Remote Desktop Stopped Working

John Ciccone

Remote Desktop Stopped Working
Is this even the correct group? XP has a RD section, but I don't see one here
unde r the Vista section.

I don't know... working fine for months. Now I can't connect from home (XP
Pro) to office (Vista Home Prem) or XP Pro to XP Pro or anything else for
that matter.

I've rebooted; activated/deactivated Remote access; activated / deactivate
antivirus; activated/deactivated firewall (none used, only Linksys router).

And many combinations thereof, many, many, many times.

All that's left is hysterical sobbing.

Can anyone help? Please?
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop Stopped Working
Well first off the Vista Home Premium PC at the office can *NOT* act as a
Remote Desktop [RDC] host/server so when you say "I can't connect from home
(XP Pro) to office (Vista Home Prem)" that is to be expected. Only Vista
Ultimate/Business can act as a RDC host/server. So is that a typo?

When you say you can't connect XP Pro to XP Pro where are those PCs located,
ie. at the office on the same LAN or is one remote to the other?

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"John Ciccone" <JohnCiccone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is this even the correct group? XP has a RD section, but I don't see one
> here
> unde r the Vista section.
>
> I don't know... working fine for months. Now I can't connect from home (XP
> Pro) to office (Vista Home Prem) or XP Pro to XP Pro or anything else for
> that matter.
>
> I've rebooted; activated/deactivated Remote access; activated / deactivate
> antivirus; activated/deactivated firewall (none used, only Linksys
> router).
>
> And many combinations thereof, many, many, many times.
>
> All that's left is hysterical sobbing.
>
> Can anyone help? Please?

John Ciccone

Re: Remote Desktop Stopped Working
Thank you.

Not a typo... I'd found an effective way to use Home Prem as a host.
http://www.unet.fi/fransblog/2007/08...-home-premium/

Home: XP Pro; router/modem

The following offices computers are all using the same modem and Linksys
router:
Office 1: Vista Home Prem
Office 2: XP Home
Office 3: XP Pro

Up to a couple days ago, anything could connect to anything else (Office 2
could not be a host). Last couple of days nothing can connect to anything
else.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Well first off the Vista Home Premium PC at the office can *NOT* act as a
> Remote Desktop [RDC] host/server so when you say "I can't connect from home
> (XP Pro) to office (Vista Home Prem)" that is to be expected. Only Vista
> Ultimate/Business can act as a RDC host/server. So is that a typo?
>
> When you say you can't connect XP Pro to XP Pro where are those PCs located,
> ie. at the office on the same LAN or is one remote to the other?
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "John Ciccone" <JohnCiccone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is this even the correct group? XP has a RD section, but I don't see one
> > here
> > unde r the Vista section.
> >
> > I don't know... working fine for months. Now I can't connect from home (XP
> > Pro) to office (Vista Home Prem) or XP Pro to XP Pro or anything else for
> > that matter.
> >
> > I've rebooted; activated/deactivated Remote access; activated / deactivate
> > antivirus; activated/deactivated firewall (none used, only Linksys
> > router).
> >
> > And many combinations thereof, many, many, many times.
> >
> > All that's left is hysterical sobbing.
> >
> > Can anyone help? Please?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop Stopped Working
Well as far as the hack for Vista Home Premium is concerned I suggest you
check with the folks that provided that hack for help. They would be the
experts in that area.

As far as the XP Pro box at work is Remote Desktop enabled on that machine?

If so do you have any software firewall that may be blocking incoming RDC
connections from other PCs on the LAN?

There is troubleshooting help here. Read through it and post back...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

If you can't connect from a local PC on the same LAN using the XP Pro
machines private LAN IP you will never connect from a remote site.

When trying to connect from a remote location make sure TCP Port 3389 is
forwarded through the Linksys router to the XP Pro machines private static
LAN IP address. Call using the public IP of the router or use a fully
qualified domain name if you use a service like No-IP.com or DynDNS for
example.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ple_PC_RD.html