recommendations have been followed to connect but nothing has worked.
Computer is less than 1 year old. Is it possible that an updated driver for
the wireless adapter would help? I am going to humiliate myself and ask the
stupidest question ever - the same day it quit working, some very large
construction equipment was parked in an empty lot next door to us. Could
this interfere with any signals?
--
non-tech person
Barb Bowman

Re: Suddenly cannot connect to internet thru wireless router
if the equipment is between the computer and the wireless, router,
yes. and, if they are running equipment that uses the 2.4GHz band,
yes.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:07:22 -0700, merry dove
<merrydove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am going to humiliate myself and ask the
>stupidest question ever - the same day it quit working, some very large
>construction equipment was parked in an empty lot next door to us. Could
>this interfere with any signals?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Michael Walraven

Re: Suddenly cannot connect to internet thru wireless router
The construction units may be using a wireless setup that is using the same
channel as you are set up to.
Try changing the channel number being used by your router.
(in general you will need to login to your router - possibly at
192.168.1.1 - and open up a page that says something like 'wireless setup',
select a channel other than your are currently using). Check your manual if
you have one.

Michael

"merry dove" <merrydove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have a wireless router and cable modem on computer #2 in one bedroom.
> Suddenly computer #1 in another bedroom cannot connect to to internet.
> Worked fine until one morning. No settings were changed. Laptop has no
> problems connecting. Internal network device shows as working properly.
> Network is there - available to choose and connect to with all green bars
> but
> attempts to connect and diagnose suggest "low wireless signal quality."
> All
> recommendations have been followed to connect but nothing has worked.
> Computer is less than 1 year old. Is it possible that an updated driver
> for
> the wireless adapter would help? I am going to humiliate myself and ask
> the
> stupidest question ever - the same day it quit working, some very large
> construction equipment was parked in an empty lot next door to us. Could
> this interfere with any signals?
> --
> non-tech person

merry dove

Re: Suddenly cannot connect to internet thru wireless router
Barb, The equipment is sitting there - not being used - sitting in front of
the bedroom window. The router is located in the adjacent bedroom so the
equipment isn't exactly between the router and computer. I just thought it
odd that the date they parked this stuff on the lot my internet connection
was gone.

Michael, I tried your suggestion and changed to Channel 1 and to Channel 11
(default was Channel 6). Unfortunately, I still could not connect.

Would it be a waste of time to download the latest version of the internal
network device driver? I would have to download it to my laptop and copy it
to a CD in order to get it to the other computer.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

--
terry

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> if the equipment is between the computer and the wireless, router,
> yes. and, if they are running equipment that uses the 2.4GHz band,
> yes.
>
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:07:22 -0700, merry dove
> <merrydove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am going to humiliate myself and ask the
> >stupidest question ever - the same day it quit working, some very large
> >construction equipment was parked in an empty lot next door to us. Could
> >this interfere with any signals?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Suddenly cannot connect to internet thru wireless router
have you tried a factory reset on the router, returning everything
to default settings?

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:55:00 -0700, merry dove
<merrydove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Barb, The equipment is sitting there - not being used - sitting in front of
>the bedroom window. The router is located in the adjacent bedroom so the
>equipment isn't exactly between the router and computer. I just thought it
>odd that the date they parked this stuff on the lot my internet connection
>was gone.
>
>Michael, I tried your suggestion and changed to Channel 1 and to Channel 11
>(default was Channel 6). Unfortunately, I still could not connect.
>
>Would it be a waste of time to download the latest version of the internal
>network device driver? I would have to download it to my laptop and copy it
>to a CD in order to get it to the other computer.
>
>Your help is greatly appreciated!

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
merry dove

Re: Suddenly cannot connect to internet thru wireless router
I'm a little afraid to do that since our other computers are connecting ok.
Now, after a week of not using the computer, it doesn't even recognize the
network. Guess I'll be taking it in to the shop. Maybe the network adapter
went kapooey. I don't know how to re-install the network adapter if I
uninstall it. Thanks for all the suggestions.
--
terry

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> have you tried a factory reset on the router, returning everything
> to default settings?
>
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:55:00 -0700, merry dove
> <merrydove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Barb, The equipment is sitting there - not being used - sitting in front of
> >the bedroom window. The router is located in the adjacent bedroom so the
> >equipment isn't exactly between the router and computer. I just thought it
> >odd that the date they parked this stuff on the lot my internet connection
> >was gone.
> >
> >Michael, I tried your suggestion and changed to Channel 1 and to Channel 11
> >(default was Channel 6). Unfortunately, I still could not connect.
> >
> >Would it be a waste of time to download the latest version of the internal
> >network device driver? I would have to download it to my laptop and copy it
> >to a CD in order to get it to the other computer.
> >
> >Your help is greatly appreciated!

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Suddenly cannot connect to internet thru wireless router
please let us know the results.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:49:05 -0700, merry dove